2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
In conclusion for an everyday drive of an hybrid car for better fuel economy & healthy break pad one should always drive in L ?

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
266 Posts
In conclusion for an everyday drive of an hybrid car for better fuel economy & healthy break pad one should always drive in L ?

Gliding in N (zero power flow on the left meter) instead of braking or regen’ing is more efficient but it’s usually not legal nor feasible in most driving conditions as it takes a long, long time to glide to a stop even from 30mph.

Coasting in D (no application of either pedal) is next best but has some regen built in (see power guage).

Regen in L has some built in inefficiencies when flowing power from the (re)generating motor through the inverter to the battery. It’s not a lot but that inefficiency is greater than gliding.

Using regular friction brakes is the least efficient since most energy floats away into the atmosphere in the form of heat from the brake rotors/calipers.

I drive in L mode nearly 100% of the time because it‘s reasonably efficient and, most importantly to me, it gives me more of a one-pedal driving experience; once one resets old muscle memory from years of coasting/braking.

Summation: drive in L and don’t use the friction brakes till the very end of the stop. Hybrid drivers that do this can easily get over 100k miles from a set of brake pads. BTDT

HTH

·
Registered
183 Posts
Drove in L yesterday for the first time and did enjoy it. Not quite as much regen braking as I'd like, but definitely an improvement over dancing between the pedals. My only concern is the lack of brake lights from what I've read. Haven't independently tested myself, but it just seems foolish to not have the brake lights illuminate. It'd make me feel better about using it... I don't think it'll be much of an issue for urban driving, but on rural roads or highways where higher speeds are in effect, the regen braking is stronger, and can shave off speed pretty quickly with no warning to drivers behind you who may not be expecting you to slow down.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My only concern is the lack of brake lights from what I've read. Haven't independently tested myself, but it just seems foolish to not have the brake lights illuminate.
And you’re not the first with this concern.

The regen decelleration rate on the Pachy is pretty low. My former Volt, equipped with regen paddles+L, was capable of much greater slowing force.

Manual transmission vehicles can easily decel greater with a hard downshift and those have been around since the beginning. My large V-twin engine motorcycles are capable of tremendous decel; to the point of locking up the rear tire with no brake lights.

There is an actual decel rate value in the federal DOT regulations for brake light activation. IIRC, only some of the current BEV’s capable of tremendous regen (because they have a large battery pack that can soak up all that power coming its way) have brake light activation.

·
Registered
183 Posts
And you’re not the first with this concern.

The regen decelleration rate on the Pachy is pretty low. My former Volt, equipped with regen paddles+L, was capable of much greater slowing force.

Manual transmission vehicles can easily decel greater with a hard downshift and those have been around since the beginning. My large V-twin engine motorcycles are capable of tremendous decel; to the point of locking up the rear tire with no brake lights.

There is an actual decel rate value in the federal DOT regulations for brake light activation. IIRC, only some of the current BEV’s capable of tremendous regen (because they have a large battery pack that can soak up all that power coming its way) have brake light activation.
I'm basing my thoughts from my prior experiences owning Teslas, which only actually don't use much more regen than what the PacHy is capable of. You don't need a huge battery to regen brake at high rates for short periods of time. The PacHy hits 60+ kW of regen with the brake pedal which is substantial. There's no excuse for any vehicle to not activate brake lights when a certain deceleration threshold is met. Plenty of sensors (speedometer, G, etc.) can be used to accurately calculate when to activate them. The PacHy in L mode seems to regen over 30 kW on its own at higher speeds. That is beyond a comfortable threshold to activate brake lights. ****, you can barely rest your foot on the brake pedal and activate brake lights in any vehicle. And yet, using any other number of ways to decelerate ignores the safety benefit of using brake lights? Blows my mind. Idiotic regulators and car manufacturers.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you are hybrid and want the best mileage put it in L every time. There are no gears, so no additional wear on drive train. Those moving the dial back and forth from D to L simply have to contend with a more burdensome drive and possibly earlier failure of the selector switch.
Except that leaving the selector in “L” will many times unnecessarily engage regenerative braking which is not the most efficient way to drive the vehicle. If you have mastered the ability to let up on the accelerator pedal just enough so as to not engage the regenerative braking then maybe you’ll have some success.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Except that leaving the selector in “L” will many times unnecessarily engage regenerative braking which is not the most efficient way to drive the vehicle. If you have mastered the ability to let up on the accelerator pedal just enough so as to not engage the regenerative braking then maybe you’ll have some success.
I tried it once so far in my 2021 and have the exact same impression. I need to work on balancing the pedal input next time, but it added unwanted regen and cannot be more efficient than coasting in D

·
Registered
266 Posts
I tried it once so far in my 2021 and have the exact same impression. I need to work on balancing the pedal input next time, but it added unwanted regen and cannot be more efficient than coasting in D
Coasting in a hybrid still involves regeneration (watch the power gauge).

Gliding is essentially coasting in N while still in D. There is zero power flow in and out. Glides can last a looooong time so this is hard to achieve with traffic.

L is not more efficient than gliding but it's way more efficient than going straight from gas pedal to brake pedal (friction braking).

Driving efficiently in L takes practice because one has to unlearn years or decades of muscle memory but the human body is amazing and quickly adapts to one pedal driving. Now when I get in a vehicle that doesn't have it, I feel like something is wrong! :)

In July, my C-Max Energi will be turning 8 years old and is still on the original brake pads.

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Touring L
61 Posts
I have a Chevy Bolt and as a comparison the braking in the PacHy really feels like the pads are being engaged while the regen is occurring unless you apply the absolute lightest of pressure. This combined with the fact the regen force drops off fast as the vehicle decelerates, which doesn't occur in my Bolt BTW there is good regen pull all the way down to 1-2 MPH, makes me feel as though I am losing energy with braking in the PacHy.

As such I far prefer driving in L to allow me more control over the duration of deceleration where I am assured I am regening exclusively. You can coast in L still, but it is far more pedal skill required. Also in city driving, to which I do 99.9% of you rarely have the opportunity to coast, so using L mode IMO allows me for more energy recovery than regen braking alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone shine a light on the use of Low gear on the shifter. Can I use this, along with the regenerative braking, for descending hills, and if so, what is the maximum speed I can switch to Low. Can't find much info in the owners manual. Thanks much

·
Registered
771 Posts
It's not really a "low gear", because it's not a discrete gear transmission. But for braking and going down inclines, it serves the exact same purpose.

L simply gets more aggressive on the regenerative braking, that's all. It's not "in addition to" regenerative braking. It IS regenerative braking, albeit more aggressive so that you don't have to use the brake pedal to engage the regenerative braking.

Some people use it as their regular around-town driving setting. It's not a true one-pedal drive system, but you could use it every day in traffic.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
167 Posts
Can anyone shine a light on the use of Low gear on the shifter. Can I use this, along with the regenerative braking, for descending hills, and if so, what is the maximum speed I can switch to Low. Can't find much info in the owners manual. Thanks much
From the "Hybrid Supplement" to the owner's manual, page 55 (emphasis mine):

LOW (L)

This range should be used when descending very steep grades or when increased regeneration is desired. The vehicle transmission can be operated continuously in LOW without damaging the vehicle or causing issues. Using the LOW position will increase the rate of deceleration (along with increasing regeneration of power into the vehicle’s high voltage battery) when the accelerator pedal is released in comparison to the DRIVE position. To access the LOW position, push down on the gear selector and rotate it fully clockwise. Shifting between DRIVE and LOW can be done at any speed.

Reactions: craig

·
Registered
771 Posts
And it’s also used to start off in non ideal conditions when the Pacifica would spin tires due to electric acceleration .
L? It has no effect on breaking inertia. Why do you say L behaves differently from a dead stop than does D?

With the Si-EVT, all acceleration from a dead stop involves electric motors. Actually, all acceleration period involves electric motors. Sometimes the gasoline engine is directly engaged as well, if you're really flooring it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
From the "Hybrid Supplement" to the owner's manual, page 55 (emphasis mine):
Always keep in mind, the aggressive slowing down from regeneration does NOT turn on the brake lights.

Drive around town in L at your own risk. Sure, if the guy behind you hits you it's his fault. But he still hit you.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Always keep in mind, the aggressive slowing down from regeneration does NOT turn on the brake lights.

Drive around town in L at your own risk. Sure, if the guy behind you hits you it's his fault. But he still hit you.
You can drive around town in L all you want but if somebody hits you it’s because they were up your ass, not because you were driving in any particular gear . Driving in L or D is no different than taking foot off gas and coasting to light / stop sign and then braking .

·
Registered
135 Posts
It took me a little while to get used to the increased braking but now I drive in L full time. Used correctly, it really cuts down on the use of the mechanical brakes.

Reactions: Anadmaudib

·
Registered
771 Posts
You can drive around town in L all you want but if somebody hits you it’s because they were up your ass, not because you were driving in any particular gear
Technically true--but at the same time, you were driving unpredictably. The behavior of the van in L is not what anyone expects of any car.

Driving in L or D is no different than taking foot off gas and coasting to light / stop sign and then braking .
oh my, yes it is. Because "taking your foot of the gas and coasting" is one thing; even the Pacifica is programmed to behave similarly to an ICE vehicle doing that in normal driving.

In L, it's more like you're driving around with an ICE vehicle in second gear--you lift and you get radical slowdown with little to no indication of that to the traffic around you.

You DO owe it to traffic around you to behave predictably. That's why, for example, turn signals are important--with turn signals, people can understand and predict your behavior. Absent turn signals, people have no idea what you're doing until you're in the middle of doing it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Driving in L isn’t disruptive to slowing down for a stop or light at all . If your accelerating to a light and brake at last second that’s your fault , but if your timing traffic flow and patterns slowing down in L has zero effect on anybody . I drive all my srt cars that way and my viper as well . And my carbon ceramic brakes are like the day they rolled off the viper plant . Any vehicle no matter what you drive is incapable or capable of anything . People have to also remember this thing will use the engine either in D or L it’s a hybrid and not a electric vehicle .

21 - 40 of 62 Posts