6 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Limited
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just services the z11 fire hazard recall on my hybrid Chrysler Pacifica 2018. This is my first time driving it on a battery since the recall wouldn’t recommend charging the hv battery due to fire hazard. The recall has been there since February and I just bought the car from the previous owner.
In my first drive I am realizing I am only getting 15 miles range. Is that ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Limited
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could the reason be that the battery went bad because it was not charged for 9 months since the recall in February till the fix was rolled out in November. I am wondering if others are reporting similar issue. My car has 115k miles on it though.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Could the reason be that the battery went bad because it was not charged for 9 months since the recall in February till the fix was rolled out in November. I am wondering if others are reporting similar issue. My car has 115k miles on it though.
Doubt it. Even though the car may say that the battery is at 0% it’s really still got some charge in it, perhaps around 10%. So for that 9 months while the van was not being charged by an external source it was still being charged when the van was running and dropped below a certain level (perhaps around 10%).

·
Registered
2017 PacHY 200,00+ Mile Club
349 Posts
I don't think it went bad but if you haven't been plugging it in to charge it and this is your first charge in that timeframe then that could potentially explain it recalibrating.

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Pinnacle Maximum Steel
182 Posts
It could also be the weather. I'm getting way less battery range with the cold weather since the climate is usually pulling anything from 4 to 8kW constant power this week.

Also like others have mentioned, recalibrating might be affecting it.

Are you getting 15 miles of driving, or does the range reads 15 miles when you turn it on with 100% battery? As those might be completely different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Limited
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It could also be the weather. I'm getting way less battery range with the cold weather since the climate is usually pulling anything from 4 to 8kW constant power this week.

Also like others have mentioned, recalibrating might be affecting it.

Are you getting 15 miles of driving, or does the range reads 15 miles when you turn it on with 100% battery? As those might be completely different.
Range said around 33 but I only got 15 while driving. Range went down pretty quickly which concerns me that battery may not be holding charge as it should. Today’s temperature was about 50 while driving

·
Registered
6 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Limited
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m just wondering if there’s a standard battery health test I could do. I will keep taking notes of my range and let you know if problem still exists.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Range said around 33 but I only got 15 while driving. Range went down pretty quickly which concerns me that battery may not be holding charge as it should. Today’s temperature was about 50 while driving
Still doesn't say the whole picture. Did you have heat turned on and how much power was it drawing? Where did you drive? City/Highway, hills or plain, lot of stop and go or full speed?

I drove this morning 15 miles and got down to 45% battery, back when weather was mild I used to do it with over 60% left (with mild mileing drive involved)

So 15 miles is more than reasonable and plausible if you have some uphill driving, with lot of stop and go and heater running all the time in 50F weather pulling 4-6kW constant power. Where even 5 minutes parked running the heater might chip a couple % off the battery.

Best way to check the battery would be to take it to the dealership and have them check it, but you could also just observe the hybrid section of the UConnect screen, turn off heating and make sure climate is pulling 0kW, from there drive and see what kind of range you get... Please note that if it's cold enough, even with heating turned off, it might still use power to heat up the battery pack to avoid damaging it, and that will also use energy and lower the range.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The worst I've ever had was 26 miles of range in temps around or below freezing while using the heater and driving around a hilly area (I'm in western washington). I've had 3 PACHY's now and that has held true for all 3 of them (2018, 2020 and a 2022).

Since you just had the recall work done I'd give it a few full charge cycles to see if it gets better. But in general, only getting 15 miles of electric range is not normal.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
104 Posts
I’m just wondering if there’s a standard battery health test I could do. I will keep taking notes of my range and let you know if problem still exists.
You can connect AlfaOBD and check battery SOC and SOH. Maybe that will help.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
319 Posts
The worst I've ever had was 26 miles of range in temps around or below freezing while using the heater and driving around a hilly area (I'm in western washington). I've had 3 PACHY's now and that has held true for all 3 of them (2018, 2020 and a 2022).

Since you just had the recall work done I'd give it a few full charge cycles to see if it gets better. But in general, only getting 15 miles of electric range is not normal.
I can easily get 15 miles of range any time the temp is below ~40F. A trip to town and back for us is just about 12 miles with ~1000' elevation gain. Add in another 3 miles of typical errands in town. Total trip time will be about an hour. If I use the cabin heat normally, that's ~5kW continuous draw for the heater which, over an hour of use is >40% of the battery capacity - simply to run the heater.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I can easily get 15 miles of range any time the temp is below ~40F. A trip to town and back for us is just about 12 miles with ~1000' elevation gain. Add in another 3 miles of typical errands in town. Total trip time will be about an hour. If I use the cabin heat normally, that's ~5kW continuous draw for the heater which, over an hour of use is >40% of the battery capacity - simply to run the heater.
I don't doubt your experience, but your battery usage doesn't seem right (as in it seems abnormal). I've got a routine trip that takes me from about 500ft to 1,500ft in 3 miles (total trip distance is about 15 miles that is up and down hills) and I have plenty of battery life left over to make it another 11'ish miles when running the heater in below 40f temps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't doubt your experience, but your battery usage doesn't seem right (as in it seems abnormal). I've got a routine trip that takes me from about 500ft to 1,500ft in 3 miles (total trip distance is about 15 miles that is up and down hills) and I have plenty of battery life left over to make it another 11'ish miles when running the heater in below 40f temps.
I believe the difference is how long it takes, as zhenya mentioned, the drive takes 1hr. If Climate is taking 5kW constant power that's 5kWh of the available 12kWh power from the battery, so little over 41% of battery was used in Climate alone, not considering the usual 1kW being used powering the vehicle and any power to the electric motors to actually move the van.

Hence why original post is missing key information to gauge if 15 miles is reasonable or something wrong.

·
Registered
2022 Hybrid Pinnacle
27 Posts
@Eliyah do you have a convenient way to measure how many kWh are going into the battery when you charge it from 0%-100%? For example are you using a level 2 charger that reports to your phone how many kWh are consumed on each charge?

If so, I would do the following for a few weeks:
  1. Only charge when the van is at 0%
  2. Keep track of how many kWh are consumed on each charge from 0%-100%
  3. Note the odometer when you start driving it at 100% charge.
  4. While driving on battery try not to do anything that will cause the gas engine to kick on such as flooring it or turning the heat up very high. (If you can help it.)
  5. Note the odometer when the battery reaches 0% and the gas engine takes over.

It will be interesting to see if there’s any variation in how many kWh are consumed going from 0-100%, and also how many miles per kWh you’re getting in actual usage.

This will help you determine which of the following explains your problem:

1. It’s not letting you fully charge or fully deplete the battery. (For the pedantic: I know it never lets you “fully” deplete the battery but I’m talking about fully depleting the expected usable battery range.)
  2. For some reason your efficiency has taken a severe hit. If so you should also monitor your fuel efficiency on gas mode to see if you’re getting bad MPG there too.
  3. You’re actually getting more than 15 miles on battery but didn't realize it because you were using the van’s electric range estimation instead of doing the math with the odometer. (I’m not trying to insult your intelligence! 😃 I’m just listing every possibility I can think of that might help you or any future reader of this post.)
  4. Some combination of the above.

To help you out I will start doing this test myself and report back in a few weeks so we can compare numbers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Eliyah do you have a convenient way to measure how many kWh are going into the battery when you charge it from 0%-100%? For example are you using a level 2 charger that reports to your phone how many kWh are consumed on each charge?

If so, I would do the following for a few weeks:
  1. Only charge when the van is at 0%
  2. Keep track of how many kWh are consumed on each charge from 0%-100%
  3. Note the odometer when you start driving it at 100% charge.
  4. While driving on battery try not to do anything that will cause the gas engine to kick on such as flooring it or turning the heat up very high. (If you can help it.)
  5. Note the odometer when the battery reaches 0% and the gas engine takes over.

It will be interesting to see if there’s any variation in how many kWh are consumed going from 0-100%, and also how many miles per kWh you’re getting in actual usage.

This will help you determine which of the following explains your problem:

1. It’s not letting you fully charge or fully deplete the battery. (For the pedantic: I know it never lets you “fully” deplete the battery but I’m talking about fully depleting the expected usable battery range.)
  2. For some reason your efficiency has taken a severe hit. If so you should also monitor your fuel efficiency on gas mode to see if you’re getting bad MPG there too.
  3. You’re actually getting more than 15 miles on battery but didn't realize it because you were using the van’s electric range estimation instead of doing the math with the odometer. (I’m not trying to insult your intelligence! 😃 I’m just listing every possibility I can think of that might help you or any future reader of this post.)
  4. Some combination of the above.

To help you out I will start doing this test myself and report back in a few weeks so we can compare numbers.
Great post. I’ve been getting 30-33 miles on a charge with my low miles 2018 - but only if I hypermile. As mentioned, hills, heater, and highway speeds (75mph) kill the range much faster f I’m not careful I can get as little as 11 miles on a full charge.
The folks that get 30 miles no matter how they drive have got my interest- can you get 45 miles if you hypermile?
Time to get a kill-a-watt so I can play with you guys…

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Hybrid Limited S
4 Posts
Hi all,
I just services the z11 fire hazard recall on my hybrid Chrysler Pacifica 2018. This is my first time driving it on a battery since the recall wouldn’t recommend charging the hv battery due to fire hazard. The recall has been there since February and I just bought the car from the previous owner.
In my first drive I am realizing I am only getting 15 miles range. Is that ok.
I live in Florida so no heater experience. I have worked with lithium batteries on a yacht and in that case the batteries have a BMS (battery management system), via software I was able to observe the BMS activity. When the lithium pack sits uncharged for a long time it becomes out of balance and 1 or more cells are not accepting charge as well as the other cells. The BMS corrects this but it takes a very long time. In my experience the BMS would use resistors on the good cells to reduce there voltage, so the depleted cell can catch up. Leaving it on the charger is important as that is when the batteries will balance. Using the car is not a problem, but I believe the more charging time the better. I’d want Understand the heaters effect and give the BMS a week or two to balance the cells. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts