2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm considering buying a 2020 PacHy right now but am a bit scared off by some of the fire warnings and random shut offs during driving. Is this the norm or are these incidents exceptions?

I'm debating these options. Which would you pick?
1) buy a 2020 PacHy and hope all issues have been resolved by now (4th model year)

2) buy a used hybrid for daily use ($10k) and used gas minivan ($15-20k)

3) buy a new Sienna Hybrid when it arrives next year.

I just need good transport for the family that won't leave us stranded on a trip or explode in our driveway. Is that too much to ask?

Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I want a Pacifica that is FULLY electric. Just take all the space and put in batteries and how we are talking! But just for the 33 mile EV range - doesn't do it for me. No reason to get it over the gas powered one.

Reactions: mark

·
Registered
619 Posts
I want a Pacifica that is FULLY electric. Just take all the space and put in batteries and how we are talking! But just for the 33 mile EV range - doesn't do it for me. No reason to get it over the gas powered one.
Since the pandemic has started we have been driving the PacHy less. As a consequence we haven’t had to put any gas in it since April. We’ve save a LOT on fuel this year!

Remember that 33 miles a day is over 12k miles per year, and that’s if you can only charge it once per day.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi all,
I'm considering buying a 2020 PacHy right now but am a bit scared off by some of the fire warnings and random shut offs during driving. Is this the norm or are these incidents exceptions?

1) buy a 2020 PacHy and hope all issues have been resolved by now (4th model year)

I just need good transport for the family that won't leave us stranded on a trip or explode in our driveway. Is that too much to ask?

Thanks.
I’ve owned the PacHy for just shy of two years now and put 26,000 miles on it. It has been as good or better, so far, than any other vehicle I’ve purchased.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
114 Posts
Even after you run down the initial charge, the Pac still runs in hybrid mode. Think of it as a step above the start/ stop system every one hates. With the hybrid, the engine shuts off when you are coasting, but the power steering & brakes still work, and the air conditioner still runs. Then when you hit the gas pedal, the battery will get you moving, unless it needs more power, then the engine kicks in. Unless you are doing heavy accelerating, you may not even realize the engine is on. The traction motor, is also the engine starter, with over 100 HP, it will not wear out starting the engine.

I recently took a trip to Yellowstone, Did not plug in the car once, on the way back, I drove a bit over 300 miles the last day, over 100 of it was either electric, or charging. The dash is showing 50 MPG after the electric is used up.

With the hybrid, there is no gas only mode. It is either electric, or hybrid. Also the gas engine is the same (slight difference in programing), as in the gas Pacifica, not like several other car makers that use a smaller gas engine in the hybrid version.

I encourage everyone to test drive a pac hybrid, but be careful, it may just sell itself.

I do not miss the constant shifting from the 9 speed.

·
Registered
2020 Touring L 35th Anniversary Edition in Granite Crystal
266 Posts
Option #1. I love my hybrid Pacifica. I had a 2018 gas Pacifica that I really enjoyed, but the fuel savings with my 2020 hybrid make me love it! I've had zero issues with either one, other than having the hybrid inspected-it passed and received the correction/modification/silicone gasket in the same 1.5 hour visit.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks.
I put 2600 miles on two tanks of gas. And that wasn’t even really trying. Some have put five figures on a single tank. Depending on your cost of electricity, that’s up to 50% off the cost of the equivalent distance on gas. And even though in many cases the electricity PacHy drivers are driving on was generated by burning fossil fuels, when you’re driving electric there’s no pollution coming out of your tailpipe, which is a great feeling. If you’ve got solar panels at home or your energy provider is renewable-based, well then, you’re officially doing your part to fight climate change.

Not to mention, with the federal tax credit, equivalent trims are about the same price across gas/PacHy.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...all a bit evangelical. But seriously: I am so in love with this car.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No reason to get it over the gas powered one.
My reasons for getting it over the gas powered one:
1. Price: I will pay $30k OTD for a Limited Pacifica Hybrid with AST. The gas version would be at least $40k OTD.
2. Cost running on electricity is cheaper for me. I pay 7.6 cents per kWh. It takes about 13 kWh to charge the battery and that gives me 30 miles of range. So it costs $0.99 to go 30 miles on electricity vs. $1.90 for gas.
3. The Hybrid drives quieter and smoother.
4. I go to the gas station way less. You can look at my Fuelly to see I average about 3 months per tank.

·
Registered
619 Posts
With the hybrid, there is no gas only mode. It is either electric, or hybrid. Also the gas engine is the same (slight difference in programing), as in the gas Pacifica, not like several other car makers that use a smaller gas engine in the hybrid version.
Are you sure about the engine? I was under the impression that the PacHy has an Atkinson cycle engine while the gas Pacifica is an Otto cycle engine.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
114 Posts
Are you sure about the engine? I was under the impression that the PacHy has an Atkinson cycle engine while the gas Pacifica is an Otto cycle engine.
Is that not just a programing change? Either way, it is mostly the same emgine, not like some other manufacturers that put a 4 cyl in the hybrid, and a 6 in the gas version.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Is that not just a programing change? Either way, it is mostly the same emgine, not like some other manufacturers that put a 4 cyl in the hybrid, and a 6 in the gas version.
I think it’s more than a programming change. Google it up and you’ll see the difference.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
114 Posts
Ok, here you go, may or may not have different cams (I did not find anything stating if the changes were due to a different program for the variable valve timing or not), and different pistons. So what are we at, 10 parts may be different. Nothing that makes my post wrong.

The new hybrid engine is a Pentastar V6 converted to the Atkinson cycle, increasing efficiency; an Atkinson engine normally has higher compression (in this case, 12.5:1) and hold the intake valve open longer, so that all the power from combustion is used. The down-side is there’s nothing left to keep the engine moving, hurting low-speed power. Having electric motors “help” eliminates that problem, which is one reason Toyota has long used Atkinson engines with its hybrids. Higher compression was delivered by unique “handed” pistons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also read all (or most) of the negative posts here and articles elsewhere. In addition, I haven't owned an american car since my Dodge Neon about 25 years ago. The end cost, space and having a PHEV for a minivan was too good to past up.

As a new owner, couple weeks old, I've already had 6 passengers a couple times and been to HomeDepot/Lowes with one seat out over a dozen times. 12' boards with the door closed. My gas is still not even 1/4 used, and my dealership gave me the van with 0 battery. I live about 50 mi from the dealership.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had my Pacifica Hybrid for almost three years. I have had only minor issues, none related to the hybrid feature. Before the Pandemic about 80% of my miles were electric, a lot would depend on if you have a long commute, I don't. I did put solar panels on my house with sufficient generation capacity to cover the cars needs - I strongly recommend this. On a long vacation trip from Massachusetts to Florida (2,500 miles) without charging I got 29 miles per gallon.

Currently due to the pandemic I am driving very little and have not put gas in the van since February so now Iv'e stopped plugging in order to use the old gas up.

I love the way it drives and definitely would not consider a gas version.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yes. We would buy it again. 3.5 years in it's a great vehicle.

When it's replaced at 10 years old, we are going full electric. If there is a full electric van, we'll buy that. Otherwise it will be an SUV it it has to be.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
22 Posts
I've put just over 5k miles on my 2020 Pachy since the end of Feb. when I bought it. I drove an ICE model before buying to compare but had already decided on a Pachy mainly for the tax incentives and gas mileage. Averaging 32 mpg so far using the included level 1 charger. No major issues so far, took it in for the battery post recall and had a ICE model loaner for 4 days while they did the recall (no reason given for the time). Liked the loaner, love the Pachy.
This thing gets great gas mileage even without plugging it in, has tons of safety and utility features. It is quieter and smoother driving than the ICE model.
What I don't like is the no spare tire feature (Hate this !), and the console has very little storage for the front seats.

The Sienna hybrid may be a good choice (love Toyota build quality), but no Incentives and probably a higher price. Buying used you will need a good price because, again, no Incentives and less warranty.
I love my Pachy, it hasn't broken my heart yet, I would buy it again for the same reasons.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
104 Posts
Hi all,
The recalls are real, but the incidents are definitely exceptions. I think there are somewhere near 30,000 Pacifica Hybrids on the road, so reports on this forum are not representative of a majority of owners or PacHy's, either positive or negative.

That said, if buying one really makes you nervous, don't do it. It's just a car, and there are similar options out there. I almost bought a loaded 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, since it ticked most of the same boxes (except no federal tax credit). My purchase decision was swung by the plug-in hybrid tax credit, back-seat/cargo capacity, and looks of the Pacifica. Also, Toyota gives no incentives on newly introduced models (the 35mpg Highlander was new for 2020).

No, and if you think that the PacHy will leave you stranded or explode (and aren't just trolling), don't buy one. Anyone expecting to find faults will usually be rewarded with something minor that can justify their fear. Sometimes you even get a bad car all around, and it can be a nightmare (I had a Subaru once that was skirting the edge of the lemon law for a long while). Don't start any purchase by feeling it's risky or isn't what you want/need/afford - that's a one-way road to disappointment.

My 2020 PacHy has been great, but the Yokohama tires it came with are a bit of a fiasco. I'll replace them soon enough, and lesson learned to get the "wheel and tire group" upgrade next time. I even like the UConnect system (leagues ahead of Toyota's infotainment), which frustrates some folks! I'll never buy a non-hybrid car again, and would love an all-electric minivan or affordable SUV, but that's me. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts