2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. We recently had to say farewell to our 2017 Pacifica Hybrid. After owning for 15 months, it fell victim to a front end collision (my fault) at about 15 ish mph.
No air bags. Very little damage to the van I rear ended. Cosmetic damage was negligible also. BUT.... the hybrid coolant system radiator was punctured.

No big deal right? I look at the repair estimate, and that was only $150 bucks. All total the repair estimate was only a little over 2 grand.... EXCEPT the dealer told us that after the coolant system had no coolant the battery overheated and needed to be replaced also. $13,500 bucks for that alone. And boom, the van was totaled.

We just bought another 2017 Hybrid this week. And now I am on the hunt for front bumper guard options. So far I have only come across two bull bars that claim to fit the Pacifica.

This guy from CarID

And this guy from walmart

I was wondering if anyone else has put a brush guard or bull bar on their Pacifica and what they went with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 2017 HONDA PILOT. They got some scuffs on their bumper and drove away after the accident report was taken.

I don't think my Van had the emergency automatic breaking.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well I wouldn’t be putting on a grille guard . You might want to get a suv or pick up . The van would look ridiculous with that in front .

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else has put a brush guard or bull bar on their Pacifica and what they went with?
You mean a "pedestrian killer"? No I have not and I think those should be illegal on road going vehicles.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It's hard to believe that a minor front bump would total the vehicle. That would put the insurance companies on notice to hike the rates way up on Pachys. Did your insurance adjuster agree to this? Something is not right about this.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's hard to believe that a minor front bump would total the vehicle. That would put the insurance companies on notice to hike the rates way up on Pachys. Did your insurance adjuster agree to this? Something is not right about this.
Yeah, I'm also a bit puzzled. Was the car drivable and you drove it away without knowing the battery had no coolant and that damaged the battery? Or did the battery just get damaged from the coolant draining out without it being powered up? If they claim the latter, that sounds very fishy.

I thought the car would shut down if the battery coolant loop wasn't purged correctly, judging from what people have posted. So it seems weird it would not complain about having no coolant and self destruct...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They dealership had the van for 3 weeks trying to diagnose it. The ended up saying the would need to replace the hybrid battery. That is all I know.

As for a grill guard looking ridiculous, I agree. But I don't really mind if it looks silly, I don't want another van totaled if some one taps my bumper. This cost me way more than I'd have liked for such a minor incident. Maybe it was just a freak, one in a million thing, but I'd rather not take chances. (My new van does have the auto emergency break feature now btw)

As to the other questions, after the accident I pulled over. When the police officer arrived he wanted us to move our vehicles to the other shoulder, which we both did. That was the last time my van moved under its own power. By the time the tow truck arrived, it would not move, nor could we turn it off. It was odd.

I thought worst case it was not moving because it detected no coolant and didn't want to fry itself. I'd like to think if that was the case the dealership would have figured that out. As I said, the rest of the damage was only about 2 grand total. That included the new radiator and all the cosmetic panels and such that were damaged. Honestly if you looked at the van you wouldn't even immediately know something was wrong with it. I called for the tow truck because I saw the fluid leaking. I didn't even know it wouldn't move under its own power anymore until the tow truck got there.

·
Registered
548 Posts
In the auto body repair world we call those fender wrecker. They do nothing for your vehcle but cause more damage in lower speed impacts, and are a danger to pedestrians. I see what you're trying to do, it just won't do what you want. Sorry :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bull Bars/Nudge Bars. Their original intent was to be mounted on pickup trucks to push large livestock around. They were never intended as crash protection. From what I could see in the picture you would be sacrificing ground clearance for this thing too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts