2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using cruise control in stop and go traffic and using adaptive cruise control when the car is stopping and starting it makes a grinding noise as if the bumper is grinding the curb. Is this normal? The car starts and stops as expected but the noise happens when acc is engaged. Does anyone have any input.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine does the same thing when braking at low speeds using acc. The sound seems to be coming from the master cylinder/booster so I'm guessing it's the abs system doing its thing although I don't know why it would be engaging as the tires aren't locking up. It's certainly the same sound I hear in my other cars when abs system kicks in.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I haven’t experienced this. No noises while braking using ACC in stop-and-go traffic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's not that loud. If you're having a conversation or not paying attention you probably wouldn't notice it. I'm a bit of car guy and mechanical engineer so I can't help myself to listen to every cotton picking little noise and figure it out. I think this is by design and won't bring it up to a dealer unless I find a tsb issued for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When using cruise control in stop and go traffic and using adaptive cruise control when the car is stopping and starting it makes a grinding noise as if the bumper is grinding the curb. Is this normal? The car starts and stops as expected but the noise happens when acc is engaged. Does anyone have any input.
It seems to be normal.
Had the same concern and others here confirmed to notice the same grinding noise caused by the ABS - even with their Jeeps. True or not, I notice it too and again, so do many others.

·
Registered
145 Posts
we have this grinding noise also while in traffic and coming to stops....its loud an annoying, it sounds like maybe the pads are constantly gripping the disc or soemthing......everyone is saying its normal but ive never had this with any other brand car with acc. ... what theheck is chrysler doing in this case?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, this seem to be a normal sound when using adaptive cruise control. I though the same thing the other night. Its the computer keeping the brake pad close to the caliper in case of a quick brakes.

I thought something was stuck inside the pads. Its a bit annoying, I hear it on the driver side, the passenger side no noise.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Touring L Type S, Safety Tec Group, U-Connect 4 Nav, 20" Black Noise Wheels
1 Posts
I just got a new 2020 and have the same grinding noise (similar to ABS being engaged?). I am assuming this is normal since FCA had some time to work on this and no one has written about it since 2017? Living in mountainous area it happens frequently coming over rises and going downhill when it adjusts to deaccelerate...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Glad to read this, because I noticed this on mine the other day (just bought it) and it definitely sounds like there's something wrong. If it's normal then I can live with it, but it will annoy me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine has done that this since I drove it off the lot with under 20 miles on the clock. So, I would assume it is normal. To me it is an assurance that the brakes are operating while on ACC. When I don't hear it I wonder if the van is going to rear end the guy in front...

G.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts