2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On June 4th I was on my way to work, my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica started shaking when accelerating, then an engine light started blinking. I exited off and was a mile away from dealership. Dropped my car off with them told them what happened. One day later I was called by the service department and was told that the engine was completely gone. I have 138,000. miles on it and have kept it serviced. I was told it had an internal error and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. I paid $11,185.73 to get this completed. I tried getting Chrysler to trade it in and they stated they would part it out and it would be worthless so they could not even offer me a trade in. I was forced to either pay that amount or have a non running van that I still have payments on. The warranty was no longer valid because I had 138,000 miles on it. I guess this is just a warning to all as your engines start aging, start putting aside a nest egg to cover this expense.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
There were many, many other options here. You could have used a used engine, you could have taken it to an outside shop who may have been willing to tear it down and rebuild it depending on what happened. $11,100 to replace an engine in one of these is an insane cost.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Reactions: x95stacey

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I'm with Steve on this one. I think someone took advantage of you. My 2017 Touring L plus with 180,000 miles on it also started to shake recently. The likely difference in our outcomes is that I married an automotive engineer with a mechanic for a brother. The scanner kept showing cylinder 2 misfire. We replaced spark plugs and coils, and it got worse. Felt like I would shake out of the track at a carwash. Turned out to be a bad variable vale lifter, but it took some time to diagnose. (Brother in law has access to all of the Mopar mechanics info and forums through his day job.) In the meantime we also started searching for used engines. We found one from a totaled 2017 with 50k miles and talked the guy down to about $2k for the engine, transmission, shocks, struts, brakes and anything we wanted off of the exterior. (I may have swiped the spare tire from the interior, but that's another story.) Labor from the hubby and brother in law is free, with the exception of beer, food, and some future reciprocation of manual labor by my husband down the road. $11k even at a dealer seems high. I get that you were likely stuck, but in the future a second opinion may be worth while. The cost of the tow to another shop would have paid for itself multiple times over even if a new engine was in the cards. I would go back and ask for a detailed (itemized) writeup of the error codes, work they performed, and parts replaced. While you may not get money back, it may make them think twice next time. Also, in the ensuing alignment after the new front and back ends were replaced, we found a broken center engine mount and the exhaust mounts blown out as well, likely adding to the shaking. Not sure if any of these findings are shocking given the amount of miles, but it does show how much reputable mechanics make a difference. Even if they don't refund any money, find someone you trust with knowledge of vehicle maintenance and make the shop that sold you this story squirm.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L
101 Posts
Wow! Sorry that happened to you, and it was without any warning too. Glad that I purchased a lifetime Mopar Warranty on my 2017 Touring L, with no milage limit. Although if the repair costs exceed the van's resale value, I might have a problem! Wonder who determines it's value at that time. I now have 88,000 miles on my Pacifica, and the extended warranty has paid for itself. Bought it at Ziegler for $2450.00 back in July 2016. Maybe a used engine with labor would be under $5,000.00.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So aside from the story , what was the diagnosis that lead to the untimely demise of the motor , what was the root cause ?
So aside from the story , what was the diagnosis that lead to the untimely demise of the motor , what was the root cause ?
It read a Cylinder 1 misfire. They stated a injector failed to close and Caused internal damage to the drive train, making it impossible to rebuild according to them. They could give me no reason as to why there was no error code or indicator light prior to the shaking that day. I even asked what could have been done to prevent it and was told nothing could have, it was unexpected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Sorry that happened to you, and it was without any warning too. Glad that I purchased a lifetime Mopar Warranty on my 2017 Touring L, with no milage limit. Although if the repair costs exceed the van's resale value, I might have a problem! Wonder who determines it's value at that time. I now have 88,000 miles on my Pacifica, and the extended warranty has paid for itself. Bought it at Ziegler for $2450.00 back in July 2016. Maybe a used engine with labor would be under $5,000.00. View attachment 47027
I understand, I honestly stopped there thinking it would just be something like a spark plug but after they told what was wrong, they immediately put it on my car fax report decreasing value in my car, I honestly felt trapped at that point

·
Registered
517 Posts
On June 4th I was on my way to work, my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica started shaking when accelerating, then an engine light started blinking. I exited off and was a mile away from dealership. Dropped my car off with them told them what happened. One day later I was called by the service department and was told that the engine was completely gone. I have 138,000. miles on it and have kept it serviced. I was told it had an internal error and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. I paid $11,185.73 to get this completed. I tried getting Chrysler to trade it in and they stated they would part it out and it would be worthless so they could not even offer me a trade in. I was forced to either pay that amount or have a non running van that I still have payments on. The warranty was no longer valid because I had 138,000 miles on it. I guess this is just a warning to all as your engines start aging, start putting aside a nest egg to cover this expense.
You got ripped off. A used engine install would have cost 1/3 of that.

Reactions: Enrico Henry

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think the moral of the story is that Chrysler has a problem with dealers.

I fortunately (knock on wood) have had a nearly flawless experience with both of my PacHys save for the known issues and recalls and I would say that they are probably as reliable as most other cars coming out these days (even Hondas and Toyotas are having issues these days according to the other forums). The dealers, however, are generally pretty terrible at service and tend to be very unscrupulous/borderline con artists when it comes to sales and and service write ups and at best don't know how to diagnose issues reasonably. Of course not all are like this, but Stellantis/Chrysler obviously doesn't monitor their dealers for quality. I usually go to a dealer which is about an hour and a half a way from me because it's the only one I've found that doesn't "forget" appointments or let things mysteriously drop off service orders or return the car to me without actually doing anything.

It wouldn't take much to improve the entire situation and thus sell more vehicles to happy customers but apparently dealers aren't incentivized to operate this way and this short-sightedness seems to go all the way up and down the chain. I guess pushing inventory anyway you can is good enough and service doesn't make enough money in the current business model.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Would be interesting to see if any scheduled maintance of the injectors for service would have negated this problem . If I remember correctly there is supposed to be a fuel injector service at a certain mileage .

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
46 Posts
I think the moral of the story is that Chrysler has a problem with dealers.

I fortunately (knock on wood) have had a nearly flawless experience with both of my PacHys save for the known issues and recalls and I would say that they are probably as reliable as most other cars coming out these days (even Hondas and Toyotas are having issues these days according to the other forums). The dealers, however, are generally pretty terrible at service and tend to be very unscrupulous/borderline con artists when it comes to sales and and service write ups and at best don't know how to diagnose issues reasonably. Of course not all are like this, but Stellantis/Chrysler obviously doesn't monitor their dealers for quality. I usually go to a dealer which is about an hour and a half a way from me because it's the only one I've found that doesn't "forget" appointments or let things mysteriously drop off service orders or return the car to me without actually doing anything.

It wouldn't take much to improve the entire situation and thus sell more vehicles to happy customers but apparently dealers aren't incentivized to operate this way and this short-sightedness seems to go all the way up and down the chain. I guess pushing inventory anyway you can is good enough and service doesn't make enough money in the current business model.
Definitely second the terrible dealer experience...

Reactions: Stormy

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Most modern fuels have enough additives and cleaners in them that should negate the need for any type of injector service.
Actually quite the opposite . There’s probably a handful of gas stations that don’t use injector clogging gas . Additives , junk and other clogging issues are caused by subpar gas , tank debris, etc . Servicing won’t cure everything but it will put more miles on your and give you peace of mind .

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
556 Posts
I'm no mechanic but I fail to see how a fuel injector can damage an engine beyond repair. If something happened to the timing that's a different story. The 3.6L Pentastar is a interference engine.
Meaning a vale that remains open can hit the top of the piston. That would be a very bad day for the engine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If a fuel injector sticks open it fluids the cylinder with gasoline. When the piston comes up on the compression stroke it can't compress the gasoline like the fuel/air mixture so something has to give. It can result in a cracked piston, broke connecting rod, damaged cylinder wall, damaged crankshaft, etc. Since it was driven to the dealership it probably wasn't a broke rod. I would ask the dealership exactly what was damaged and why it couldn't be repaired. I don't think they should have recommended a new engine for a van with 138k miles. A used engine installed by a independent mechanic would have probably been the best choice. A stuck injector can happen anytime like it did on my son's 2019 Hemi Ram at 14k miles. A rod came through the side of the block.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
556 Posts
If a fuel injector sticks open it fluids the cylinder with gasoline. When the piston comes up on the compression stroke it can't compress the gasoline like the fuel/air mixture so something has to give. It can result in a cracked piston, broke connecting rod, damaged cylinder wall, damaged crankshaft, etc. Since it was driven to the dealership it probably wasn't a broke rod. I would ask the dealership exactly what was damaged and why it couldn't be repaired. I don't think they should have recommended a new engine for a van with 138k miles. A used engine installed by a independent mechanic would have probably been the best choice. A stuck injector can happen anytime like it did on my son's 2019 Hemi Ram at 14k miles. A rod came through the side of the block.
Thank you for the insight. I never would have thought of that possibility but, it makes sense.
My limited knowledge of mechanics is what my grandfather taught me back in the 70's and 80's.
We used to fix everything together. I learned a lot from him but with todays cars there is soo much more to learn.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
This is not just an issue with Chrysler dealers. Dealers have a replace first mentality, and a dealer is never going to tear down an engine and rebuild it or replace it with a used engine. When cars get older (not that a 2017 Pacifica is old, but its 100k+ miles so its in the back half of its life) you need to stop using dealers and find a good independent shop. An independent shop would have dealt with a serious repair like this completely differently than the dealership.

"Replace first" is fine when the manufacturer is paying, but when you're paying it will bankrupt you.

Reactions: SlamBam
1 - 20 of 28 Posts