2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Would be interesting to see if any scheduled maintance of the injectors for service would have negated this problem . If I remember correctly there is supposed to be a fuel injector service at a certain mileage .
I asked that exact question and was told "no but the service department, that it was an internal error and they had not seen one like this before."

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm no mechanic but I fail to see how a fuel injector can damage an engine beyond repair. If something happened to the timing that's a different story. The 3.6L Pentastar is a interference engine.
Meaning a vale that remains open can hit the top of the piston. That would be a very bad day for the engine.
One part was already covered. On the opposite side fuel is also a coolant. Burning too lean (plugged injector) can overheat and torch your exhaust valves.

·
Banned
291 Posts
On June 4th I was on my way to work, my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica started shaking when accelerating, then an engine light started blinking. I exited off and was a mile away from dealership. Dropped my car off with them told them what happened. One day later I was called by the service department and was told that the engine was completely gone. I have 138,000. miles on it and have kept it serviced. I was told it had an internal error and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. I paid $11,185.73 to get this completed. I tried getting Chrysler to trade it in and they stated they would part it out and it would be worthless so they could not even offer me a trade in. I was forced to either pay that amount or have a non running van that I still have payments on. The warranty was no longer valid because I had 138,000 miles on it. I guess this is just a warning to all as your engines start aging, start putting aside a nest egg to cover this expense.
VERY sorry to hear about that $$ experience, truthfully as I read this I literally started to get nauseous and a little sick.:sick:. For starters 138k miles on a '17 is extremely high and cant help but wonder if it was driven hard and put away wet most days, heavy wear and tear.. Everyone's driving styles are different, was oil changed every 3-5k miles was it nicely driven or with a constant lead foot etc.. These new 3.6 Pentastar 3rd generation engines starting in 2017 are extremely refined with all the bugs worked out especially with the top end valves and lifters and last forever with millions of miles proven on test engines, total work horses and beautiful engines all around so I think your situation is extremely rare. The fact that you paid $11k was very wrong and you got taken advantage of sadly. The dealesrhip is the last place you should have swapped out an engine and typically 2 to 3 times higher than any other local shop. Ebay has used engines they can crate deliver and ship also from around $1500-$2000 and most local auto shops can install for around $1000....
On a more important note 80% of all around related problems I seem to see, major to minor are from the '17 Pacificas from the first production year. I cant explain why but people should steer clear from all 17's if at all possible. Good luck to you and remember no one lost a leg or an arm and whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser..👍... On a final note I don't trust dealerships as far as I can throw them. I wouldnt put it past them to have charged you for a new engine never to have even put it in and simply just fixed your real smaller issue to make money... Probably not but you never know

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I'm with Steve on this one. I think someone took advantage of you. My 2017 Touring L plus with 180,000 miles on it also started to shake recently. The likely difference in our outcomes is that I married an automotive engineer with a mechanic for a brother. The scanner kept showing cylinder 2 misfire. We replaced spark plugs and coils, and it got worse. Felt like I would shake out of the track at a carwash. Turned out to be a bad variable vale lifter, but it took some time to diagnose. (Brother in law has access to all of the Mopar mechanics info and forums through his day job.) In the meantime we also started searching for used engines. We found one from a totaled 2017 with 50k miles and talked the guy down to about $2k for the engine, transmission, shocks, struts, brakes and anything we wanted off of the exterior. (I may have swiped the spare tire from the interior, but that's another story.) Labor from the hubby and brother in law is free, with the exception of beer, food, and some future reciprocation of manual labor by my husband down the road. $11k even at a dealer seems high. I get that you were likely stuck, but in the future a second opinion may be worth while. The cost of the tow to another shop would have paid for itself multiple times over even if a new engine was in the cards. I would go back and ask for a detailed (itemized) writeup of the error codes, work they performed, and parts replaced. While you may not get money back, it may make them think twice next time. Also, in the ensuing alignment after the new front and back ends were replaced, we found a broken center engine mount and the exhaust mounts blown out as well, likely adding to the shaking. Not sure if any of these findings are shocking given the amount of miles, but it does show how much reputable mechanics make a difference. Even if they don't refund any money, find someone you trust with knowledge of vehicle maintenance and make the shop that sold you this story squirm.
You are so fortunate! I have a 2017 Pacifica with 90k CE light came on, misfires in 1 and 3 now told to get a new engine. This is absolutely absured. I'm a single mom and the dealership quoted me 10k for a new motor. Any other suggestions would be appreciated (other than finding a local shop that can do it?). Thanks

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
You are so fortunate! I have a 2017 Pacifica with 90k CE light came on, misfires in 1 and 3 now told to get a new engine. This is absolutely absured. I'm a single mom and the dealership quoted me 10k for a new motor. Any other suggestions would be appreciated (other than finding a local shop that can do it?). Thanks
Why is finding a local shop that can do it not a suggestion that you want to hear? Its in fact the only suggestion.

The dealership will always replace the engine. If you don't want to replace the engine you need to take the car to someone else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to read of your experience.

I once had an aftermarket rebuilt engine installed at a dealer with complete accessory, belt and hose replacement. I was in for under $5k. Hard to believe you didnt' get DAP'd. I suspect many a dealer gets away with what feels like customer abuse, and as humanity seems to keep losing mechanical skills (opinion) I think this kind of thing is increasing.

FYI:

I try to run Costco fuel when possible. Cheap and TopTier both. None of which is to say that injector wasn't going to fail no matter what.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts