2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2022 PHEV Limited Red w S Package
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've turned off my hands free tail gate.

I backed into a space with a charger recently. The charger was to the rear right panel of the car so I grabbed the charger and pulled it around the back of the car and towards the plug on the front left panel of the car. When I pulled the cable to plug in the section under the rear of the car moved triggering the hands free tail gate. Much to my surprise, cause it takes me multiple tries to open it, the rear lift gate opened and banged against the wall before I could get back there to push it back down.

Lesson learnt, I've now turned off my rear hands free. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts

I backed into a space with a charger recently. The charger was to the rear right panel of the car so I grabbed the charger and pulled it around the back of the car and towards the plug on the front left panel of the car. When I pulled the cable to plug in the section under the rear of the car moved triggering the hands free tail gate. Much to my surprise, cause it takes me multiple tries to open it, the rear lift gate opened and banged against the wall before I could get back there to push it back down.

your lucky mine hardly ever works tell me your secret

·
Registered
87 Posts
your lucky mine hardly ever works tell me your secret
Exactly. I look like an idiot trying every way imaginable to get mine to open. Usually end up just dropping what's in my hands and opening it another way. I've lost my balance trying to get it to open a couple of times and fell over. My coordination and balance are not good apparently.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If your kick isn’t doing the trick try the foot swipe , locate yourself behind one of the parktronic rear sensors and skip your foot under the fascia side to side

Done that multiple times. It's hit or miss. I've literally gone around the vehicle finding where to put my foot and it appears to vary day to day. Doesn't matter if it's a side to side, forward and back, literally kicking the underside of the vehicle. It's just random in when it'll sense anything.

Yet somehow some tall grass triggered it one day...

·
Registered
618 Posts
I use the hands free on every grocery trip and find it working very close to 100% of the time. I have the factory trailer package so perhaps that enhances the dependability. I almost never use hands-free on the side doors.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use the hands free on every grocery trip and find it working very close to 100% of the time. I have the factory trailer package so perhaps that enhances the dependability. I almost never use hands-free on the side doors.
I've got the factory towing package as well and it seems hit or miss still. Sometimes it's a tap, other times it's a swipe, other times no matter what I do it won't open. That's attempting activation to the right or left of the hitch receiver. The sliding doors are even worse. They seem to only work when you don't need them to, but never when you do. For something that's a convenience feature so you aren't holding onto a bunch of items and can open it hands free it seems to be more of a frustration than a help.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
841 Posts
Factory tow package adds an extra sensor one to each side of the hitch. So you have 2 sensors instead of just one.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Double sensors.... hmm. I looked up all the models that receive the tow hitch. Standard on Pinnacle. Un-available on everything else. So about $600 in parts and a fair amount of labour we are able to tow those upgraded vans out of snowbanks and ditches by a secure connection to the frame. We ordered the parts for three vans. Plus we need block heaters for some. That add-on will start to show up on bills of sale around here. Undercoat, flaps (maybe), engine block heater and hitch by request.
I will see what is ordered and what they do with the sensor placement in the future. There is currently an estimated 70 day delay for some of the parts.
I was messing with the feature over the weekend. It was hard to duplicate even though you seem to do the exact procedure. Dirty undercarriage could have been my issue. Some gravel travel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I installed a trailer hitch on mine today using the stock towing package. I couldn't get the lift gate to activate to get a bucket of pool filters I had in my hands just a little a while before I installed the hitch. WHILE I was installing the hitch, I put my head down by the hitch and suddenly I get conked in the head with the lift gate. I can apparently activate it with my head, but not my foot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Exactly. I look like an idiot trying every way imaginable to get mine to open. Usually end up just dropping what's in my hands and opening it another way. I've lost my balance trying to get it to open a couple of times and fell over. My coordination and balance are not good apparently.
Similar experience....inaccurate kicks...by the time you get it you could have easily reached out and pressed a button. Still I love the van

·
Registered
55 Posts
The hands free works flawlessly on my side doors. I use the door handles as a marker. Two kicks under the van below the door handles always works. I have the tow package with a wide bump step installed in the receiver. The bump step makes it especially challenging to trigger the hands free on the tailgate. However, when I wash the van I manage to trigger the hands free on the tailgate while drying it off. The first time it happened it startled the heck out of me!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The hands free works flawlessly on my side doors. I use the door handles as a marker. Two kicks under the van below the door handles always works. I have the tow package with a wide bump step installed in the receiver. The bump step makes it especially challenging to trigger the hands free on the tailgate. However, when I wash the van I manage to trigger the hands free on the tailgate while drying it off. The first time it happened it startled the heck out of me!
I swear mine under the side door handles move. I just find the right spot to trigger them for the day, and the next day it's a completely different area.

Sounds about right washing it would set it off, but not a foot. 😅

·
Registered
27 Posts

This has happened to me multiple times with the charger cable triggering the tailgate sensor. Seems like a poor design, but I'm extra careful now. It's no fun when the tailgate decides to open into the concrete wall of a parking deck when all you want to do is charge the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts