2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a trip of over 2000 miles. Several time during the trip and one after returning I have gotten audible alarm and a message on the dash to put my hands on the wheel. The message disappears after a few seconds. It may not happen again for hours or days. When the message alarm or message occurs, I have had both hands on the wheel. I have not talked with the dealer about this since it does not occur very often.

How is the alarm triggered?

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's from the LaneSense system. If you have the LaneSense lane keeping system active, it will turn the steering wheel slightly if you start to drift out of your lane, to warn you and to help guide you back into the lane.

If the system doesn't detect any torque on the wheel applied by the driver, it will give you the hands on the wheel warning. If you're driving straight for a period of time without turning the wheel, you may get a false warning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yup, Breezy is correct. I had it go off a few times and was quite confused. If you let LaneSense bump up against a line several times in a row without touching the wheel you can get it to go off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes I do have lane departure options turned on.

My guess is that it was triggered by long straight stretches on the Interstate.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
...Yes I do have lane departure options turned on.
My guess is that it was triggered by long straight stretches on the Interstate.
Straight stretches and you also appear to have the stable arms / hands of a surgeon! I've read (but can't find or prove at the moment) that pianists, sharpshooters, surgeons, archers, etc., who regularly practice keeping BOTH arms under control are more likely to see that message. My Pacifica gave me the warning once or twice when I first bought it as I was "checking out" lane departure but I had almost forgotten about the message until you posted.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My van also catches me when I don't have my hands on the wheel, alerts me like after 5 seconds. I never had it happen to me tho while I had a hand on the wheel.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had the Pacifica today to get the oil changed and this message came up 3 times. In the year and 15k miles we've had it neither my wife or I have seen this message before...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Its a testament on how straight the Pac drives. The Honda Odyssey for comparison alway seems to not track straight, following the crown of the road, at least in my experience. Hated that you always had to correct it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My suggestion is to not drive with your Mother-in-law in the seat behind you....>:)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I had the Pacifica today to get the oil changed and this message came up 3 times. In the year and 15k miles we've had it neither my wife or I have seen this message before...

Don’t know. I get these messages frequently on long drives. The alert usually triggers a question from my wife “are you sleepy “...? I tend to ignore both the chime and the question.. :D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
If the system doesn't detect any torque on the wheel applied by the driver, it will give you the hands on the wheel warning. If you're driving straight for a period of time without turning the wheel, you may get a false warning.
^^^ This is the answer.

The system has simply sensed that you reached driving zenith, a state of ultimate synergy between man and machine. Where two become one and ultimate directional smoothness bestows all occupants.

Something so rarely accomplished that it figures it's happened under less than ideal circumstances (where you do have your hands off the wheel, or fell asleep, etc) that it throws an alarm for safety's sake.

Whenever I get the alert I take it as the vehicle complimenting me on my supreme lane-keeping abilities. I think the feature is common to vehicles with lane keep assist. I get it in my Mazda from time to time as well.

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you get close to the lines few times in a short period of time the System will think that you are either sleeping or without the hands in the wheel and will give you that message. That's my experience.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
2019 seems to be a lot worse with these messages. It does it constantly on the straight roads, and small movements of the steering wheel won't satisfy the system. It needs a solid jerk, which is borderline unsafe at speed. At the same time the van may gently bounce inside the lane for quite a long time with the hands completely off the wheel and not complain about anything.

·
Registered
95 Posts
On our Limited I seemed to notice I get the message if I don't touch the metal ring which is around the steering wheel. I had assumed it could sense you were touching the metal ring?

·
Registered
194 Posts
On our Limited I seemed to notice I get the message if I don't touch the metal ring which is around the steering wheel. I had assumed it could sense you were touching the metal ring?
It can't, the metal ring is just decorative. Supposedly it detects the torque you exert on the wheel when you hold it. I'm surprised at stop-eject's troubles, I almost never get this warning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts