2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am totally dissapointed in it. I had the upgraded Alpine systems in my 2013 Ram and 2015 Wrangler and was very happy with them. Clean sound and plenty of impact at higher volume levels. Had no need to do any upgrades to either. Got the HK system in my Pacifica and IMO its a complete dog. Sounds clean at lower listening levels but completely falls apart at higher volumes, no subwoofer, no impact at all on higher volumes. I would of expected better quality sound on a base system to be honest.

Going to be ripping this garbage out and replacing it with some proper equipment in short order!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Am totally dissapointed in it. I had the upgraded Alpine systems in my 2013 Ram and 2015 Wrangler and was very happy with them. Clean sound and plenty of impact at higher volume levels. Had no need to do any upgrades to either. Got the HK system in my Pacifica and IMO its a complete dog. Sounds clean at lower listening levels but completely falls apart at higher volumes, no subwoofer, no impact at all on higher volumes. I would of expected better quality sound on a base system to be honest.

Going to be ripping this garbage out and replacing it with some proper equipment in short order!
I guess I would have to say that I couldn't disagree more. Don't know if something is not right about yours, but I have had quite a number of quality sound systems and the HK system in my 2017 system sounds fantastic. The Bass is excellent without a Sub. I'm assuming you have gone through the settings and tried various adjustments and still don't care for it, or perhaps you just like the volume a great deal louder than we do. I guess sound quality is a little like art in that excellence is in the ear of the beholder.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
I guess I would half to say that I couldn't disagree more. Don't know if something is not right about yours, but I have had quite a number of quality sound systems and the HK system in my 2017 system sounds fantastic. The Base is excellent without a Sub. I'm assuming you have gone through the settings and tried various adjustments and still don't care for it, or perhaps you just like the volume a great deal louder than we do. I guess sound quality is a little like art in that excellence is in the ear of the beholder.
I'm with you too. Really like the sound in our Pacifica but you're completely right. Sound is very subjective. I'm surprised by the lack of bass comment though. I think it's more than adequate but I also have a 3 year old in the van all the time so I'm not turning the music up too loud.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm with you too. Really like the sound in our Pacifica but you're completely right. Sound is very subjective. I'm surprised by the lack of bass comment though. I think it's more than adequate but I also have a 3 year old in the van all the time so I'm not turning the music up too loud.
Pleased enough with the Sound too. As this poster above mentioned, most of the time the kids are in the vehicle so can't do a rock concert bass anyway.

At the drive in, I'm happy enough with the full Sound for the family. I don't have the alpine Pacifica van to compare to, but the HK sounds decent enough. Certainly way better than our sienna even post aftermarket speakers. If anything it's peace of mind knowing that all of the extra speakers are moulded and pre wired if one wants to improve the drivers at a later date.

But point taken from the OP not to have overly high expectations from the upgrade, it is definitely not audiophile grade rather an incremental improvement that provides better flexibility down the road if needed.

Bob, please do mention if you find a good value driver update or amp, etc. would be interested in your findings.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the sound from the 20 speaker HK. I don't go very high as far as volume is concerned, not sure I've taken it past 30, but I think the source of the music is important too. Listening to XM radio to me sounds muddy to me no matter which car I'm in. I usually use my iPod, and although the files are compressed there too, it's much "brighter" than the XM is. FM HD Radio is probably closest to the quality of my iPod. CD's would be best, but I haven't tried one, because I believe it's only a single disc player.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Very happy with the HK system. Not apples to apples, but it is noticeably better then the upgraded Alpine system in my Ram Laramie which happens to have a dedicated sub under the rear seat. I am not sure the Pacifica's noise cancelling does all that much though...

Reactions: irpilot

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bass reproduction for me is definitely one of the biggest things I dont like about the HK system.. lack of a sub means I need to keep the bass eq settings up a bit for normal listening and whenever I feel like cranking it up a bit it just falls on its face. Pretty much decided I am going to remove the built in vac and likely build a custom enclosure and install a JL 13' slimline sub. Dont want to sacrifice stow n go or the ability to fold the 3rd row so the vac is definitely on the chopping block.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bass reproduction for me is definitely one of the biggest things I dont like about the HK system.. lack of a sub means I need to keep the bass eq settings up a bit for normal listening and whenever I feel like cranking it up a bit it just falls on its face. Pretty much decided I am going to remove the built in vac and likely build a custom enclosure and install a JL 13' slimline sub. Dont want to sacrifice stow n go or the ability to fold the 3rd row so the vac is definitely on the chopping block.
Why not the other side and leave the vac alone? Shouldn’t there be the same amount of “empty” space on the opposite side of the van from the vacuum/spare tire area?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Also saw some folks talking about putting a sub in the floor between the stow-and-go wells, so that may be an option.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sites-HK-US-Site

Specs of the Chrsyler Pacifica HK system from HK website. According to the page, there are subwoofers in the 20 speaker group.

The HK system may need some tuning before it can perform well.

May I know your source of input?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I’ve listened to a couple of blu rays through the Harmon Kardon speakers and thought the sound was amazing. The SiriusXM on the other hand sounds like overly compressed garbage.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sites-HK-US-Site

Specs of the Chrsyler Pacifica HK system from HK website. According to the page, there are subwoofers in the 20 speaker group.

The HK system may need some tuning before it can perform well.

May I know your source of input?
Am streaming from my iphone, so I realize there are compression issues...ultimately I take no issues with the clarity of the system, at low to casual listening levels it is well staged and clean, but simply doesnt hold up at more aggressive volumes the way I would expect a 2k upgrade to. I believe they claim their "6x9's" act as subwoofers, but when pushed they become flappy and flatulent sounding... even the midbass does to a notable degree.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Am streaming from my iphone, so I realize there are compression issues...ultimately I take no issues with the clarity of the system, at low to casual listening levels it is well staged and clean, but simply doesnt hold up at more aggressive volumes the way I would expect a 2k upgrade to. I believe they claim their "6x9's" act as subwoofers, but when pushed they become flappy and flatulent sounding... even the midbass does to a notable degree.
Do you believe a simple speaker swap out for “better” 6x9s will solve the issues you find with the HK sound?

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica Limited
88 Posts
I find the HK system in my Pacifica to be awesome (for my needs) and think it's being a little harsh calling it "a complete waste of money"... No matter how good (or bad) of a factory audio system you have in a vehicle, you can always throw money at aftermarket equipment and improve on it, based on your individual perception of what "great sound" is... As was already already pointed out, the source of input also makes a big difference in total quality of sound, especially at higher volume levels. No question that you can buy more expensive components and increase the performance, but I think that for the masses, it's a very capable system.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
Do you believe a simple speaker swap out for “better” 6x9s will solve the issues you find with the HK sound?
Unfortunately this is a case of size does matter so a sub would be the only realistic solution to the ops needs based on his complaints.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I find the HK system in my Pacifica to be awesome (for my needs) and think it's being a little harsh calling it "a complete waste of money"... No matter how good (or bad) of a factory audio system you have in a vehicle, you can always throw money at aftermarket equipment and improve on it, based on your individual perception of what "great sound" is... As was already already pointed out, the source of input also makes a big difference in total quality of sound, especially at higher volume levels. No question that you can buy more expensive components and increase the performance, but I think that for the masses, it's a very capable system.
Its all subjective, but that was pretty much the root of my point.. at paying a $1000 premium over the Alpine system, it hardly seems like you get much for your money. The increase in performance was to me marginal at best and one would be much better off spending their $1000 on aftermarket equipment as opposed to the optional HK. I simply wish in retrospect wished that I had listened to the systems side by side before purchasing as opposed to simply assuming "more money = better sound" which in this case to me was not true.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Its all subjective, but that was pretty much the root of my point.. at paying a $1000 premium over the Alpine system, it hardly seems like you get much for your money. The increase in performance was to me marginal at best and one would be much better off spending their $1000 on aftermarket equipment as opposed to the optional HK. I simply wish in retrospect wished that I had listened to the systems side by side before purchasing as opposed to simply assuming "more money = better sound" which in this case to me was not true.

I wouldn’t say it wasn’t true, unless you’re trying to say the Alpine system is better than the HK. I take your point as you just don’t see the value in the HK upgrade for the money. As someone else mentioned simply having all the speakers wired could easily be worth a good bit vs trying to do the same after market.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We have the 20 speaker HK system in our Pacifica and it sounds fantastic. I play all sort of music at VERY high volumes (when I am alone) and this system sounds terrific. I also have the HK system in my BMW and it is great in there as well.

The only two systems I felt were better from factory were the 17 speaker Lexicon in my Geni 5.0 and the Bermester in my S550. Otherwise, both of the HK systems I currently have (the Pac and the BMW) are great.

Perhaps there is something wrong with the system in your vehicle? Or do you have the 13 speaker and not the 20 speaker? I think in order to get the 20 speaker, you need the Theater System as well.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts