2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey CadillacBob,

You may want to see if the following setting will yield something that is more acceptable to you ( If you are using iPhone/itune)

A. On your Uconnect
Media--> Audio --> turn off surround sound. Then got to balance/fade, move the central point down 1 or 2 taps from the defaut "C" position
Equalizer--> treble 6 bar up from neutral ; Bass set at neutral or 1 bar above; Mid set at 3 or 4 bar above

B. On your iPhone
Go to music--> EQ---> Choose Bass booster
Volume limit--> off
Sound Check--> On ( Slide to Green)
Music--> Cellular Data--> Slide high Quality streaming on ( green)

Check you sound with these tunes and see if you are happy with the sound stage, clarity, and Bass

1. Despacito ( Luis Fons & Daddy Yankee feat Justin B). Check if the vocal and bass meet your needs. Sweet Spot should be around or above volume level 31. tune the bass up if you are looking for someting more ear pounding. You can play with the mid tune bar 3 and 4 above neutral. I found if the mid range go more than 4, the sound feels a little too forward to me.

2. To check the max bass level the car can carry without (or with less) annoying shakes from the interior plastic panels, you can use Pitbull Hontel room service. Crank the Basss all the way up and move the bars down one at a time to the point you you can stand.

3. To check if the sound stage, I use Belle ( track 2) on 1991 Beauty and the Beast original Sound Track. Use the setting in Step A and B above as starting point. Find a quiet place at night, start the tract and close your eyes. See if you like the, vocal, sound stage and 3D effects the setting brings. I know the track well from my home theater so I can tell if the HK system can successfully reproduce what I heard. I know my home theater will give a bit better quality for sure so I discount my expectation a little when I test hear it in my Pacifica. You dont have to crank up the volume for this one.

4. Further hear the sound stage, Vocal ( to see if it's dry), clarity of the treble (to see if it's edgy) and if the bass is smooth and overall dynamic and details are acceptable, I use Celine Dion Power of love. Pay attention to each of these things ( vocal, treble, bass, details and dynamic) one at a time. Adjust the Uconnect equalizer to your liking.

And I use a few more other tunes to check other stuff... Season of love from Rent, Full sail from Ryan Farish and etc.

There is no one setting for all solution. YUsing Step A and B as staring point, you will change the setting for difference types of music. You may find youself turning the bass and/or treble and/or mid below neutral to get the best outcome you like in some cases. Unfortunately, this system doesn't provie memories for sound settings.

As we don't have access to gain, you will need to adjust the volume on the HK system to reach a sweet spot range for different types of sounds. If you go too low or too high, you will hear something pretty bad. But the sweet spot volme range is usually reasonably (ok) wide and pretty forgiving as long as you stay within it.

This may not give you something you like but it helps me find the sound I can appreciate... I hope I didnt waste you time but if you dont find this helpful after going thru all these sound checks, please don't hate me.

·
Registered
470 Posts
After five hours in our Pacifica on the highway yesterday with two and one-half hours alone I'm not at all sure why a Sub is needed with the HK System. However if one disagrees and must have one, I'm wondering why one of the many quality pre-boxed auto Subs sitting most of the time in the Stow N Go well but when Stowing is needed sitting on the large level Cargo Floor wouldn't be wonderful?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm one who think it needs a sub. I'm not going to add one because the Pac's infotainment is so tied to the rest of the car's electronics that I don't want to possibly mess up the car. Gone are the days of the replaceable radios! Plus the stock system is tuned for the noise cancelation feature. So don't want to mess with that either. Chrysler should engineer a sub into the Pac somewhere.

·
Registered
119 Posts
One other point - What is the quality of the input. I know when I use MP3 on my BMW, it is terrible, but when I use CD quality, it sounds great.

Bluetooth generally is not very good for sound quality; and if you are starting off with MP3 which is 128 or so, you will never get good sound.

·
Registered
101 Posts
One other point - What is the quality of the input. I know when I use MP3 on my BMW, it is terrible, but when I use CD quality, it sounds great.

Bluetooth generally is not very good for sound quality; and if you are starting off with MP3 which is 128 or so, you will never get good sound.
Yup. CD should be the best. I didnt get a chance to play CD tho..

For streaming MP3 from iphone, it's importatnt to turn on High quality streaming ( see my post above).

For better deatials and more spacious feel, use USB connection.

But with USB, I keep everyting I mentioned in Step A and B in my previous post but I change the HK EQ to:

Bass 6 or above
mid 2 or 1
high 4

I use this as starting point and fine tune when I need.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey CadillacBob,

You may want to see if the following setting will yield something that is more acceptable to you ( If you are using iPhone/itune)

A. On your Uconnect
Media--> Audio --> turn off surround sound. Then got to balance/fade, move the central point down 1 or 2 taps from the defaut "C" position
Equalizer--> treble 6 bar up from neutral ; Bass set at neutral or 1 bar above; Mid set at 3 or 4 bar above

B. On your iPhone
Volume limit--> off

Check you sound with these tunes and see if you are happy with the sound stage, clarity, and Bass

1. Despacito ( Luis Fons & Daddy Yankee feat Justin B). Check if the vocal and bass meet your needs. Sweet Spot should be around or above volume level 31. tune the bass up if you are looking for someting more ear pounding. You can play with the mid tune bar 3 and 4 above neutral. I found if the mid range go more than 4, the sound feels a little too forward to me.

2. To check the max bass level the car can carry without (or with less) annoying shakes from the interior plastic panels, you can use Pitbull Hontel room service. Crank the Basss all the way up and move the bars down one at a time to the point you you can stand.

3. To check if the sound stage, I use Belle ( track 2) on 1991 Beauty and the Beast original Sound Track. Use the setting in Step A and B above as starting point. Find a quiet place at night, start the tract and close your eyes. See if you like the, vocal, sound stage and 3D effects the setting brings. I know the track well from my home theater so I can tell if the HK system can successfully reproduce what I heard. I know my home theater will give a bit better quality for sure so I discount my expectation a little when I test hear it in my Pacifica. You dont have to crank up the volume for this one.

4. Further hear the sound stage, Vocal ( to see if it's dry), clarity of the treble (to see if it's edgy) and if the bass is smooth and overall dynamic and details are acceptable, I use Celine Dion Power of love. Pay attention to each of these things ( vocal, treble, bass, details and dynamic) one at a time. Adjust the Uconnect equalizer to your liking.

And I use a few more other tunes to check other stuff... Season of love from Rent, Full sail from Ryan Farish and etc.

There is no one setting for all solution. YUsing Step A and B as staring point, you will change the setting for difference types of music. You may find youself turning the bass and/or treble and/or mid below neutral to get the best outcome you like in some cases. Unfortunately, this system doesn't provie memories for sound settings.

As we don't have access to gain, you will need to adjust the volume on the HK system to reach a sweet spot range for different types of sounds. If you go too low or too high, you will hear something pretty bad. But the sweet spot volme range is usually reasonably (ok) wide and pretty forgiving as long as you stay within it.

This may not give you something you like but it helps me find the sound I can appreciate... I hope I didnt waste you time but if you dont find this helpful after going thru all these sound checks, please don't hate me.
That is one of the most thoughtful, well intentioned and genuinely insightful bits of advice I have seen recently. You sir win the internet today.

·
Registered
470 Posts
That is one of the most thoughtful, well intentioned and genuinely insightful bits of advice I have seen recently. You sir win the internet today.
This was a very thoughtful and detailed approach, very similar to what I had done to test a SONOS Sub in conjunction with two SONOS New Play 5s at home. I spent some time searching the web for the best Test Tracks for Bass and other aspects and was dumbfounded at how well the suggested music did at bringing out whichever aspect or dimension I was shooting for. I never thought about doing all this in the Pacifica ...great idea!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know that sound is highly subjective, but I have to agree that I'm quite underwhelmed with the HK system in my Pacifica Hybrid. I'm coming over from a VW Golf Sportwagen, with the Fender (Panasonic) audio system. That system included a sub packaged in the spare tire, which sounded fantastic (as well as being a brilliant design, IMHO). But the sound in my VW, especially the bottom end, was definitely more clear on the high end, and had significantly more presence, power, and punch at the bottom end. In the van (on the rare occasion I'm alone) and turn up the volume, typically through Android Auto / Google Music, set for high quality streaming, the bass falls apart even at moderate volumes, and it doesn't even bother with many of the lowest notes. I have a sub from a previous vehicle install that I've been seriously considering seeing if I could install in the rear stow-and-go well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I couldn't agree more. As an audiophile and car audio freak, I wasn't expecting much. But HK and FCA made some crucial mistakes. The lack of deep bass is obviously due to the lack of a sub - but for a 6x9 it's not too bad. To me, that's not the most glaring flaw. Sound staging is horrible. They chose to use a 6x9 in the front doors crossed over at a very low frequency which then leaves a glaring whole in output. If you have noticed that all of the highs seem to only come from the dashboard, this is why. Either using a dual cone setup in the door OR crossing those speakers over at a higher frequency would have mostly solved that issue. Stuffing a mid range speaker in this location would have been perfect, which I think is what the setup is in the Cherokee. Using the systems surround sound time delay circuits to align the sound stage would have been very easy.

All of this may sound a little overly technical - but it is really very simple OEM car audio best practice in todays world. I wasn't looking for great, but I was looking something that sounded decent. I will say I was very impressed with the Grand Cherokee I listened to prior to ordering my PAC. I was shocked when I got my first listen.

Complete waste of money. I am still trying to count the 20 claimed speakers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Best system I've ever had...Only turned it up once last week, other than that the kids are usually in there with me. But when I went full blast and adjusted the levels it sounded great. Hopefully you can do some adjusting as well to get a better sound.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I couldn't agree more. As an audiophile and car audio freak, I wasn't expecting much. But HK and FCA made some crucial mistakes. The lack of deep bass is obviously due to the lack of a sub - but for a 6x9 it's not too bad. To me, that's not the most glaring flaw. Sound staging is horrible. They chose to use a 6x9 in the front doors crossed over at a very low frequency which then leaves a glaring whole in output. If you have noticed that all of the highs seem to only come from the dashboard, this is why. Either using a dual cone setup in the door OR crossing those speakers over at a higher frequency would have mostly solved that issue. Stuffing a mid range speaker in this location would have been perfect, which I think is what the setup is in the Cherokee. Using the systems surround sound time delay circuits to align the sound stage would have been very easy.

All of this may sound a little overly technical - but it is really very simple OEM car audio best practice in todays world. I wasn't looking for great, but I was looking something that sounded decent. I will say I was very impressed with the Grand Cherokee I listened to prior to ordering my PAC. I was shocked when I got my first listen.

Complete waste of money. I am still trying to count the 20 claimed speakers.
If you say there is a standard OEM practice that HK and Chrysler chose not to follow, can you explain why HK would put their reputation on the line if the changes you suggest were so obvious and simple? I'm just saying. If you, an average consumer, could have put together a better sound package for the money, then why did HK choose not to?

To be honest, I think the sound system sounds okay for a minivan. This is not a sound studio on wheels. Nor should it be. ANd if 99% of the public is clueless about audio fidelity, then does it matter that the sound system in a Chrysler minivan sounds average?

In addition, with today's many music sources, it's hard to really get consistent sound anyway. I know some stations on Surius XM come in clear and crisp while others sound like you're listening to them on dial-up internet. Gone are the days of 24-bt music CDs. Most people stream from their phones and only God knows what quality the 20 different music apps decide to sample the music at.

Given the fact that it is hard to control the quality of the music you listen to unless you made it yourself, people just don't care that much about the technical stuff you described. Even if they did spring for the upgrade. WHich is really just more speakers anyway.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I think people are disappointed in the HK system because the Pac is so quiet that it really does lend itself to a higher end sound system.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I am no audio-phile/freak. I grew up listening to Michael Jackson, Def Leppard, Boyz2Men, Debbie Gibson, Bee Gees, Chicago, blah blah blah. The 20 HK speaker system sounds great to me! It's loud and clear. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I am no audio-phile/freak. I grew up listening to Michael Jackson, Def Leppard, Boyz2Men, Debbie Gibson, Bee Gees, Chicago, blah blah blah. The 20 HK speaker system sounds great to me! It's loud and clear. :smile2:
Yep the 70s, 80s and 90s are my jam, I love the HK system.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I’m very happy with the sound quality in the Pacifica so far. I do enjoy playing it somewhat loud when I’m alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you say there is a standard OEM practice that HK and Chrysler chose not to follow, can you explain why HK would put their reputation on the line if the changes you suggest were so obvious and simple? I'm just saying. If you, an average consumer, could have put together a better sound package for the money, then why did HK choose not to?

To be honest, I think the sound system sounds okay for a minivan. This is not a sound studio on wheels. Nor should it be. ANd if 99% of the public is clueless about audio fidelity, then does it matter that the sound system in a Chrysler minivan sounds average?

In addition, with today's many music sources, it's hard to really get consistent sound anyway. I know some stations on Surius XM come in clear and crisp while others sound like you're listening to them on dial-up internet. Gone are the days of 24-bt music CDs. Most people stream from their phones and only God knows what quality the 20 different music apps decide to sample the music at.

Given the fact that it is hard to control the quality of the music you listen to unless you made it yourself, people just don't care that much about the technical stuff you described. Even if they did spring for the upgrade. Which is really just more speakers anyway.
I can offer my additional opinions here, but I have no interest in an online battle of the two keyboards. Just sayin.

As a matter of comparison, the Alpine system in my opinion sounds ok for a minivan. It was not as good as the Honda, light years better than the Kia and I have not listened to the Toyota. The HK unit is not a very good upgrade, even for the money. I had the fortune of listening to the Jeep Grand Cherokees system prior to my order, that the sound quality they put together in that setup was worth the money to upgrade. That had to of colored my opinion for sure. The sound staging was excellent, and the cross over points were perfectly suited to this.

I think most folks know that XM is a low res medium, so I would discount that. I agree with your comments about streaming, but that is a resolution issue or clarity issue and not something the system could be blamed for (in terms of sq) - that is not only user error but also not something the system suffers from anyway.

People see the claim of additional speakers and automatically check the box. I think we all can get that. But to answer your question as to WHY did HK produce something sub par when it's easy for someone like me to pick it apart? I don't know. But, as you can see from the threads here, I am not the only one in this bucket. It would seem to me that HK took the approach of minimal engineering here. The front door 6x9's handle what seems like 20-250 hz and then "roll off" fairly sharp. That is why, if you go listen now, that you only hear bass and some mid bass notes from those speakers. It would have very very simple to either range the cross over point freq. or change the cross over slope to create less of a gap sonically between the door speakers, and the mid range/tweeter on the dash. The other solution would be to either have used a dual cone setup and time alighted the tweeter portion of that driver to the dash (so they are in phase with one another) or used a midrange driver either in place of the small useless window or up on the door in another enclosure. The latter would be more expensive, but that is how the Cherokee's layout is if I remember correctly. The problems behind the driver get worse, but I won't even go there for now. It's a mess in the second row, again needlessly. None of these issues are rocket science, but this all points to HK not really give two shits about how the system sounds, but rather how many times they can flash their logo.

I agree, a production stock system is NOT going to sound like something I would install for 5-10k. it's shouldn't. But - it is actually easier to get a stock system to sound better (sound stage speaking) in a van than an SUV or car due to it's sheer width. With surround sound DSP - it's just too simple.

Go listen to a Cherokee HK setup and you will see what I mean. Or better yet, hit up a Chevy store and give the top of the line Bose setup a listen in the Suburban.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey CadillacBob,

A. On your Uconnect

B. On your iPhone
Volume limit--> off

REALLY great tuning advice. I found the bass boost EQ setting in itunes settings to be pretty muddy - so I went with a flat EQ and #6-#8 on the head unit in the car. The compressor/limiter setting in the phone really helped (sound check). It brought out some mid clarity in most music...but I hate that setting usually on headphones (which I use a lot while working). I did find myself enjoying surround sound set to on - though my normal inclination would be to turn it off. I found it provided a little more staging and rear fill.

Awesome advise!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just chiming in that I would have been very unhappy if I specifically paid to upgrade to the HK system (when it comes as part of a loaded car its just one part of the package so not as big a deal). My main complaint is that everything sounds like it is coming from one speaker in front of me at the bottom of the windshield. Then, as I move the center point backwards one point at a time, nothing changes much until it suddenly sounds like most of the sound is muffled and coming from the rear door speakers. I can't get any balance between the two.

I know there are limits on what you can achieve with the speaker placement options available, but I find the sound much less enjoyable in my Pacifica w/ the "fancy" HK system than in any of my previous 3 SUVs that didn't have expensive speaker upgrades.

Oh well, it sounds alright, I just never would have imagined it was anything but a stock radio setup.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Aha! You are one of those that makes my house windows trembling when they drive in my street! That should be prohibited by law!

21 - 40 of 66 Posts