2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts
I'm not happy with it!

They could've done a much better job at engineering this setup. They should've integrated a sub-woofer as the current system simply can't handle the bass at higher volumes. I've had two Tahoes prior to my Pac both of which had the Bose system which performs so much better than the HK system. I'm just curious to know if anyone has been successful in finding a way to add a sub without affecting the whole system.

Turn off Surround Sound feature

For those who are experiencing a thin sound and poor imaging, try turning off the Surround Sound feature for the Audio. That made a large difference in my Alpine-based system.

I have to think some vehicles are putting out different sound from their HK Systems then other ones, as our HK System sounds terrific! I often drive five girls to dance, mostly on the Interstate and they are always routing their iPhones through the system producing excellent audio including rich bass. Yesterday I also checked out to what degree the sound was coming from various speakers front to back. I was trying to see why some posters have said the sound is either coming only from the dashboard or from the back of the vehicle. Mine sounds like it is distributed nicely from all areas. I keep the fader set just rear of center, and the equalizer is mostly on center except the base is plus one and the mid-range is plus two. I will say my SONOS Play 5s set up in stereo with the SONOS Sub in our house can crank the volume out higher without distortion. The girls keep the Pacifica Volume as loud as I could ever stand it, without a bass distortion.

I have to think some vehicles are putting out different sound from their HK Systems then other ones, as our HK System sounds terrific! .................. The girls keep the Pacifica Volume as loud as I could ever stand it, without a bass distortion.
I whole heartily agree. I can crank my system up louder than I'm comfortable with and have no distortion. Maybe my 52 year old ears have lost some of their sensitivity over that years :surprise:

Reactions: Lily
I whole heartily agree. I can crank my system up louder than I'm comfortable with and have no distortion. Maybe my 52 year old ears have lost some of their sensitivity over that years :surprise:
Yeah. I just don't know what people expect. HK isn't even top of the line. Top of the line audio systems run in the tens of thousands. This is a minivan folks. Not even a luxury vehicle.

10 Car Stereos for the World?s Finest Luxury Cars ? Robb Report

I can guarantee you that more scrutiny should be placed on the stereos in the link above than the average HK system in a minivan. lol Just sayin.

Sure, the HK system may sound better in other vehicles, but the inside cabins are completely different. Angles, insulation, cabin volume, number of surfaces that reflect sound (different seat configs in minivans), materials used, carpet, floormats, etc.

You cannot expect an HK system to sound the same even in an SUV compared to a minivan. The physics just aren't the same. I'm sure the HK engineers tried their best to account for those differences.

I would argue that 99% of serious audiophiles are never 100% happy with stock radios as they have their own tastes in sound. Which is why they eventually get after-market setups to suit their needs. I used to be a part of the BMW forums and people would complain about the upgraded HK 16 speaker Logic 7 system in the tiny 3-series. :surprise:

As far as the Pacifica is concerned, I think the sound system was further down the list of must-haves. Most people just wanted an efficient people mover that could play movies and their favorite to 40 hits. All the other stuff is irrelevant to them.

I didn't get the upgraded system because I knew just adding a few speakers wouldn't really matter in the long run. I like my hearing. lol

I think it sounds excellent when streaming from a high quality source. The only time I’m not happy with the sound quality is when I’m streaming satellite radio because it’s such a low quality stream (my guess is between 40 - 64kbps).

I think the HK sounds excellent for a factory radio. Rich sound. I listen to hd fm radio and sounds better with Apple Music high quality audio streaming. Of course cd is better quality. My settings are bass -1, mid 0, high +1, fader/balance center and surround off.

The only downside in my experience was a slight rattling noise coming from behind the drivers side door panel with certain bass frequencies. I recently dynamated the front doors and applied dynaliner to the inside of the door panel. Problem solved and bass and mid bass now sounds more crisp, rich. I also did the rear hatch. Will soon do both sliding doors. Another down side was the woofer (6x9) material is paper cone and foam surround. For longetivity I expected better speaker materials tbh.

I have a 2019 Limited with HK system. For 20 speakers it is underwhelming. I'm not expecting the world, but as someone who is in the world of event production, have owned HK audio receivers in the past, currently have a large and involved home theater... I have a pretty good ear. Its not the worst I have heard, its just not as good as I assumed and at higher volumes, the level of vibrations transmitted through the plastic panels is disappointing. Low volumes are fine, but I want the options to really feel things when I want it. the addition of an aftermarket sub will take some stress of the factory spkrs for low end and just focus on highs and mids.

I think part of the reason why people are underwhelmed is the audio sources. Most people listen to satellite radio, fm radio, hd radio, or bluetooth audio. None of these are high fidelity sources and don’t sound very good. I find when I have a blu ray disc playing what I hear coming from the speakers sounds very good.

I 100% DISAGREE with “cadillacbob”. The HK audio is downright awesome. I had the HK audio in my Grand Cherokee and it was a must have option in our Pacifica and does not disappoint. I have also directly compared HK Pacifica to the regular Alpine Pacifica and the HK sounds significantly better at all volume levels IMO. Not the best choice of topic titles basically making it seems like the HK system is garbage when it’s ajything but that. Just read all these replies and it’s pretty obvious cadillacbob is pretty much on his own with that opinion.

Reactions: Lily
I doubt it.... for anyone who hasn't purchased yet, just order the 13 speaker Alpine system. It's crisper, brighter and handles the lows much better than the HK with being overbearing.... It's the best deal with the best sounding output.... The 500+ watts equalized properly sounds superb and is enough for this vehicle. Turn it up!!!

I have to agree the bass on the HK system is underwhelming. But with kids and other passengers in the car, it's good enough. I wouldn't want to make it uncomfortable for whoever is sitting closest to the sub.

Not sure what you're comparing the speakers to, but IMO, like others, its arguably the best sounding system I've ever owned. And I've installed custom speaker systems in previous cars, which sounded great, but the HK on the Pacifica is pretty darn good, and stock! The system really shines if you provide it high quality music to play. If you play Mp3 music compressed at 64kbps then it will sound like utter garbage... as they say, garbage in, garbage out. If you feed it quality encoded music it will sound amazing.

Maybe there is something broken with yours.

G.

I doubt it.... for anyone who hasn't purchased yet, just order the 13 speaker Alpine system. It's crisper, brighter and handles the lows much better than the HK with being overbearing.... It's the best deal with the best sounding output.... The 500+ watts equalized properly sounds superb and is enough for this vehicle. Turn it up!!!
Let me preface this post by stating audio is very subjective.

However, a fact is that when something requires a lot of equalization means its lacking frequency response in the speakers, which means it was poorly designed.

Between the three speaker configurations, the HK sounds far crisper and required zero equalization compared to the 13 speaker setup, basically supporting what you already claim. Now, if you like listening to boom boom music, then I can see why the HK won't do much for you. But if you like listening to orchestra music, classical music, etc, where clarity and distortion free audio is more important than just rattling the doors off your Pacifica, then the HK will sound better and more natural without any equalization.

G.

Reactions: DRZ and panoguy
^^^ Well put. High voltage bass is just that. It is not fine music reproduction.

Yeah, none of these "past glories" matters b/c a statistical sampling of one doesn't determine anything, and oh, I disagree 100% with you.

G.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.