2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not to change the thread but have another question that crept in to my head after reading this thread. It's spring and time to spread mulch, if I fold all seats down and spread bags of mulch evenly throughout the cargo area, what do you suppose is the weight limit of how many bags I could haul? Let's say for argument sake the bags weigh 25lbs each??
I don't know if this would be accurate: 6 adults weighing 180 lbs. each (I didn't count the driver and front passenger) =1080 lbs. --> Divide by 25 = 43.2 bags :surprise:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not to change the thread but have another question that crept in to my head after reading this thread. It's spring and time to spread mulch, if I fold all seats down and spread bags of mulch evenly throughout the cargo area, what do you suppose is the weight limit of how many bags I could haul? Let's say for argument sake the bags weigh 25lbs each??
https://www.fcausfleet.com/content/dam/fca-fleet/na/fleet/en_us/chrysler/2017/pacifica/vlp/docs/Pacifica_Specifications.pdf

The spec sheet says curb weight = 4330 lb, GVWR = 6005 lb. 6005 - 4330 = 1675 lb payload capacity. Subtract 200lb for the driver and you get 1475 lb for cargo. Those common 2 cu ft bags of mulch are closer to 40-50 lb than 25. Assuming 50 lb each to add some safety margin, you could carry 29 bags.

And with that, I'm off to Home Depot to pick up some mulch :D.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Awesome idea, thanks for sharing. I'll also be doing this when we get our new van, as I, too, make regular trips to the landfill.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Reactions: stop-eject

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, I thought you said your "wife was IN one!" I was thinking about one for the kids. They are destroying the new ride!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great idea for the Bagster. I've not used one previously but am curious how resistant it is to sharp objects - metal pieces, glass, etc.

I did get a water resistant 4x7 ground cover tarp at Lowes and use that as a base for hauling. It is lightweight but very tough.

I also brought home 2 cubic yards of bagged dirt (over 2 trips) a couple of weekends after getting the PacHy. I stowed the third row, laid down the tarp and stacked 14 bags of dirt (2 cubic feet each). I was surprised to see no noticeable difference from all that weight. Great shocks!

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I recently used Bagster again and want to bring this post back, in case more people find it useful.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
104 Posts
Very useful! I have a 9x12 blue tarp that I lay down to somewhat protect the floor from lumber and dirt, but it does nothing for the sides and seats. Your solution covers everything! :cool:

Reactions: stop-eject

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good point about the weight capacity, just because you have the volume does not mean you can carry the load. In my 1996 Ford Windstar, I brought home a few landscaping bricks, not sure how many. But I think I came pretty close to the max load, it was a very strange drive home. I won't do that again.

I have a half-sheet of thin plywood: 4'x4' that I put down when the third row seat is stowed. Then I just throw a tarp down over that with sufficient overlap on the sides and the tailgate to load garden soil etc. It works pretty well, but I like the bag idea.

I have often thought it would be handy to have something like a custom fit gurney, where you can load a cart full of stuff, or a wagon, that you can roll right up to the tailgate and then into the van. Would be handy for those camping trips where you have to haul a bunch of stuff to a campsite, or for music gear when doing a show. Just load up the wagon and roll it right into the van. If something does not exist like this, I might have to design it myself. My other idea was like a rooftop rocket box that you can convert into a wagon with wheels and a handle, so you can just take the whole rocket box with you.

Reactions: panoguy

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
104 Posts
I have often thought it would be handy to have something like a custom fit gurney, where you can load a cart full of stuff, or a wagon, that you can roll right up to the tailgate and then into the van.
Look at hearses... they come with a gurney that folds into the floor with the load on top! (I had a girlfriend in college who drove a 1979 Cadillac hearse. Her dad collected hearses and limos and thought it would keep her out of trouble - boy was he wrong!)

Reactions: GlenP

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is why I have had a 4x8 trailer since my first car. 1700lb loads from Home depot, or trips to the town dump. Just added the hitch to the van for this purpose. Used to do it all with my WRX.

As for using the van, I use an aluminum highway sign that i cut to fit the floor with the rear seats folded. I add 3 pieces of 1x6 boards as a perimeter, and keep stuff from sliding under the middle seats. Lets you treat the back area as a pick up bed. I hate putting point loads on the back of the seats or the soft floor. so some brick, or bags of cement, firewood, camping gear. and you can slide and position stuff easily, and now the floor is actually flat.

As a side note, a youth 50cc Polaris ATV fits in the rear with third row folded, and middle row still up. straight in, with enough room for a radio flyer on its side next to it.

-trat

21 - 34 of 34 Posts