2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you got ESS (Engine Start/Stop) Problems? Help is on the way!

Recall 19V348000, otherwise known as V53, is listed as a Safety Recall for Power Steering Assist and Engine Stalls. This recall, if done properly, has been found by a few to fix all known problems with the ESS relating to the Auxiliary Battery.

The intended subject of the recall should read as follows (pertaining to the ESS):

The Auxiliary Battery ground eyelet may have been built with a sealer/adhesive that is used in the wire harness manufacturing process that may result in excess heat shrink adhesive being deposited on the wire harness eyelet and on the connecting grounding stud and nut which may cause a loss of clamp load in the Auxiliary Battery ground joint over time. This may result in an intermittent Auxiliary Battery ground connection.

Now comes the part of this post that remains theoretical at this time. If you have had this recall done already and it didn't fix your ESS problems, you may have to have the recall done again (this is in my opinion only). There are lots of ways that this recall could have been done incorrectly or incompletely. My suggestion is for you to read and have some of the pictures shown in the dealer service instructions PDF printed off and shown to the mechanic doing the recall. Make sure to emphasize your concern to have the recall done right. The link (thanks to Shadow5501 for providing the link) to the dealer service instructions PDF is:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V348-8890.pdf

The dealer service instructions PDF shows how the adhesive should be scraped off with a plastic scraper (not metal) and how the excess shrink adhesive should be removed from all ground terminal connection surfaces, including the grounding stud and nut. All surfaces should then be cleaned with Electrical Contact Cleaner. If all these things aren't done properly, the loose Auxiliary Battery connections will remain, and so will the ESS problems.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Have you got ESS (Engine Start/Stop) Problems? Help is on the way!

Recall 19V348000, otherwise known as V53, is listed as a Safety Recall for Power Steering Assist and Engine Stalls. This recall, if done properly, has been found by a few to fix all known problems with the ESS relating to the Auxiliary Battery.

The intended subject of the recall should read as follows (pertaining to the ESS):

The Auxiliary Battery ground eyelet may have been built with a sealer/adhesive that is used in the wire harness manufacturing process that may result in excess heat shrink adhesive being deposited on the wire harness eyelet and on the connecting grounding stud and nut which may cause a loss of clamp load in the Auxiliary Battery ground joint over time. This may result in an intermittent Auxiliary Battery ground connection.

Now comes the part of this post that remains theoretical at this time. If you have had this recall done already and it didn't fix your ESS problems, you may have to have the recall done again (this is in my opinion only). There are lots of ways that this recall could have been done incorrectly or incompletely. My suggestion is for you to read and have some of the pictures shown in the dealer service instructions PDF printed off and shown to the mechanic doing the recall. Make sure to emphasize your concern to have the recall done right. The link (thanks to Shadow5501 for providing the link) to the dealer service instructions PDF is:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V348-8890.pdf

The dealer service instructions PDF shows how the adhesive should be scraped off with a plastic scraper (not metal) and how the excess shrink adhesive should be removed from all ground terminal connection surfaces, including the grounding stud and nut. All surfaces should then be cleaned with Electrical Contact Cleaner. If all these things aren't done properly, the loose Auxiliary Battery connections will remain, and so will the ESS problems.
...could be. A bad ground can cause 'mysterious' problems.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Just an update, I took my 2017 in for an ac issue (ac clutch went out) and through them testing the AC, the ESS reset and works 4.0. wasn't a dead alternate battery at all. Basically a reset caused the to battery's to Sync and the computer to see the full capacity giving an all good to go self test result. Nice to have it back..

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just an update, I took my 2017 in for an ac issue (ac clutch went out) and through them testing the AC, the ESS reset and works 4.0. wasn't a dead alternate battery at all. Basically a reset caused the to battery's to Sync and the computer to see the full capacity giving an all good to go self test result. Nice to have it back..
Could you explain the bolded phrase a little better. Many post here relate to this problem, and we'd like to be able to give exact answers. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts