2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
A note to anyone looking to replace their HID lights with "brighter bluer" lights: please don't. You will annoy, and possibly temporarily diminish the vision of oncoming drivers.

The anatomy of the human eye is too complex to delve into here, but the gist is that we have far wider and more sensitive vision for blue light than for light in the warmer parts of the spectrum. In other words, a blue light will appear brighter in your peripheral vision than will a warmer light. As we age past 40, our reaction to this glare becomes slower.

The engineers who design auto lighting are well aware of this, and choose lights accordingly. If you have a Pacifica that is not a Limited, upgrade to the same OEM lights as the Limited (they are really nice!), but avoid those higher color temperature lights. Some European countries have already banned them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
A note to anyone looking to replace their HID lights with "brighter bluer" lights: please don't. You will annoy, and possibly temporarily diminish the vision of oncoming drivers.

The anatomy of the human eye is too complex to delve into here, but the gist is that we have far wider and more sensitive vision for blue light than for light in the warmer parts of the spectrum. In other words, a blue light will appear brighter in your peripheral vision than will a warmer light. As we age past 40, our reaction to this glare becomes slower.

The engineers who design auto lighting are well aware of this, and choose lights accordingly. If you have a Pacifica that is not a Limited, upgrade to the same OEM lights as the Limited (they are really nice!), but avoid those higher color temperature lights. Some European countries have already banned them.
I wish I could like your post a million times.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think I have my passenger side HID lamp fail on me as well. I am at 34k miles, and this car is just about a lemon. I will be very disappointed if they make me pay for it. Chrysler towing company punched a hole in our bumper and they say "tow equipment is not generally in that area", which is utter BS. So now I have to pay 500 dollar deductable to get this thing fixed. They also busted the park sensors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headlight Dealer Saying Not Warranty - Help!

On pick up dealer showed pricing of $396! They weren't asking me for payment, but I asked the service writer to zero that out before I signed off. Can you imagine - $400 for light bulb replacement?
We are being quoted the $400 for a Pacifica less than two years old and below 29k miles.

Any sources for why it is under warranty?

Thanks

Jesse

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK - so i just got off of the phone of the service manager - and happily it is covered by warranty - so advice - check and double check on whether it is covered - they did say that regular bulbs may not be but the expensive HID bulbs are covered.

I did also chat with the Chrysler Care - they said it was not - but to call the toll free number to check - i called and was stuck in operator **** and could not find an option to talk to a person - ouch - seems like they are not hitting the mark on good service.

SOOO glad that i found this forum to resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Jesse

·
Registered
15 Posts
My passenger side HID just went out as well. Is this the same side for everyone have failures?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My drivers side from a 2017 just went out. I've looked on YouTube and the internet and can't find instructions for it. I couldn't get the HID to rotate, my hand just won't fit, so I tried taking the trim and light assembly apart to get into it easier. However, there's some missing attachment underneath that I can't see. Anyone have any hints on how to replace this HID? I have the bulb. Dealer said no to warranty already.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is there anything in writing about the HID bulb being covered under warranty? I see some posts saying it is, and other day it is not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Osram D3S CBB are in my mind the best choice. They are not the whitest. Can only tell the difference if you have a side by side comparison with a whiter bulb. CBB has more of a factory look but much much higher performing bulb. Maybe 60% better performance. You cannot go wrong with Osram or Philips brand. These are OEM Brands. Best place to buy these are over the internet,

1) theretrofitsource.com
2) headlightrevolution.com

These are the real deal vendors. I would strongly recommend “NOT” to buy these bulbs from AMAZON. I would say 95% of these bulbs knock offs......

·
Registered
15 Posts
My pac is at the dealer now for several issues, one of which being the HID headlight. They are telling me the bulb warranty is 12mo/12000 miles. Did they really use a bulb that's almost $400 and only lasts one year?!?! I've had some cars 5+ years and never replaced a lightbulb. Now I have a $400 bulb that doesn't last a year?!?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Limited HID Bulb Replacement Procedure

Hi, does anyone have a video or procedure for replacing the stock Limited HID bulbs (D3S). Looks similar to the halogen replacement but there is not a lot of room in the access area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, does anyone have a video or procedure for replacing the stock Limited HID bulbs (D3S). Looks similar to the halogen replacement but there is not a lot of room in the access area.
I was never able to find one and I contacted someone who works for Mopar and he said that the manuals he had didn't have information either.

I started taking apart the trim to remove the entire headlight assembly and stopped after about 30 minutes, couldn't find a hidden screw underneath.

Frustrating.

I ended up paying the dealer.

Shouldn't have burnt out in 18 months...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I couldn’t get the HID out on the driver side and there’s not a lot of room. Less than 35K on it when it failed. Bought OEM bulb. Dealer refused to install it at first. Charged a full hour for labor. I’ll figure it out by the next failure. It shouldn’t have been as hard as it was.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Basically remove the cover, locate bulb, the bulb should twist counter clockwise to remove it. Disconnect cables and voila. Insert new bulb and reverse the process.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was able to complete this. Was a bit tough getting the replacement bulb back in, very tough to get hand in there and rotate clockwise in. "Basically remove the cover, locate bulb, the bulb should twist counter clockwise to remove it. Disconnect cables and voila. Insert new bulb and reverse the process."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Zale. Did you in fact have to twist the D3S bulb to remove and replace? On some other cars it is a straight pull out and twisting would destroy it. The video in post 33 does not apply to the D3S bulb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alright I figured it out. After removing the dust cover you twist the square base of the D3S bulb counterclockwise slightly and then pull the bulb back an inch. Now disconnect the wire, the connector pulls straight off, no locking tabs. Put the new bulb back in the housing far enough to be able to reconnect the wire. Then with the bulb twisted counterclockwise the same amount as when you removed it, push it fully home. Twist clockwise to lock in position. Here’s my video:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright I figured it out. After removing the dust cover you twist the square base of the D3S bulb counterclockwise slightly and then pull the bulb back an inch. Now disconnect the wire, the connector pulls straight off, no locking tabs. Put the new bulb back in the housing far enough to be able to reconnect the wire. Then with the bulb twisted counterclockwise the same amount as when you removed it, push it fully home. Twist clockwise to lock in position. Here’s my video:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I watched your video. I needed the confidence to turn the bulb without the concern of breaking something. The only issue I ran into was getting the bulb plugged in again. The wire kept falling before I could get it lined up and pushed in. Finally what I ended up doing was loosely taping the wire to the plastic casing and I got it pushed in pretty easily from there. I replaced the drivers side as well and that one was super easy. In fact the wire pulled out 2-3 inches which made it even easier.

Thanks again!!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts