2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After moving to a PHEV I thought I should add a smoke alarm to the garage just in case. Really should have always had one. After reading I found out smoke alarms are not made for garages. You need a heat alarm. Specifically a rise over time one. Problem is I can not find a stand alone battery operated heat alarm on Amazon or Lowes. I can find hardwired ones, but my garage isn't wired for it. Does anyone know of one? Seems like someone would make one, but I can not find one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With the hybrid fire risk recall, does anyone know of a rise over time heat alarm that is a standalone unit that runs off batteries for a garage? I never did find one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Why would smoke alarms not work? If any of the car fire YouTube videos I've seen are any indication, a burning car makes an absurd amount of smoke from all the plastics involved.

All I've heard is that a heat alarm will trigger much, much later than a smoke. Now, maybe if you're stick welding in said garage a smoke alarm would be a bad idea but I'd wager not that many people do that next to their new PHEV...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dust, insects, etc.will trigger smoke alarms in the garage. I even picked up a smoke alarm to put in the garage and noticed it said not for use in garages. That is when I did some reading and found out you really need to use heat ones due to false alarms with smoke alarms in a garage.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I clicked on a few of those and they seem to require it to be connected wireless to an alarms system. I was looking for a stand alone unit.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I called my insurance company if I need to put a system in garage for the charger , I don’t park in garage , and was told it’s not needed for my house insurance .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't told I needed it by insurance. I was just looking for one because I wanted it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts