2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1st Winter with my Pacifica and the weather just started getting a little colder here in Buffalo, NY. The heated steering wheel is an option that I really like and I've had it as an option on all of my cars for at least the last ten years, including my previous (2) Chrysler T&C's. The colder the weather progressively gets throughout the Winter, the more I appreciate that option, especially when it senses the outside temp being below freezing and automatically turns on and preheats when using the remote start.

During the last week, we've had sustained temps hovering below or around the freezing mark and I've noticed that even with the heated steering wheel option engaged, the wheel has a metal trim ring that stays cold for quite a while. It's like having a 1/4" sliver of ice radiating cold from the center of the wheel... I'm sure that on a longer trip it would warm up, but for the short 15-20 minute trips, it never allows the wheel to feel as warm as all the other heated steering wheels that I've had in the past.

Not a huge deal for me, but on future Pacifica models, if given the choice, I would gladly trade-off the fancy metal trim ring on the steering wheel for a plain leather one that gets warm quicker.

·
Registered
195 Posts
the ring never gets warm. It is a bad design. It looks good but functions badly. I would gladly do without the metal trim to have a fully warm steering wheel.
This is essentially what the Touring L Plus has. You would likely lose the two-tone color, but you should look into swapping with a heated wheel out of a Touring L Plus if the ring bothers you that badly.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Yup, the cold metal ring has been one of the pet peeves that a lot us have been complaining about for a while. They should really change the design, but even if they do, that won't help current owners.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is essentially what the Touring L Plus has. You would likely lose the two-tone color, but you should look into swapping with a heated wheel out of a Touring L Plus if the ring bothers you that badly.
I have a touring L plus and it has metal cold spots on the wheel as well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a touring L plus and it has metal cold spots on the wheel as well.
The switches on the wheel are metal and can be cold, yes, but it doesn't have the metal ring around the entire outside edge of the wheel like the Limited trim does.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
IMO - The ice cold metal ring is so uncomfortable next to the heated part that it completely negates any value in having a heated wheel. That metal ring needs to be removed in future Pacificas. I generally love all the well executed design features in the Pacifica but this particular one is a minor fail to me. I don't even turn it on anymore.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here's another vote. The metal ring is a face-palm-level design miss. It's hard to understand how it got past a basic design review, especially when the designers work in the deep freeze in Michigan. I could see it if California or Florida (or Italian) designers made this mistake, but I'm going to guess that at least several engineers (and hopefully a designer or two) in Detroit noticed the issue before it went to press, but got overridden by a suit with a weak grasp on design fundamentals and--well--thermodynamics.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I haven’t experienced it myself yet but recall reading someone mention that the ring also can get blazingly hot when the sun is shining on it on a hot day. So fail both ways.

Wonder how hard it is to swap a steering wheel

·
Registered
758 Posts
What if you vinyl wrapped that ring around the steering wheel? Would that reduce the level of cold/chill it would have?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
What if you vinyl wrapped that ring around the steering wheel? Would that reduce the level of cold/chill it would have?
I think so. I did an experiment last year and the discomfort mostly went away for me when I tried touching the wheel while wearing a thin disposable plastic glove. I told my wife I would splurge and get her a whole box of those 5 mil thick gloves at Harbor Freight for Christmas but she wasn't amused by my cheapness or fashion sense.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Might be worth someone taking a look into. You still have all the benefits of the 2 tone wheel and just wrap the silve/chrome piece in a chrome vinyl. Would look identical I would think and reduce the cold issue. It would even work for the hot issue in the summer.

Not sure what that would cost and if a shop would even take the time for somethign that small.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This ring is a huge functionality fail. I picked up my brand-new 2018 Pacifica Limited a month ago and noticed the ring of ice on the steering wheel the moment I got into it. It has only gotten worse as the winter deepens. Unfortunately it isn't a small thing when it is -20 to -30 c outside here in Canada. Even with the wheel warmed up for 15 minutes, it is still icy cold. I have to wear winter gloves while driving, with the heated steering wheel on. If I don't have gloves, I have to hold the wheel with my fingers and not let my palms touch the metal. This was designed in Michigan and made in Windsor, so who was the genius that missed this? Why on earth would you put a ring of metal on a steering wheel and think that was a good thing? With all of the testing that was done, was it only tested in the spring or fall?

I can just imagine in the middle of summer that I will be burning my hands touching this. I don't think I am exaggerating unfortunately. Is anyone at Chrysler looking into this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
13 Participants
jsmit86
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing