2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our 2018 Touring L Plus in the middle of January. A day or two after we purchased it, I noticed a weird smell coming from the heater. Sort of like a sweet smell syrupy smell. Well, it has progressively gotten worse, up to the point where I won't turn on the heater when I'm in the van. Anyone who rides in the van instantly complains about the foul smell. I read online that a syrup smell could be a coolant leak or heater core issue. I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago and they said they checked everything out and there are no leaks. They said they ran the heater and the AC on full blast for several minutes and it decreased the smell. They assured me it was glue/styrofoam and other stuff simply burning off and it will eventually go away. Well, I got in the car and it was still there and is just as bad. It's sad we got this new car and not only can't we enjoy the new car smell, but I don't even want to drive it. It just still smells toxic after 1,700 miles when we turn on the Heater or AC. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? My wife has been nervous because she's pregnant and thinks she's just breathing in poison! Thanks.

As of now, I'm taking it to a different dealer on Thursday to see what they say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
did it smell like hazelnut coffee? I have a similar situation smells like sweet coffee come and goes, but the coolant level seems ok after 3 months very frustrating

·
Registered
31 Posts
This happened to my PacHy. It was a leaking or cracked heater core. Search this forum for "heater core" and you will see it has happened to a handful of people. Ask the dealer if they can do a pressure test or leak detection test of the coolant system. The fix for me took a week to receive a new heater core (I kept my van till the part was received), then another 3-4 days to replace the part. The entire dashboard needs to be removed.

It's been about 1.5 years since that happened, and the smell is coming back faintly again, though. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Heater cores tend to develop leaks more frequently in the past 20 years as automakers switched to aluminum cores. They corrode for the same reason that the aluminum hoods on the Pacifica (and aluminum body panels on many other vehicles) are corroding. The contact between dissimilar metals, aluminum and steel, results in galvanic corrosion of the aluminum. Preventing galvanic corrosion on new vehicles has proven to be more problematic than automakers expected. They are all replacing many aluminum hoods, fender and door panels, truck beds, etc., as well as heater cores under warranty. Who says that aluminum doesn't corrode? Certainly, nobody familiar with metallurgy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts