2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm supposed to take delivery of a 2021 Limited (gas) in ten days. It's not a hybrid, just good ol' gas. I'm getting it because I want something with a flat, flat, flat floor that I can sleep in for extended camping. And I don't want a lot of things that can break.

So today I dared to peek into the Forum and was bombarded by pages and pages of unhappy owners of Pacificas, many of hybrids, but lots and lots of complaints about this and that not working and this and that dealer not fixing things properly, and this and that owner being stranded here and there with a vehicle that's not working properly. It scares the dickens out of me.

I'm 70 years old and I've been looking forward to a relatively easy road with relatively carefree travels and a vehicle that isn't problematic. Now I'm wondering if I'm getting myself into a zone filled with trouble.

I'd love to hear from some folks who are more or less happy with their relatively new Pacificas. I still have the option of NOT buying this Limited if I decided I don't want to. It would cost me a deposit, but that's a sacrifice I'd make if I judged it a wise choice.

I realize I'm a nervous Nellie, but that's my nature and there's no use fighting it after all these years.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,055 Posts
Product forums attract those with problems, looking for help, or looking to complain. Remember that for every poster that comes here to complain about a problem, there are tens, or hundreds of thousands of users with no problems.

You will find similar posts for any other vehicle or product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Product forums attract those with problems, looking for help, or looking to complain. Remember that for every poster that comes here to complain about a problem, there are tens, or hundreds of thousands of users with no problems.

Thanks. I know that in my logical brain, but it's hard when they're so invisible. :) I appreciate your encouraging words.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
512 Posts
Well, FWIW, I was as nervous as you back in '17 when I first contemplated buying one. Lots and lots of problems with the then new generation. Waited until there were two years of production under Chrysler's belt before pulling the trigger.

Still, we had a few problems, the worst being that the UConnect head unit went south and had to be replaced. It all happened just as COVID caused factories to shut down, so it took four months to get it. I must say the dealer was very good to us by providing a loaner minivan the entire time.

Do we still have it? You bet! We love it!!! I'm actually considering buying a second one next year (perhaps AWD version) to take advantage of all of the high-tech safety features my '08 Toyota 4Runner does not have.

BTW, I should point out that the floor with all of the seats stowed is not entirely "flat, flat, flat" as you mentioned in your post. There is a rise of at least an inch where the front of the un-stowed third row seat clamps onto the floor bracket. Others have used Pacificas for camping and managed just fine. Perhaps they "shim" the area or use a heavily padded pillow.

Finally, if there will be long periods of time where your Limited won't be driven, I strongly suggest you invest in a battery tender if you haven't already. It isn't required, but as you peruse this forum you'll notice a number of threads that discuss all kinds of various issues where many of them are caused by weak batteries. Yours will have two, a main used like for other vehicles, and a smaller auxiliary related to the engine stop-start system. If the AUX starts going south, it will take the main with it, so it's a good idea to use a battery tender to keep them both charged.

Hope this helps. Like anything else, if you take good care of it, it will take good care of you.

·
Registered
772 Posts

↑↑↑↑THIS↑↑↑↑

Reactions: freddief73

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, FWIW, I was as nervous as you back in '17 when I first contemplated buying one. Lots and lots of problems with the then new generation. Waited until there were two years of production under Chrysler's belt before pulling the trigger.

Still, we had a few problems, the worst being that the UConnect head unit went south and had to be replaced. It all happened just as COVID caused factories to shut down, so it took four months to get it. I must say the dealer was very good to us by providing a loaner minivan the entire time.

Do we still have it? You bet! We love it!!! I'm actually considering buying a second one next year (perhaps AWD version) to take advantage of all of the high-tech safety features my '08 Toyota 4Runner does not have.

BTW, I should point out that the floor with all of the seats stowed is not entirely "flat, flat, flat" as you mentioned in your post. There is a rise of at least an inch where the front of the un-stowed third row seat clamps onto the floor bracket. Others have used Pacificas for camping and managed just fine. Perhaps they "shim" the area or use a heavily padded pillow.

Finally, if there will be long periods of time where your Limited won't be driven, I strongly suggest you invest in a battery tender if you haven't already. It isn't required, but as you peruse this forum you'll notice a number of threads that discuss all kinds of various issues where many of them are caused by weak batteries. Yours will have two, a main used like for other vehicles, and a smaller auxiliary related to the engine stop-start system. If the AUX starts going south, it will take the main with it, so it's a good idea to use a battery tender to keep them both charged.

Hope this helps. Like anything else, if you take good care of it, it will take good care of you.
Thanks so much. I will look into a "battery tender" right away. No idea exactly what it is, but I'm sure if I ask around, I can find out. I expect the vehicle will sit quietly for considerable periods between trips. Does it go under the hood or elsewhere?

I really appreciate your thoughtful reply. The tip about the 1" bump in the bed area is one I hadn't noticed, but I bet I'll work around it. I wish the hybrid had come with stowaway seats, but no such luck. In any case, it seems like the hybrids might have an extra share of electrical issues, perhaps. I can live without those.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,356 Posts
I'm supposed to take delivery of a 2021 Limited (gas) in ten days. It's not a hybrid, just good ol' gas. I'm getting it because I want something with a flat, flat, flat floor that I can sleep in for extended camping. And I don't want a lot of things that can break.

So today I dared to peek into the Forum and was bombarded by pages and pages of unhappy owners of Pacificas, many of hybrids, but lots and lots of complaints about this and that not working and this and that dealer not fixing things properly, and this and that owner being stranded here and there with a vehicle that's not working properly. It scares the dickens out of me.

I'm 70 years old and I've been looking forward to a relatively easy road with relatively carefree travels and a vehicle that isn't problematic. Now I'm wondering if I'm getting myself into a zone filled with trouble.

I'd love to hear from some folks who are more or less happy with their relatively new Pacificas. I still have the option of NOT buying this Limited if I decided I don't want to. It would cost me a deposit, but that's a sacrifice I'd make if I judged it a wise choice.

I realize I'm a nervous Nellie, but that's my nature and there's no use fighting it after all these years.
Welcome to the forum.

The main advantage of a forum is to get help with problems, but it also can help with understanding issues and at times helps with getting a problem solved. The 2021s should have most problems worked out.

Here's a thread to read about some camping things to take your mind off possible problems.

You can download more extensive owner's manuals from the Mopar website if desired.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all! I'm new here today and joined after seeing all the issues. James let give you my input. My wife has been driving a chrysler mini van since we have met over 25 years ago. Let me tell you it was basic! No power windows, locks, a/c....etc. and never had any issues with many to come. We had a couple in mid 2000 that went close to 400k before we sold. Now the story changes! Our 08 had its share of issues but not bad. Then we picked up our 2014 from the dealer and it died before we got home...lol. they so called fixed the issue and within 3 weeks the motor went bad. They gave us a brand new van with a few more features without costing us more. We'll I was ok with it at that point! Then we got a 2017 and other than transmission issues (nothing major) it was a good van. Our most recent is the 2021 hybrid, and after 1300 miles it broke down and had to be towed today. Huge inconvenience for me, my wife, daughter, and her friend! I am a very reasonable man, even with the issues we had along the years. As long as the customer service is there and they fix their mistake at no cost to me, I'm happy. Now something out of warranty is a different story. All in all I'm a car guru myself, with many friends in the industry. Every company has certain issues or recalls with their vehicles and as long as they take care of it, your in good hands! Chrysler has been VERY good to us so far, so I'm expecting the same for you!

·
Registered
ON ORDER - 2021 Pacifica Limited AWD, Black/ Red "S" Appearance Package, PSS, 20" Foreshadow Wheels
182 Posts
I had a '17 Pacifica Limited for approximately 41 months and about 16,000 miles and it was wonderful. One of my favorite vehicles. Not every ownership was a sad story. We loved it and ordered a '21 in November of '20. Still waiting to get it but looking forward to it eagerly.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring L (FWD, 8 seats, ICE)
18 Posts
We are on our first Pacifica (gas model) — 2021 Touring L. Loving it — no issues so far, super useful, easy to drive around. Already made a lot of great family memories in the first 1500 miles (trips to Yosemite and Lake Tahoe)...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have had my 2017 PAC touring L+ for almost 4 years. Never been in the shop. Changed AUX battery last month. $120. easy. Still loving it and ordered 2021 PAC HYbrid Touring L+.

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Limited
284 Posts
Seventh Chrysler mini-van. 2020 Hybrid Limited. Ive been pleased with each of the seven and have never had a major (or minor) problem with any of them.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Let me put it to you this way. I bought a 2017 Pacifica Limited, it was one of the worst cars I have ever had from a reliability standpoint. It was in the shop over 25 times and spent well over a month off the road in in the 2.5 years I had it. I swore I would never buy another Chrysler product, out of the 3 I had, 2 were a total disaster and the 3rd one I only had 10 months.

But...after really trying to find a better vehicle we actually got a 2020 Pacifica Limited, my wife insisted as she just didnt like any other vehicle as much. We've had the 2020 since July and have had no issues, its a much better vehicle to drive than the 2017 also, rides better, smoother, feels more solid.

The reality is Chrysler does not have a good track record for reliability, one of the worst in the industry in fact. You're right to be nervous about it. BUT, the Pacifica as a product has improved a lot since it was released, and it certainly seems like a lot of those issues have been worked through, although I picked up a 2020 vs wating for a 2021 to avoid the new infotainment and new AWD systems. It certainly is the nicest of all the minivans available, and the best designed for your plans with it.

If you are really worried about it, you could try and pick up a leftover 2020 instead of going for a 2021 to avoid the new infotainment and AWD. Given my history with Chrysler I wouldnt get a 2021 for those reasons, I would wait for 2022.

Reactions: craig

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
You're welcome. Enjoy your Limited when it comes in. I will be exchanging my very reliable 2018 Limited for a 2021 Limited when my lease expires late summer.

I haven't seen much in the way of complaints on the AWD. Chrysler built a run of them for internal and employee use more than a year ago, and then released the AWD Launch Edition for public sale last year. It appears to be solid.

The new for 2021 radio head apparently does have some software glitches. Chrysler has acknowledged this, and has promised updates soon. The new system has improved ability to receive OTA (over the air) updates, so hopefully it won't take a trip to the dealer. But who knows?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I haven't seen much in the way of complaints on the AWD. Chrysler built a run of them for internal and employee use more than a year ago, and then released the AWD Launch Edition for public sale last year. It appears to be solid.

The new for 2021 radio head apparently does have some software glitches. Chrysler has acknowledged this, and has promised updates soon. The new system has improved ability to receive OTA (over the air) updates, so hopefully it won't take a trip to the dealer. But who knows?
Yeah my main concern was with the infotainment. If you look at the issues with Chrysler and the Pacifica specifically largely the issues are electrical in nature.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica hybrid Limited with Safety package and Theater package
47 Posts
Most serious problems are with the hybrid system so you will probably be fine.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Most serious problems are with the hybrid system so you will probably be fine.
I actually havent seen many hybrid specific issues...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts