2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bulb used for the test
I took pictures at different exposures to better see the brightness and uniformity. The light is bright, but the shape of the beam is questionable. I can't decide if these bulbs will be an improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
So in your pictures the new LED light is reflecting off your garage door and is the one on the left, I'm guessing you replaced the drivers side bulb?

Wow that sure seems bright! This is on your new Limited which has the HID headlights?

Maybe a simple real world test would be to take it to some rural back road or a dark filed and cover one light and see how far or much you can see and then cover the other one to compare.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right, only the driver's side bulb was replaced. I have a Hybrid, so no HIDs. Finding anything completely dark in a suburbia is surprisingly difficult, and it is hard to evaluate the beam pattern and uniformity by looking at a road. Glare is not a problem with high beams, but LEDs are notorious for dark spots. I found that the bulbs can be adjusted by loosening the set screw and rotating the LED board, so it could be possible to achieve a better result.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I put modded 9011 bulbs in my high beams to make sure I didn't end up with dark spots in the high beam reflector housings. I'm happy with their performance.

The "mod" is just a slight trim of one of the plastic tabs with a pair of side cutters.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
94 Posts
You're right, only the driver's side bulb was replaced. I have a Hybrid, so no HIDs. Finding anything completely dark in a suburbia is surprisingly difficult, and it is hard to evaluate the beam pattern and uniformity by looking at a road. Glare is not a problem with high beams, but LEDs are notorious for dark spots. I found that the bulbs can be adjusted by loosening the set screw and rotating the LED board, so it could be possible to achieve a better result.
Ooops sorry I missed that the Hybrid Limited doesn't come with HIDs. Is that because they use more power and they don't want to take away from the battery range? This is the first car I have owned with HIDs and I can believe how bright they are. I'm glad we have the auto dimming as well because without it I'd be getting flashed all the time.

Was the bulb difficult to swap out?

Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip to find a nice dark dead end road that you can do the swap on:surprise:.

·
Registered
267 Posts
All I can say is that it is an improvement, even if not drastic. And it's the safest upgrade in the reflector housing.

Up close on a garage wall is going to be tough to see a difference. Especially with ambient light bouncing around the area. I noted an improvement in driving on unlit 2 lane back-roads at night. It was worth the $20 for the 2 bulbs to me.

LED may claim to be brighter, and may seem brighter with the cooler color temperature, but in that reflector housing I'm still skeptical they can actually perform as well as a halogen.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LED may claim to be brighter, and may seem brighter with the cooler color temperature, but in that reflector housing I'm still skeptical they can actually perform as well as a halogen.
I agree, these LEDs look bright, but their beam is not as wide or even as the factory halogens.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are you returning these bulbs and continuing on the hunt then? I’ve been looking for a decent set of bulbs to upgrade the factory halogens. It doesn’t make too much of a difference living the suburban life, but the other week in the north woods of WI I really noticed how bad they actually are.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got these bulbs for free, no need to return. I'm going to try something else, despite my skepticism. Beam shape aside, the high power LED bulbs emit a lot of heat and are usually throttled down after few minutes of operation reducing the output. Their life expectancy isn't great. There are no easy answers to a good lighting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently swapped out my all my headlight bulbs, doing a full write-up soon. But reference brightness, in the factory projectors the halogens measured 189 lux and Diode Dynamics SL1 leds measured 244 lux.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm curious to see how the bulbs on the higher end of the spectrum perform. If you will do write up, please check the beam shape of the LED vs Halogen and if the LED brightness drops after 15-30 minutes in the headlight with its cover closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts