2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what type of hitch you had installed on your hybrid? I searched posts but many were from years ago. I am just looking to get a bike rack. What bike rack do you use?
~Aud

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
eTrailer.com has a separate version of their Draw-Tite hitch for the hybrid. The "SK" part is an extra adapter for your hybrid.

If you can afford it, the best 2-bike carrier is the Kuat Sherpa 2.0. I have one, and it is superb. It's about 30 lbs which make taking it on and off very easy. It also is very gentle on your bike, as such it is a favorite of those who don't like damaging very expensive bikes. I can take our two bikes off and ready to ride in less than a minute.

As you can see, eTrailer also sells it, as do many retailers and bike shops. REI is one such national retailer.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I use the Thule 5 bike rack on mine . Just use a 2 inch receiver and make sure you measure the hitch location mouth to the edge of the rear fascia . The bike carrier , whichever one you use , has a tongue that inserts into hitch mouth and I may not be able to utilize the rear hatch opening with the bike rack on the hitch , even if the bike rack has the ability to tilt back .

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I use the Thule 5 bike rack on mine . Just use a 2 inch receiver and make sure you measure the hitch location mouth to the edge of the rear fascia . The bike carrier , whichever one you use , has a tongue that inserts into hitch mouth and I may not be able to utilize the rear hatch opening with the bike rack on the hitch , even if the bike rack has the ability to tilt back .
This is not an issue with the Kuat Sherpa if you tilt it. The Yakima Dr. Tray should also allow tilting access to the hatch. Platform racks like these are the easiest to use and safest for bike damage, but hanging racks like your Thule are lighter, and allow for more bikes.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah I need a 4 bike minimum so when I found the Thule 5 and had ability to tilt and allow for opening hatch it was a no brainer , plus I liked the way it looked on back of my grand Cherokee srt8 ...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Swagman makes a nice rack which I’ve seen for just over $100. Mines about 10 years old (at a guess) and it’s travelled the country. The center column tilts so access via the hatchback isn’t an issue. The model I have is wider to accomodate an 8’ recumbent bike. It will handle regular bikes as well, but the ‘standard’ model is probably cheaper.

I have since repainted the rack lol. It has a lot of miles on it.

Reactions: panoguy

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was wondering what type of hitch you had installed on your hybrid? I searched posts but many were from years ago. I am just looking to get a bike rack. What bike rack do you use?
~Aud
Just a heads up, and not to get off topic but towing with the hybrid is a no no from Chrysler. If you get a hitch, I would have a talk with your dealer and get it in writing that a hitch won’t affect your warranty even though it’s “just for bikes.” I’m sure a dealer would take one look at your hitch and decline a repair under warranty.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been researching this also. Can people post pics of what an aftermarket hitch looks like vs the factory mopar one looks like?
I have been looking at the Yakima Swing Daddy also. I know it holds 4 bikes. Anyone have an opinion on this model?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Love the blue colour . A hitch will not negate a warranty repair , if you remove the rack from hitch the dealer will not even know it’s there . Hence the reason I went for the factory look . The vast majority , and I truly mean a high number , of service writers have zero knowledge what comes with and without a hitch from factory . What repair would honestly negate a repair from a trailer hitch ? . That’s why I’ve always said to do the factory look and save yourself possibly a few hmmmm”s . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I have the guy come out to install the hitch today...found out we can't get one installed because of the slant of both our driveway and the street. The installer said there is hardly enough room for the hitch to clear and with any weight in the van it would hit every time. I know I know-drive in at an angle....but its not that easy as we live on a cul-da-sac and the street has a curve to it for drainage. So even at an angle or backing in...it would need to be a perfect combo every time. Not wanting to take that responsibility-we sent him home. Now looking at Back Trunk Carriers or deciding to leave the bikes home...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Swagman shown in photos will carry a tandem, but not recommended by Swagman.

And for PDXmom with the driveway issues. If it's asphalt to asphalt, get a bag or too of instant asphalt to fill the bottom corner - I've seen it done for folks with high $$$ sports cars. Or load/unload the bikes at the street level. Or, look at all the racks - the swagman (photos above) has that lift up curve that might help with scraping the street or driveway.

My dad, with a '56 T-Bird had to approach the driveway at an angle.

None of these may work, good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Swagman shown in photos will carry a tandem, but not recommended by Swagman.

And for PDXmom with the driveway issues. If it's asphalt to asphalt, get a bag or too of instant asphalt to fill the bottom corner - I've seen it done for folks with high $$$ sports cars. Or load/unload the bikes at the street level. Or, look at all the racks - the swagman (photos above) has that lift up curve that might help with scraping the street or driveway.

My dad, with a '56 T-Bird had to approach the driveway at an angle.

None of these may work, good luck.
FWIW, I don’t carry a tandem. The model Swagman I use will carry a LWB recumbent bicycle; which is what I put on it. The bike is aluminum and weighs less than the maximum weight of 35# per bike. I occasionally carry my mid-racer on simultaneously; another sub-35# recumbent.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well I have the guy come out to install the hitch today...found out we can't get one installed because of the slant of both our driveway and the street. The installer said there is hardly enough room for the hitch to clear and with any weight in the van it would hit every time. I know I know-drive in at an angle....but its not that easy as we live on a cul-da-sac and the street has a curve to it for drainage. So even at an angle or backing in...it would need to be a perfect combo every time. Not wanting to take that responsibility-we sent him home. Now looking at Back Trunk Carriers or deciding to leave the bikes home...
any reason you can’t carry the bikes inside? Just curious...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
any reason you can’t carry the bikes inside? Just curious...
We have 5 people in our family...with the Hybrid we use the middle 2 seats and 1 seat in the back. We would take them on vacation with us so we would have other cargo as well...not just bikes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Love the blue colour . A hitch will not negate a warranty repair , if you remove the rack from hitch the dealer will not even know it’s there . Hence the reason I went for the factory look . The vast majority , and I truly mean a high number , of service writers have zero knowledge what comes with and without a hitch from factory . What repair would honestly negate a repair from a trailer hitch ? . That’s why I’ve always said to do the factory look and save yourself possibly a few hmmmm”s . .
Only reason I mentioned it is because I know some inspectors have denied coverage due to a vehicle modification. I’m not saying it will happen or it won’t. I have the lifetime max care on my PacHy and if the transmission gives up or the HV battery goes when it is under coverage, I want them to honor the coverage. It doesn’t matter what the service advisor or the mechanic has to say. If it’s going to need a major repair and it is covered under a extended care contract (mopar or aftermarket) an inspector will be sent out. In my opinion, if it’s not documented, there is a chance.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If it’s a mopar warranty and it’s a major repair , transmissions are not to be rebuilt as they are to be removed and shipped back to corporate . The whole premise about load on battery and transmission failure is nonsense . Put 7 people , luggage , racks on roof ( capability of having 2 with weight ) and the vehicle still has more load than a bike rack . If people are so concerned about warranty then put the oem hitch , lower fascia panel , hitch panel , sensor kick kit relocate and you’ll have nobody going hmmmm .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good morning all.
What type of hitches have people installed on their Pacifica Hybrids? Not the bike racks - the actual hitches?

I have called two local dealers this morning to get a quote for a hitch installation (thought to go with dealer to avoid any future warranty issues) and both have told me my vehicle is not eligible for a hitch to be installed. In both cases they asked for a VIN # to confirm the right part and both said couldn't put a hitch on a Pacifica Hybrid.

Clearly, based on this forum people have installed hitches on their Pacifica Hybrid. So how have people done it and which hitches have they used? I see someone purchased a hitch from e-trailer. Who installed it for you? Is there some issue with my specific vehicle or have other Hybrid owners also had difficulties getting installed at dealers? I have a 2018 Hybrid Limited if that helps.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for their help.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
See my post #2 in this thread. That linked hitch is the one I used except the cited "SK" version comes with the additional parts needed for the hybrid. I used an independent shop near my home that also sells and installs hitches. They did not have access to Draw-Tite, so I ordered it from eTrailer, and they installed it for about $90. I'm sure it will cost more for the hybrid, as there is extra work.

I provided eTrailer's instructions and installation videos to the shop, and they were grateful to have them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts