2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
you can put the factory mopar hitch on as it just takes place of the rear fascia. bumper beam . You will need the kit for sensor kick activation as well as the new lower rear fascia centre piece ( and also the black out piece that goes around fascia to hide lower fascia opening ) . The whole rear fascia has to be removed . When installing the rear van closet panels they will have to be trimmed ( overlay for trimming is included in mopar hitch instructions . ) .

·
Registered
102 Posts
If it’s a mopar warranty and it’s a major repair , transmissions are not to be rebuilt as they are to be removed and shipped back to corporate . The whole premise about load on battery and transmission failure is nonsense . Put 7 people , luggage , racks on roof ( capability of having 2 with weight ) and the vehicle still has more load than a bike rack . If people are so concerned about warranty then put the oem hitch , lower fascia panel , hitch panel , sensor kick kit relocate and you’ll have nobody going hmmmm .
I couldn’t agree with you more in regards that you could put more weight in the van vs what a bike rack would weigh. I’m not denying that an inspector may not notice it especially if it is a factory one. The fact is, Chrysler states no towing with the Hybrid model. If you put a hitch on, you have now modified the vehicle to perform more than it’s capability and that could result in a denied coverage issue if you have a power train failure. You could argue that there is no wiring for a trailer and for them to prove that the vehicle has been misused. I am just stating caution to all with a PacHy. I would like to install a hitch on my PacHy but only if it is documented by the dealer that it is for bike rack use only. If I put one on and they decide not to fix my van under my lifetime coverage or hybrid system coverage based on the fact that it has a hitch. I’m going to need some legal backup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If anyone's interested, here's views of the Mopar factory hitch (where they replace the fascia) on a 2017 PacHy Premium (aka somewhere between a Touring-Plus~Touring-L, so no kick-sensor issues) plus a view of a loaded Kuat NV 2.0 (the extra 2 bike extension is pretty sweet too, although prone to ground clearance issues as with any large hitch rack). Both hitch and the Kuat's been rock solid for us over the last 2.5 years since we had them. Of note: we're a family that came from a Mazda5 with a Thule Helium 3 hitch rack, so this was a pretty significant upgrade for us back in the day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was wondering what type of hitch you had installed on your hybrid? I searched posts but many were from years ago. I am just looking to get a bike rack. What bike rack do you use?
~Aud
I have a 2017 Pac Limited and we needed a hitch for our Kuat NV Base (and extension) rack to carry 3 Pedego electric bikes. It is a 2” insert and I got it installed at a local U-Haul place for about $250 total. Works great.
The Pedego place sells the Kuat rack and suggested the heavier duty 2” model as Pedego bikes are heavy. To be honest as part of a promotion they gave us the rack as a bonus!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Definitely the 2" model for that weight. Which gets me to make a suggestion to anyone lurking this thread.

If you're starting from scratch, definitely get a 2" (NOT 1-1/4") hitch and the corresponding rack in the same size. The steel used to make 1-1/4 inserts on racks simply flexes much more. Some racks are no longer made in the smaller size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2017 Pacifica hybrid and I was interested in figuring out why towing was not allowed. I didn’t want towing, I wanted a trailer hitch for my handicap scooter lift. I went into the transaxle detail and saw that the trans and the engine are not directly coupled like a normal vehicle. The engine and trans are coupled by clutch plates so if any heavy towing was done the clutch plates would slip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
you can put the factory mopar hitch on as it just takes place of the rear fascia. bumper beam . You will need the kit for sensor kick activation as well as the new lower rear fascia centre piece ( and also the black out piece that goes around fascia to hide lower fascia opening ) . The whole rear fascia has to be removed . When installing the rear van closet panels they will have to be trimmed ( overlay for trimming is included in mopar hitch instructions . ) .
Big biz for original equipment, about 2x etrailer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I have the guy come out to install the hitch today...found out we can't get one installed because of the slant of both our driveway and the street. The installer said there is hardly enough room for the hitch to clear and with any weight in the van it would hit every time. I know I know-drive in at an angle....but its not that easy as we live on a cul-da-sac and the street has a curve to it for drainage. So even at an angle or backing in...it would need to be a perfect combo every time. Not wanting to take that responsibility-we sent him home. Now looking at Back Trunk Carriers or deciding to leave the bikes home...
Late to the thread... We had the exact same problem. I installed the OEM hitch and it works for us. I still have to be careful with the driveway if the bike rack is in, but at least I can use it at all. Parts for the OEM hitch are below $400 if you shop around a bit. Installation is a lot of work.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts