2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Dark Blue Pacifica since February, 2017. Recently, I discovered corrosion developing in several areas along the edges of the hood mostly in the front and the front edges. No similar problems elsewhere. I took it into a dealer yesterday and the service manager took pictures to submit to the Chrysler Warranty department. I was told I would have a decision in a few days. He advised that the hood was aluminum and that can have its own set of problems with corrosion. Mileage is 33,000. Anyone have similar experiences?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I have had a Dark Blue Pacifica since February, 2017. Recently, I discovered corrosion developing in several areas along the edges of the hood mostly in the front and the front edges. No similar problems elsewhere. I took it into a dealer yesterday and the service manager took pictures to submit to the Chrysler Warranty department. I was told I would have a decision in a few days. He advised that the hood was aluminum and that can have its own set of problems with corrosion. Mileage is 33,000. Anyone have similar experiences?
There is at least one thread about this. This is a known problem and should be covered under the warranty.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/474-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-issues-problems/21545-paint-issue.html

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited
333 Posts
Its a well documented problem with many Chrysler vehicles using the aluminum hood (not just the Pacifica). Seems they did not figure out the priming and painting system too well. At first they were replacing entire hood, but I think now they are mostly repainting. I guarantee you are not the first to take your car back there for this issue, they should not have been surprised. I have similar issue with mine but did not notify them yet as I am waiting to take it in for the 2 recalls and a couple of other small issues.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Would getting a transparent plastic sheet coating rock chip guard type of thing help? Or is this under the exposed edge?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Would getting a transparent plastic sheet coating rock chip guard type of thing help? Or is this under the exposed edge?
Unfortunately that will not help, the failure is between the metal and the primer, well below the actual surface of the paint and clearcoat.

·
Registered
328 Posts
So is there anything we can do to prevent this? Sounds like it is occurring at the edges. I'm from a salty winter zone, so this worries the crap out of me, but it looks like there are a lot of issues in Florida, so maybe I shouldn't. I'm guessing oiling the car for rustproofing isn't going to help, since the issue is with aluminum not steel corrosion. BTW, so far so good. I don't see any sign of bubbling, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
932 Posts
So is there anything we can do to prevent this? Sounds like it is occurring at the edges. I'm from a salty winter zone, so this worries the crap out of me, but it looks like there are a lot of issues in Florida, so maybe I shouldn't. I'm guessing oiling the car for rustproofing isn't going to help, since the issue is with aluminum not steel corrosion. BTW, so far so good. I don't see any sign of bubbling, fingers crossed.
There is really nothing to do other than keep an eye on that area. Like the others have said, it is well documented and if you see it starting to happen there shouldn't be an issue with the dealership fixing it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I posted this in the other thread as well: Took my 2017 Limited Tusk White in with about 4 bubbles on hood lip. Dealer said covered under warranty and body shop will fix and file for warranty repair; however they will will only fix by sanding/repainting the hood and not hand out a new hood, so its a 3 day job at the body shop with me footing the rental car bill. Body shop guy said he has seen dozens of cars with this problem and not just Pacifica's but other Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Add mine to the list. It is infuriating how Chrysler is so blase about this. $43,000 spent on what is supposed to be a class leader vehicle (with mucho luxury).... and it is bubbling all over the place within 2 years? The factory in Canada has some things to explain to us loyal Chrysler owners.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Add mine to the list. It is infuriating how Chrysler is so blase about this. $43,000 spent on what is supposed to be a class leader vehicle (with mucho luxury).... and it is bubbling all over the place within 2 years? The factory in Canada has some things to explain to us loyal Chrysler owners.
See my answer to you on the thread you initiated.

·
Registered
286 Posts
@amarine1, I don't know if there is a service bulletin on this issue, but it's well known. There is a thread on this site concerning "paint issues", and there are a whole host of comments. I personally experienced this problem and Chrysler replaced and painted a brand new hood on my vehicle back in Sept 2018. As long as you're within 3yrs/36K you'll be fine and perhaps even beyond. FCA is standing behind this. Good luck.

<

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had similar corrosion pop up around the hood seams/edges of my 2017 around the 2-year point. Just got it back from the dealer. They said they followed the Chrysler protocol to assess and repair. It looks good but concerned it will not be a lasting fix. I probably should have waiting longer into the warranty period to get it fixed so I could see all the other areas that were going to corrode. The issue was definitely a factory issue related to manufacturing as the corrosion was clearly developing outward from the base metal at the seam. I'll be anxious to hear from others who had this "fix" done earlier to know if any new corrosion has surfaced.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The body shop at the dealer looked at it over the weekend. They are getting lots of blistered hoods. They told me that FCA will pay to repair the hood but it will not be a permanent solution. Chrysler buys the aluminum hoods from a supplier as a part and paints them at the factory. I'm going to fight this. FCA needs to recall the hoods. I do not see any sense in repainting if the issue will arise again. This is just to buy time. When the corrosion returns the vehicle will be out of warranty and the cost will be on me. I want a new hood that was designed not to rust. Not a temporary fix!!!! I agree with your comment. With the bucks I spent on this vehicle I have high expectations. I could have purchased a nice Lexus or Infinity. Between this and my transmission issue they will not fix I'm considering hiring a lawyer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just discovered bubbling paintwork in several spots on the front edge of the hood on my October 2017 Pacifica - It is now March 2019 and the mileage is around 140,000. What are my options at this stage?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just discovered bubbling paintwork in several spots on the front edge of the hood on my October 2017 Pacifica - It is now March 2019 and the mileage is around 140,000. What are my options at this stage?
Can't say for sure if they'll stand behind it with that sort of mileage, however seeing as it is a common problem I would certainly take it in. The dealership may try to brush you off, but take your complaint directly to FCA and plead your case based on the experiences of others, myself included.

<

·
Registered
932 Posts
Can't say for sure if they'll stand behind it with that sort of mileage, however seeing as it is a common problem I would certainly take it in. The dealership may try to brush you off, but take your complaint directly to FCA and plead your case based on the experiences of others, myself included.

<
This is from the '17 warranty info: 5 years, unlimited milage on exterior panels. But with this well known problem, even after 5 years I would think they would cover the repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
@amarine1, I don't know if there is a service bulletin on this issue, but it's well known. There is a thread on this site concerning "paint issues", and there are a whole host of comments. I personally experienced this problem and Chrysler replaced and painted a brand new hood on my vehicle back in Sept 2018. As long as you're within 3yrs/36K you'll be fine and perhaps even beyond. FCA is standing behind this. Good luck.

<
FCA is NOT standing behind this. The hood of my Pacifica has showed signs of corrosion and the hood was not changed, bt repaired After 11 months from repair, corrosion showed again and FCA is refusing to change the hood, but repaired it again. I am not satisfied with this. If the repaired hood that showed recurrent corrosion is repaired again, it will show corrosion again. Repeating the same mistake doesn't cure the problem, but instead amplifies anxiety and frustration of customers who paid good earned money for junk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had similar corrosion pop up around the hood seams/edges of my 2017 around the 2-year point. Just got it back from the dealer. They said they followed the Chrysler protocol to assess and repair. It looks good but concerned it will not be a lasting fix. I probably should have waiting longer into the warranty period to get it fixed so I could see all the other areas that were going to corrode. The issue was definitely a factory issue related to manufacturing as the corrosion was clearly developing outward from the base metal at the seam. I'll be anxious to hear from others who had this "fix" done earlier to know if any new corrosion has surfaced.

The hood of my Pacifica has showed signs of corrosion and the hood was not changed, but repaired.
After 11 months from repair, corrosion showed again and FCA is refusing to change the hood, but repaired it again.

I am not satisfied with this. If the repaired hood that showed recurrent corrosion is repaired again, it will show corrosion again. Repeating the same mistake doesn't cure the problem, but instead amplifies anxiety and frustration of customers who paid good earned money for junk.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts