2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at a 2017-2018 Limited with Theater or L-Plus but really want the SafetyTec Package. There aren't many of these available so we are looking to have one shipped from out of state. We have never spent so much on a vehicle much less financed so we are feeling especially picky and worried.

Given the list of issues discussed on the forum, would you trust one of these with 40-65k miles that you can't get your eyes on first? If not i suppose we will not be so lucky to get the SafetyTec option as they are nearly impossible to find at our price range locally (23k or under).

Is there a easy way to make sure the model being purchased doesn't have the knocking suspension, stalling engine, rough shifting transmission? Would carfax list a particular maintenance item or a dealer have that information?
(Maybe those issues aren't so prevelant?) Our V8 XC90 has had a long list of high dollar maintenance since 140k miles and I'm curious if i should expect complex expensive maintenance on a Pacifica with under 100K miles or not.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
343 Posts
Personally, I would not be comfortable purchasing a vehicle I had never seen or driven. Think of all the cosmetic items that you cannot inspect. And the test drive would allow you to hear/feel those suspension and engine issues you are questioning.

If you can get the VIN, a dealer should have access to the maintenance history for any work done at a Chrysler dealer. Any work done by other service outlets would not show up anywhere.

One thing to remember when looking at issues listed in the forums....when a few posters note an issue, there are hundreds or thousands of users not having issues. You only hear the bad news. Few come here to say everything is good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I would not be comfortable purchasing a vehicle I had never seen or driven. Think of all the cosmetic items that you cannot inspect. And the test drive would allow you to hear/feel those suspension and engine issues you are questioning.

If you can get the VIN, a dealer should have access to the maintenance history for any work done at a Chrysler dealer. Any work done by other service outlets would not show up anywhere.

One thing to remember when looking at issues listed in the forums....when a few posters note an issue, there are hundreds or thousands of users not having issues. You only hear the bad news. Few come here to say everything is good.
Thank you Peter
I have the same hesitation - When those three little buttons are on the steering wheel my brain goes into "how can i get that one" and reason gets a little lost.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Given the list of issues discussed on the forum, would you trust one of these with 40-65k miles that you can't get your eyes on first? If not i suppose we will not be so lucky to get the SafetyTec option as they are nearly impossible to find at our price range locally (23k or under).
Absolutely not, and I would caution against buying a 2017, I would get as new a Pacifica as you can if you're going to get a Pacifica.

(Maybe those issues aren't so prevelant?) Our V8 XC90 has had a long list of high dollar maintenance since 140k miles and I'm curious if i should expect complex expensive maintenance on a Pacifica with under 100K miles or not.
Its a pretty simple car, so repairs and maintenance will be cheaper than your XC90. You're accustomed to a vehicle that has its problems (the XC90), but like I said before I would get as new a Pacifica as you can and avoid the 2017s. Issue is most of the issues with the Pacifica seem to be electrical In nature which makes diagnosing them hard and potentially very costly out of warranty.

I would caution you to take people who say "people only come here to complain" with a grain of salt. Vehicle reliability is tracked by independent agencies, and the Pacifca and other FCA vehicles are not regarded as super reliable cars. I have also been posting on car forums for the better part of 25 years, and I have found that there is certainly more chatter here and on other FCA forums about issues than you find on forums for competitor's vehicles, and that jibes with the reliability ratings. The preponderance of the evidence is pretty clear.

With that said, they have gotten better with each subsequent year, so like I said get the newest one you can. These are the Consumer Reports Reliability and Owner Satisfaction Ratings and you can see 2017 is the lowest overall year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely not, and I would caution against buying a 2017, I would get as new a Pacifica as you can if you're going to get a Pacifica.
Thanks for your advice. I know the first year of a new car or generation is usually rife with issues. Sounds like maybe the 2018s have much of it corrected. I’ll start looking for one and lurking the odyssey forums. I love the features price and looks of the Pacifica. Same cost in odyssey is older or much higher mileage it seems.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,069 Posts
Thanks for your advice. I know the first year of a new car or generation is usually rife with issues. Sounds like maybe the 2018s have much of it corrected. I’ll start looking for one and lurking the odyssey forums. I love the features price and looks of the Pacifica. Same cost in odyssey is older or much higher mileage it seems.
The 2018 and later have a different touchscreen that includes Android Auto/Apple CarPlay so you can use a phone to get current navigation information. The other optional built in navigation tends to be old and costs $100+ everytime you want it updated with new maps.

I agree with @SWPacLim that a 2018 or later would be better than getting a 2017.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we are at a loss. We had many prospects in 2017 models but the 2018 we struggle to find one with Theater. Apparently the limited without theater used is cheaper than a L Plus

Honda looks boring basically all will have 85-100k and be the 14-16 gen which had no incremental changes.
So we are left with a 2017 Pacifica with all the features we want at about 30-40k
A 2018 limited no thester
Or a 2014 Honda with 100k and a plan to do the traditional Honda maintenance.
Does the Chrysler warranty cover any of the problems discussed or does the dealer tend to have no resolutions?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'd get the 2018 and have a rear seat entertainment system installed before I got the 2017.

The dealer has been a bright spot in my experience. I have a great dealer, and they have never flinched once to fix my issues and have always taken the time to try and help figure them out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As stated, I would skip 2017 and 2018 altogether, no matter how good the pricing might sound. The experiences reported from some members who own 2017 has been atrocious, and others with 2018 have a lot of the same issues. Seems the 2019 model onwards are the Pacificas to get. If you can find a 2020 I would go for a 2020...

G.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks
Unfortunately 19-20 is just out of the price range
We have only driven cash cars until now and simply aren’t willing to take on the depreciation or additional debt
But your words aren’t lost on me. We were totally about to buy a 17 until this thread. And the 18 is slightly more elusive.
the only hope I suspect there may be is that at the mileage we are looking at maybe the original owner best the fixes Out of the dealer by now. That’s definitely a gamble. I just assume if someone bought it new and drove it for 40-50k miles Some of the issues may have manifested and been resolved by then. Of course that’s a BIG assumption

why does the odyssey have to be so seriously boring inside...it’s all so annoying!

·
Registered
194 Posts
You could try a 2018 that is at the very end of the production year... that could potentially help. Also, when the new body style arrives later this year I am certain the 2019 and 2020 will see price reductions... potentially enough to get a new one...

I am 100% with you on the interior styling... and exterior too.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

G.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've got a January 2018 build, and the problems have been minor software glitches. There were some early 2018's built before a December plant shutdown when some engineering changes were applied.

·
Registered
653 Posts
As I mentioned in the other thread, I came back from a trip with three new problems that will require it to go back into the shop again. If you must get a Pacifica, don't get a 2017.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I've lurked some more. Very sadly not going to get a 2017.
We got a little more financing and are looking at 2018s. I wish Odysseys were not so expensive but i also simply do not like them compared to the Pacifica. However I have been looking at Sedona's today and they have a lot of the fun gadgets the Pacifica has but no Stow and Go. We rented a Caravan with SnG which is the whole kicker to us wanting to get a Chrysler. That one feature led us down the rabbit hole and also wanting it to have DVD/rear entertainment...who knew it would be such a rabbit hole.
So - looking at 2018s...trying to understand build dates and what may be safer. I will say looking at consumer reviews and reliability the Kia has no where near the major and frequent drama stories as the Pacifica. Dang it Chrysler why did you have to make the coolest mini-van so crappy?! Otherwise we may settle for a 2019 Touring L with aftermarket DVD (can be had for like 18k with 35-40k miles).

To be continued....

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
343 Posts
I know money always comes into the equation for major purchases like this. My 2018 that I just purchased used in January of 2020 was built in February of 2018. I've had no issues so far, but then again with Covid, I have not been driving much. Only thing I noted is that the brochures for the 2018 Touring L Plus note that the rear Uconnect is included in that package. It is not in my vehicle. So not sure if it came in later in the year, or if the original owner deleted it for some reason. (It was a previous daily rental).

So my suggestion would be to look for the latest build date possible that you can afford. That will get you the latest specs available for that year, and would also get you more factory warranty time.

·
Registered
653 Posts
So what build date is likely better on the 2018s? I don't quite understand unfortunately
Like Peter said, I would get as late a build as you can

And bear in mind with mine, mine is a VERY late build 2017, so you definitely don't want a 2017.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks
We are going to go look at a 2018 L+ with SafetyTec 20k miles today I think. The problem with build dates is getting a dealership to tell you one ahead of time and all of the vans are like 30-60 miles away. (I'm in DFW TX)
So looking at Car-faxes there does seem to be some indication of when it was first purchased or inspected by the original dealer some have been 2017 delivery and some 2018. But without knowing the build date range its hard to know where a particular van falls in that range.

There are a few of the vans where we are going I will see if we can look at a couple. If it has a much later build date but no safety tec I suppose we will go with the later build date. Which is another frustrating thing to have to do! lol. Whatever it takes for my wife not to have the car literally stop in the middle of the highway...

·
Registered
653 Posts
So I would look for 2018 deliveries not 2017 deliveries...

Obviously, this is a fluid thing. I wouldn't skip a feature you want because a van is 2 months newer.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
269 Posts
The 2018 models are head and shoulders less problematic than the 2017. This is to be expected because 2017 is the first year, but even if you forget that and just look at all the posts on this forum, I don't know how anyone could possibly disagree with that. I would advise any potential Pacifica buyer to avoid a 2017 model altogether, but otherwise buy the newest model you can afford. When comparing two models within the same model year, I wouldn't choose one over the other specifically because it has a later build date. There are various recalls and TSBs that affect a select few vans within any given year so doing this is pointless. A 2018 is better than a 2017 because of some manufacturing changes and software updates. To a much lesser degree, a 2019 is better than a 2018, and a 2020 is better than a 2019. For 2018-2020 models though, the vast majority of changes are just software updates.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts