2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where to go with this, but someone on here might be able to get someone's attention at Chrylser Dodge Jeep Fiat, etc.,

My fiance and were looking buying a used SUV or minivan to accommodate our family. We went to the car show in Cleveland and the Pacifica really impressed us. New was not going to be an option so we started looking for used.

We found a very nice 2018 Touring L with 37K miles listed for $20,985.00. Comparatively, any other Pacificas close to that were 3-5 thousand more.

We test drove a week ago today and test drove another vehicle that same night. We came back the next day to test drive a used Town n Country and re-test drive the Pacifica. I had 2011 T&C before and even though the 2016 was a bit more refined, the Pacifica was a much better driving machine.

We then agreed to sit down and talk numbers with the salesman. The previous day we also let them look out our possible trade. So when it came to numbers the Pac had the price as listed, along with some BS paint and fabric protectant ($1300), doc fees, title, and taxes and a fair trade amount.

This is where it get's screwy. On the print out of numbers was the total purchase amount with @ 48 payments with some arbitrary payment amount. I looked at the numbers and said, "what interest rate is being used to calculate that figure"? Saleman says "I don't know". This is the first of SMH moments when it comes to this entire experience. I stated back that someone has to know what number was used, finance manger, sales manager, etc., Salesmand replies, "not my job".

I then decide to crunch numbers myself. I came back with a lower price on the Pac. It was met with an astounding "No" can't move on the price. Was told that this was the absolute lowest they can go. It's been on the lot and they need to move it. It's been reduced already, yadda yadda yadda.

I know the auto business, I understand that money is to be made on various points of the entire transaction and not just sale price of the car, but also residual business from service/warranty work. But any of that fell on deaf ears when it came to the saleman. Once we started negotiating, it was an entirely different saleman and dealership. It was as if we offended someone for asking for a discount. Every answer back was some long diatribe and deflection and revers psychology on us.

Realizing we weren't getting anywhere on the price of PAC, understanding it was a good price, we asked if we could get floor mats and a second keyfob. We also decided to pull out the trade from the deal. We could afford the PAC without the trade and my Fiance and I both have kids that will be driving in the next year. So we decided to keep it.

The saleman asks "So if we throw in a key fob and mats, we have a deal". We said yes and signed the rough draft of the paper work. Saleman goes to ask if he can do that (why in this day an age saleman still need to go behind the curtain and ask permission for some of this stuff is beyond me). 15 minutes later he comes back with another sales sheet.
Starts going through the price of the car, doc, title, and then asks, "What if we gave you $4000.00 on the trade"? My fiance and I looked at each other like "what the ****" we just said no trade. So we said, no trade and what about the keyfob and mats. He said, we can't do that! So 20 minutes later we have our answer. No on the price, no on the fob and no on mats. Okay. So we said, thanks for your time we are moving on. And at this point, we were purely frustrated because we had waisted so much time with the sales person not really listening and not trying to make a deal.

The next day, I decided to call the sales manager. I explained what happened. He seems to be listening and somewhat understanding, but is holding is ground on the price of the car. I said what about the fob and the mats. I told him that when you guys quote me "retail" that's not what you are losing. You're losing your cost on the parts and I would imagine that retail markup is more than likely 40-70% over your cost. Plus the cost of programming is not retail, it is the flat rate that you pay your tech to do it.

He said that he talked to the owner (before calling me back) and the owners said all they could do is $100.00 off the van. He said, fabric floor mats aren't available (which is probably a lie) and all they have are the expensive rubber all weather ones and they couldn't do that either.

The sales manager also said they were losing close to $3000.00 on the sale of the car (which I highly doubt). My fiance and I agreed to that deal. Price as is, keyfob discount $100.00. Since the van is nicely priced, we didn't want to lose it.

Here is where it really gets bad.

The next day, I go online to pull the VIN to get insurance rolling. The dealership discounted the van another $320.00. This is after two days of hearing that they can't move, they are losing money, etc., etc., etc. Let's just say I called and left a message immediately. I was called by another sale person (not the original one) who said they would be honoring the new price. Because I was at work I forgot to ask about the fob.

So you probably know by now, what happened.
We get to the dealership, who had our info, got our financing in line, and they pulled the fob from the deal without saying anything. Let's just say, we were not happy campers. The excuses were that the price was a mistake. And since we are making out better than before, they can't do the fob now. The sales manager was deflecting and gaslighting the entire time trying to make us the guilty ones for not understanding why the keyfob can't be in the deal now.

The dealer can lie to us for two days, we catch them in said lie, and now they are the ones being hostile and argumentative. All we wanted was a second key fob. That's it. The amount of BS coming from the sales manager at this time was absurd!

We almost walked out, and probably should have. If the van wasn't priced so well we would have. We eventually said, just get us to the finance manager and you will never hear or see us again. That's how bad it is. I have never had such an experience before.

I don't know if this goes to anyone at Chryler, but someone, a district representative or someone needs to hold this dealership accountable for their treatment.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'm not sure where to go with this, but someone on here might be able to get someone's attention at Chrylser Dodge Jeep Fiat, etc.,

My fiance and were looking buying a used SUV or minivan to accommodate our family. We went to the car show in Cleveland and the Pacifica really impressed us. New was not going to be an option so we started looking for used.

We found a very nice 2018 Touring L with 37K miles listed for $20,985.00. Comparatively, any other Pacificas close to that were 3-5 thousand more...

... I don't know if this goes to anyone at Chryler, but someone, a district representative or someone needs to hold this dealership accountable for their treatment.
Welcome to the forum.
You could private message @ChryslerCares by clicking on the red letters. I don't know if it will make a difference, but at least you can feel like you tried to do something about the dealer's sales practices.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Chrysler has very limited influence over the dealer. It is an independent business and is heavily protected by state franchise laws.

I am going to disagree that your experience is rant worthy. The dealer is haggling and not making this easy, but hasn’t done anything unethical, let alone worse. They can set the price anywhere they want on any given day. If you don’t like the way they do business, it’s best to walk. From their perspective this is rational. Fewer than 10% of shoppers ever return, even if they have said they want the car. It’s rational for the dealer to assume the sale was lost if the buyer left the dealership without signing papers and leaving a deposit.

That they came back with a better offer for your trade means they really want it. Likely there is money on the table that you can take from them.

BTW, as a consumer it’s best to walk in with your own financing arranged from your bank, credit union, or elsewhere. That way you know the interest rate and the payment per $1000 borrowed. The dealer is going to sell you high interest financing and then sell the loan to make some additional money on the sale. If that happens, you’ve been suckered.

Never shop based on monthly payment. Always negotiate price, and then map that to an known set of monthly payment, interest rate, and loan duration that you can live with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chrysler has very limited influence over the dealer. It is an independent business and is heavily protected by state franchise laws.

I am going to disagree that your experience is rant worthy. The dealer is haggling and not making this easy, but hasn’t done anything unethical, let alone worse. They can set the price anywhere they want on any given day. If you don’t like the way they do business, it’s best to walk. From their perspective this is rational. Fewer than 10% of shoppers ever return, even if they have said they want the car. It’s rational for the dealer to assume the sale was lost if the buyer left the dealership without signing papers and leaving a deposit.

That they came back with a better offer for your trade means they really want it. Likely there is money on the table that you can take from them.

BTW, as a consumer it’s best to walk in with your own financing arranged from your bank, credit union, or elsewhere. That way you know the interest rate and the payment per $1000 borrowed. The dealer is going to sell you high interest financing and then sell the loan to make some additional money on the sale. If that happens, you’ve been suckered.

Never shop based on monthly payment. Always negotiate price, and then map that to an known set of monthly payment, interest rate, and loan duration that you can live with.
Thanks for the heads up, we knew what we can get financing and showed them our credit and what was to be expected (we are both 793 and 743). For some reason, that is something they didn't dick around with.
I'm also very familiar with the whole buying process. That's why I asked where they were coming from when they initially showed us some random monthly payment based on some fictitious number.

I guess it must be okay though to be lied to for two days. To be told we can't move on the vehicle for them to drop the price on the day we get it delivered. Yes, we actually did make out better. But I guess it's okay to be lied too regardless of the outcome. And then to lie over pricing of key fobs, floor mats, and everything else. That must be okay too. The dealer got caught. They became hostile and treated us as second class buyers.

And I guarantee you that if we hadn't caught the price drop we would have bought at the original price. You think they would have dropped it without us asking? Let's not give them too much credit.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This seems silly to me. The dealer wants everything they can get, as do you. There’s no lie in saying that they can’t go lower—that’s just negotiation. You admit you didn’t ask for the FOB when you did the second negotiation. You were under no obligation to buy. You entered into the deal willingly and came out with what you feel was a great price for the van. What’s the problem?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
This is why I hate buying used cars from dealerships. They lie and cheat and do everything up their sleeve to trick you into parting with your money. But that’s their business, you have to be aware and be prepared to walk away if you smell anything wrong. You have to double check every single thing before you sign. Don’t take their word or promises for anything. Get everything in writing on your invoice. To me what the OP posted sounds like a regular used car transaction to me. Yes some dealerships are better than others, but taking a bigger slice of your money matters to the sales guy and his manager. So that is what they are trained to do.
Sometimes I feel that buying Tesla is the only way of future. No haggling here and you don’t pay a price which is significantly more than what your neighbor paid for the same car. Yes the cars are expensive, but at least you won’t feel cheated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
OP ... ditto. I just spent a week negotiating with dealers across CA, AZ and NV. Before this unit I had always worked with the fleet sales manager. What a difference between having the privilege to work with fleet vs. being just a regular Joe trying to buy a car at a fair price through the front door. The way many of them do business is downright horrible. Some are advertising vehicles at rock bottom prices that they haven't had on their lots for a LONG time. It's just to get you to drive in. It really sucks to slog through hours of SoCal traffic to find empty promises and that you have been lied to. Then they try to sell you something else for 10k over the advertised deal you spent your time and gas money chasing. They even had the audicity to say this replacement vehicle priced well over MSRP is a good deal! It's a shame. Luckily I found an honest person at Crystal Chrysler, but it wasn't easy to sift through who is being straight up and who is playing games. Lots of these salespeople started two weeks before, know nothing, have no authority to promise anything, and are being screwed as well by the dealer they work for. It's sad. But that's the business these days, dealers screwing us, and us trying to screw them. Wish the word "transparency" was in everyone's vocabulary, customers included, because bad customers make dealers suspicious of everyone. Crappy people ruin the experience for good people on both sides of the table.

Have you noticed the exponential number of "managers" at dealerships these days? Yet these "managers" often have no ability to negotiate, they have to to ask another "manager". And what about the appointment setters? They play like they are a salesperson but they aren't. Their goal is to get you to make an appointment at all costs, they don't care one bit that they are talking out of both sides of their mouths. They don't care that you are driving 100 miles. Shameful. I say let the actual dealer owner know customers don't appreciate being lied to.

·
Super Moderator
643 Posts
Dealers suck. You should of walked. It's best to put this experience behind you and just enjoy your new to you can. Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i went thru something similar. found a used pacifica that was perfect for us and the only one i could find for months. went out to the chrysler dealer and got a nice salesman who didn't know a thing about the car. i had to tell him about the issues with the hood paint ( it need it) and the trans being flashed (already had been done 3 times according to carfax) along with other things. the car had been advertised for a while on three of four sites at X price as a cpo. so salesman and i work out all the numbers everything is good he just has to get approval. i see him walking back with an oh **** look on his face, manager says that the advertised price was incorrect. and it wasn't priced to high, they had not added on the cpo pricing of $1850.00. so the dance starts of me showing the salesman the ads and he agreeing and all apologetic, but the new number was the number. i ended up getting half off that and a repainted rear bumper and 3 oil change coupons. never again, never again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
9 Participants
rjdjr01
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing