2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I just did a road trip to the Carolina’s with 4 people and 2 Thule racks up top . I didn’t plug in , averaged 65-70 mph on interstate and was getting 32 mpg . Your going to get about 35 tops depending on a ton of factors . So I don’t know where your thinking that “40mpg” is coming from , a 5100 lb vehicle this size that seats up to 8 is non existent in industry today .

·
Registered
481 Posts
So I rented a 2021 hybrid in Boise this weekend. After two days of driving my average was 28 mpg, mostly highway. I expected 40. Were my expectations too high?
Definitely too high.

The hybrid is only rated for 30/30 MPG city/highway. It is a V6 engine.

Even the 4 cylinder Sienna hybrid only gets 35 mpg. And that engine whines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2020 voyager and a 2018 pac. Both gas and both 28mpg on the highway easily. 30+ if I cruise at 62
Interesting. So the only thing the hybrid brings to the table is the ability to go 35 miles on pure electric. I assume you can set it to use pure electric until depleted? My rental did not do that but I didnt get into the software settings.

·
Registered
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
7 Posts
It should only use electric if the battery has juice, unless it is in FORM or you accelerate hard or go after 80 or so. If you weren’t charging it though, you never really would have seen it drive on the electric motor much.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
296 Posts
It should have done better than 28mpg. How did you calculate that?

Ours does a minimum of about 32 hwy even fully loaded. If there is much of any stop and go/city/or even rolling hills where it can re-generate, it does better still.

What do you mean yours did not use pure electric until depleted? It probably wasn't charged as a rental, but the only operating mode is to use all electric until depeleted or until you request more than 50% power or, below ~40F a large amount of cabin heat is requested.

That 'only 35 miles' of electric is plenty for most people's daily driving. We average about 50 miles per day almost entirely electric - and about 80% of our 20k of mileage in the first year has been electric. In short trips/city driving where your Subaru would be doing 18mpg, our Pacifica gets 60mpge or better.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I just completed a 2800 mile road trip in my 21 PacHy Limited. We were not able to plug in on the trip. We averaged 30.4 according to the guessometer. We drove 70-80 MPH and used cruise control most of the time.
Now that we are back home, I’m doing short, neighborhood drives. At $5.00 + for gas here, I’m happy to drive on electric again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It should have done better than 28mpg. How did you calculate that?

Ours does a minimum of about 32 hwy even fully loaded. If there is much of any stop and go/city/or even rolling hills where it can re-generate, it does better still.

What do you mean yours did not use pure electric until depleted? It probably wasn't charged as a rental, but the only operating mode is to use all electric until depeleted or until you request more than 50% power or, below ~40F a large amount of cabin heat is requested.

That 'only 35 miles' of electric is plenty for most people's daily driving. We average about 50 miles per day almost entirely electric - and about 80% of our 20k of mileage in the first year has been electric. In short trips/city driving where your Subaru would be doing 18mpg, our Pacifica gets 60mpge or better.
So I did not calculate mpg manually. 28.2 was what the Pacifica said as avg mpg when I returned it to the rental. I had reset the computer when I picked up the car. I agree that 35 miles of pure electric would last most people all day in an urban setting. That’s why we are thinking of getting a Pacifica Hybrid. We loved the rental. With lots of tech and the stow ang go seats we were impressed.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
296 Posts
So I did not calculate mpg manually. 28.2 was what the Pacifica said as avg mpg when I returned it to the rental. I had reset the computer when I picked up the car. I agree that 35 miles of pure electric would last most people all day in an urban setting. That’s why we are thinking of getting a Pacifica Hybrid. We loved the rental. With lots of tech and the stow ang go seats we were impressed.
The computer calculations use a rather short rolling window (even on the trip displays) - they aren't the actual average MPG over that number of miles - they are heavily weighted towards whatever your most recent 50 miles of driving has done.

That said, 28mpg is lower than we have ever seen except when our electric coolant heater had failed and it was forced to drive in pure ICE mode for a month waiting for the part. Even with 5 people, 4 bikes on the hitch, and a full width roof box we still see ~32mpg on the low end.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I would do some research on bev , phev and hev before considering what’s right for you . Also look at the powertrain and how it works , regen , charging before just assuming it will save you a lot of unnecessary headaches down the road .

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring AWD Velvet Red "S"
385 Posts
I just got 34.5 on a 2 lane road at 55, for about a half hour of driving.
Dropped to 30.5 at 70 for the remainder of the 1.5 hour trip.
Plain old Pentastar engine!! AWD too.
I noticed a few times that I was turning 1,500 rpms at 70 on flat parts of the trip.

·
Banned
2020 Voyager LXi 2018 Pacifica Touring Plus
85 Posts
I just got 34.5 on a 2 lane road at 55, for about a half hour of driving.
Dropped to 30.5 at 70 for the remainder of the 1.5 hour trip.
Plain old Pentastar engine!! AWD too.
I noticed a few times that I was turning 1,500 rpms at 70 on flat parts of the trip.
And The best part is you don’t have to worry about Your vehicle just dying on the side of the road or spontaneously combusting and burning the batteries in it

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
And The best part is you don’t have to worry about Your vehicle just dying on the side of the road or spontaneously combusting and burning the batteries in it
Gotta love it when you read a response and it’s all in lower case and capitals , and yes no ice vehicles have ever died or ignited in history. Wonder where all the tow trucks are taking those vehicles , hmmm, not only is your grammar misaligned but your cerebral impulses are a tad misguided .

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I rented a 2021 hybrid in Boise this weekend. After two days of driving my average was 28 mpg, mostly highway. I expected 40. Were my expectations too high?
The MPG of all cars depends on the speed at which the car is driven, but more so with hybrid cars. This is because the wind drag force is proportional to the squared of the can speed, as opposed to the linear speed.

If the wind drag is the main force that the car must overcome, here is the calculated Pacifica mpg vs mph in its hybrid mode; and my 2020 Pacifica hybrid closely follows the number on relatively flat highways (e.g. from Maryland to Florida along the I-95). So if your 28 mpg is from driving at around 70 mph, it is right inline with my experience.

On mountainous highways (e.g. from Maryland through Pennsylvania) the overall mpg is lower because the Pacifica hybrid is quite heavy at over 5,000lb, the engine must work extra hard (and burn extra fuel) uphill; downhill coasting does not quite offset the extra fuel burned on uphill as we typically need to apply brakes to comply with the speed limits.

Font Material property Number Pattern Parallel
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
221 Posts
Gotta love it when you read a response and it’s all in lower case and capitals , and yes no ice vehicles have ever died or ignited in history. Wonder where all the tow trucks are taking those vehicles , hmmm, not only is your grammar misaligned but your cerebral impulses are a tad misguided .
Your ability to get insanely and inappropriately defensive over the PACHY is quite astounding.

·
Registered
2022 PacHy Ltd
648 Posts
The hybrid doesn't have stow and go seating. If your rental did then are you sure it was a hybrid?
it does for the 3rd row

1 - 20 of 50 Posts