2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have intermittent smell that just happens when it rains out . Been to the dealer twice for this and they can't find the issue .
Also the atuomatic shut off light comes on the dashboard every once in a while and the car will not shut off when your at a light , same thing the dealer can't fined anything wrong

·
Registered
468 Posts
We have intermittent smell that just happens when it rains out . Been to the dealer twice for this and they can't find the issue .
Also the atuomatic shut off light comes on the dashboard every once in a while and the car will not shut off when your at a light , same thing the dealer can't fined anything wrong
This would be a good starting point regarding the smell after the rain as for the ESS, its just something that seems to plague the new pacificas
Water leak through hatchback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2017 Pacifica with the weirdest smell! We noticed it after it got cold and we used the heat for a few weeks. One day it just started smelling terrible. Not rotten or sulfur or mold-mildew or syrupy. Just a weird gross smell! It reminds me of what a reptile would smell like. So we changed the cabin a/c filter and tried the Lysol trick with no luck. Then we tried the odor bomb and that didn’t work. I have an immunocompromised toddler and I am scared to turn the a/c system on until it’s fixed. The dealership isn’t helpful, they told me to get a deep clean in the interior. I am a completely annoyed and frustrated! Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to get rid of it?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
2017 Pacifica with the weirdest smell! We noticed it after it got cold and we used the heat for a few weeks. One day it just started smelling terrible. Not rotten or sulfur or mold-mildew or syrupy. Just a weird gross smell! It reminds me of what a reptile would smell like. So we changed the cabin a/c filter and tried the Lysol trick with no luck. Then we tried the odor bomb and that didn’t work. I have an immunocompromised toddler and I am scared to turn the a/c system on until it’s fixed. The dealership isn’t helpful, they told me to get a deep clean in the interior. I am a completely annoyed and frustrated! Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to get rid of it?
Maybe someone could check to see if a small creature crawled near the engine and died if it smells that bad. (I've read about small animals chewing on wiring in vans.) Sipper cups with spoiled milk can smell pretty bad after awhile too. Double check to see if food fell under a seat or in a door pocket.

I don't know that it is the same smell, but Post #38 of the link below has the Star Case number that I gave the dealer when my van had a slightly musty smell. I don't know if that is supposed to be specific to my van or the problem. You can message @ChryslerCares (by clicking on their name to private message them with your VIN) to see if you need a new Star Case number or if you can use that number.

In the meantime, coffee grounds (from the can in a shallow pan) might help get rid of the smell in the van until the problem gets solved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe someone could check to see if a small creature crawled near the engine and died if it smells that bad. (I've read about small animals chewing on wiring in vans.) Sipper cups with spoiled milk can smell pretty bad after awhile too. Double check to see if food fell under a seat or in a door pocket.

I don't know that it is the same smell, but Post #38 of the link below has the Star Case number that I gave the dealer when my van had a slightly musty smell. I don't know if that is supposed to be specific to my van or the problem. You can message @ChryslerCares (by clicking on their name to private message them with your VIN) to see if you need a new Star Case number or if you can use that number.

In the meantime, coffee grounds (from the can in a shallow pan) might help get rid of the smell in the van until the problem gets solved.
We’ve checked for all of that, even replaced the kids car seats and had a professional deep interior clean. None of that resolved the issue, it is solely coming from the vents. We checked the for rodents and found nothing, but I’m taking it back in tomorrow in hopes they can figure it out. But I will definitely be referencing the post/case you provided. Thank you!

·
Registered
842 Posts
No, I don't, but it would be sort of a chore, beyond looking really well in the interior of the system that is accessible via the cabin filter opening. Might be worth it to rule that area out by removing the filter again and looking in there with a good light and a small mirror.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
We’ve checked for all of that, even replaced the kids car seats and had a professional deep interior clean. None of that resolved the issue, it is solely coming from the vents. We checked the for rodents and found nothing, but I’m taking it back in tomorrow in hopes they can figure it out. But I will definitely be referencing the post/case you provided. Thank you!
Hi Vlassi99,

Please feel free to check your private messages as we were able to respond!

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Hi K G,

We certainly regret to hear this! If you are unable to receive more feedback from here, we do recommend following up with us privately with more details regarding your model year and current mileage.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
468 Posts
The smell comes from air ducts
could be a rat/mice nest - happened to my ford ranger once because the stupid neighbors didn't believe in throwing old food in the trash when they could just throw it into the yard for the squirrels.... and mice, racoons, possums, ect.... Pretty much ruined the truck. I bleached down the coils, the fan, even bleach into the blower intake while it was running to mist it thru the vents but it never fully went away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have the same smell every winter ( only after it rains ) , smells like an old shoe ! for about 10 to 20 minutes. Been to the dealer a couple times , paid $ 250.00 to clean the system the first time ( witch was bull S# ) it still smelled after that. The last time it was there they still said they don't know what is causing it. We are in the process to bring it in again, they said they have someone that they want to look at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
could be a rat/mice nest - happened to my ford ranger once because the stupid neighbors didn't believe in throwing old food in the trash when they could just throw it into the yard for the squirrels.... and mice, racoons, possums, ect.... Pretty much ruined the truck. I bleached down the coils, the fan, even bleach into the blower intake while it was running to mist it thru the vents but it never fully went away.
Car is in the garage when home , only happens when it rains out

·
Registered
468 Posts
NUMBER: 08-133-18 GROUP: 08 - Electrical
DATE: October 12, 2018
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of FCA US LLC.
SUBJECT:
Water Intrusion in Dash to Front Fascia In-Line Connector
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves rework on the dash wire harness in the left front wheel well and possible front fascia wiring harness replacement due to water intrusion.
MODELS:
2018 (RU) Chrysler Pacifica
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after January 1, 2018 (MDH 0101XX) and on or before June 14, 2018 (MDH 0614XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe the front fog lamps flicker or experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
• U11E9 - Lost Communication With AGS.
• P1D73 – AGS Performance.
• P0073 – Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all related systems are functioning as designed. If Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) or symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues
on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above or if the technician finds the DTCs, perform the Repair Procedure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NUMBER: 08-133-18 GROUP: 08 - Electrical
DATE: October 12, 2018
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of FCA US LLC.
SUBJECT:
Water Intrusion in Dash to Front Fascia In-Line Connector
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves rework on the dash wire harness in the left front wheel well and possible front fascia wiring harness replacement due to water intrusion.
MODELS:
2018 (RU) Chrysler Pacifica
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after January 1, 2018 (MDH 0101XX) and on or before June 14, 2018 (MDH 0614XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe the front fog lamps flicker or experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
• U11E9 - Lost Communication With AGS.
• P1D73 – AGS Performance.
• P0073 – Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all related systems are functioning as designed. If Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) or symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues
on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above or if the technician finds the DTCs, perform the Repair Procedure.
we have a 2017

·
Registered
468 Posts
Okay. Well I'm done

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a used 2017 Pacifica and it also has a funky smell, kind of like how a person who hasn't showered in weeks might smell. I have room air fresheners with the scented beads from Target on the floor in the front and one in the trunk side storage. Some days the smell is worse than others. What could it be? Following this thread!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts