2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual states that the car will auto turn off after one hour of being kept in 'run' mode (I think that is what it is called). It says while in 'ACC' mode only certain accessories are available. Since the pacifica has a battery that is around 12x that of the prius, will it run heat/ac and charge electronics while in ACC mode, since in run mode it will timeout? Then the engine will turn on periodically to recharge the battery, like the prius? Hope this makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
1,936 Posts
The engine will never turn on unless the van is in the Run mode. The Run mode will also time out. If you're thinking about sleeping in the van, get a warm sleeping bag.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Then the engine will turn on periodically to recharge the battery, like the prius?
That won't happen. When in storage, the PacHy will wake up and charge the 12V battery from the HV battery every 21 days, but with the current programming you will not be able to indefinitely run climate controls. You can do it in 1 hour segments, but not overnight. The ICE will not run unless the PacHy is in RUN mode.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm interested in this, too. I just bought a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid to use for road trips and camping (as well as daily driving).

I would *love* to be able to book a campsite with electrical hookups (an RV NEMA 14-50 outlet), plug in a 240v charger, and run climate all night without the engine coming on and disturbing my neighbors.

There's one problem - if I plug in the van, turn it on, and leave it in park, climate works but the car turns off after an hour. It mentions this behavior in the manual specifically as the "automatic shutdown feature".

Does anyone know a way to disable this, the way features like the headlights turning off can be disabled temporarily? The PacHy is *almost* the ultimate road trip vehicle in addition to a great daily driver, except for the timeout. :/

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The only hack that comes to mind would be to leave it in gear with the parking brake set. I think I would feel a little bit uneasy about doing that. Maybe you could chock it or park it up against an unmovable object. I don't believe the transmission is "engaged" when the parking brake is set - in other words, even if the parking brake failed I don't think it would try to drive away, because I believe the command to set the brake also disables the transmission, but I nonetheless find that solution to be less than ideal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I experimented a bit.

- If the van is unplugged and left on and in Neutral with the parking brake on, the car doesn't turn off after an hour.
- If you try to disengage the parking brake, the brake stays on and the dash tells you that you have to press the brake pedal.
- The pedestrian warning whine sound is always on while in Run+Neutral. :/
- If you plug in to charge while in Neutral, the van changes to Park (with timeout again)
- On battery, it looks like it'll last ~7 hours at most running the heater.

So, N+Brake does work, but with downsides.

I've built a Lego Mindstorms robot to press the Start button twice every hour for now and will try that until I come up with something more elegant. =)

Also, not sure if this will help anyone, but the van will always run the engine when in Run mode if the hood is popped open (apparently so it doesn't start the engine while you're mucking around in there). You can cooerce your PacHy to charge itself using gas by turning it on and then popping the hood. It looks like the engine idle charges at about 7kw, so in about 2 hours.

-Scott

·
Registered
12 Posts
**** no!

i M at the same boat which i try to use it as hotel pacifica too.

may be you can do some trick to make uconnect app to remote start the van every hour?..

I'm interested in this, too. I just bought a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid to use for road trips and camping (as well as daily driving).

I would *love* to be able to book a campsite with electrical hookups (an RV NEMA 14-50 outlet), plug in a 240v charger, and run climate all night without the engine coming on and disturbing my neighbors.

There's one problem - if I plug in the van, turn it on, and leave it in park, climate works but the car turns off after an hour. It mentions this behavior in the manual specifically as the "automatic shutdown feature".

Does anyone know a way to disable this, the way features like the headlights turning off can be disabled temporarily? The PacHy is *almost* the ultimate road trip vehicle in addition to a great daily driver, except for the timeout. :/
Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
The manual states that the car will auto turn off after one hour of being kept in 'run' mode (I think that is what it is called). It says while in 'ACC' mode only certain accessories are available. Since the pacifica has a battery that is around 12x that of the prius, will it run heat/ac and charge electronics while in ACC mode, since in run mode it will timeout? Then the engine will turn on periodically to recharge the battery, like the prius? Hope this makes sense.

One of the reason why l did not buy the hybrid. You wont find anything like the Prius. During the last hurricane l slept in my Prius with AC on for a week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My wife and I dug in and figured it out. We built a small circuit and have a Raspberry Pi turn the car off and on again every 28 minutes during the night, so that climate runs continuously while plugged in. I'm happy to provide details to anyone interested.

The short version is that there's a wiring harness plugged into the back of the Start Button assembly. If you connect the white (12v) and purple (button signal) wires while the Start Button assembly is plugged in, it acts just like pressing the button, switching the car from Off to Acc to Run if the key is close by.

We built a circuit with a transistor and relay to allow a Raspberry Pi to control it. The Pi is powered by the USB plug in the floor, which can be switched to be always powered by moving a fuse position in the fuse box, F95. See the post "Are the USB Charging ports 2.5amp Fast Charging?"

Once all connected, it works great. =) 66F with good airflow all night, and it takes us less than 10 minutes to set the van up for sleeping - much less than pitching a tent or getting checked in and settled at a hotel. We have several camping trips planned for more in-depth testing. We're really excited about this for "along the way" stops on road trips.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Scott, I'm impressed!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Very clever hack. Simple and elegant! Did you just crimp on a short harness that you can plug your relay into?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very clever hack. Simple and elegant! Did you just crimp on a short harness that you can plug your relay into?
We got a cable with a barrel connector (like a laptop power cable) to connect to our circuit. On the car side, we just stuck the two wires into the existing harness with the real ones and wrapped electrical tape around, so it's fully removable. I don't know where we can get the harness parts to make ours plug in nicely, but would like to do that rather than solder the cable onto the real harness permanently.

I'll write it up and post some pictures soon, in case others would like to make the same thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Scott

I would be interested in more details regarding the use of the Raspberry Pi. Have you camped overnight with your Pacific Hybrid yet? I believe the AC could run one night on a full battery not plugged in? I think it probably could run all night using the OEM 120V charger and not use much of the traction battery capacity? Using a level 2 [email protected] charger, it should run all night and not use any of the 16kw battery capacity.

Any info and update would be greatly appreciated!!
Regards, Ron

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wife and I dug in and figured it out. We built a small circuit and have a Raspberry Pi turn the car off and on again every 28 minutes during the night, so that climate runs continuously while plugged in. I'm happy to provide details to anyone interested.

The short version is that there's a wiring harness plugged into the back of the Start Button assembly. If you connect the white (12v) and purple (button signal) wires while the Start Button assembly is plugged in, it acts just like pressing the button, switching the car from Off to Acc to Run if the key is close by.

We built a circuit with a transistor and relay to allow a Raspberry Pi to control it. The Pi is powered by the USB plug in the floor, which can be switched to be always powered by moving a fuse position in the fuse box, F95. See the post "Are the USB Charging ports 2.5amp Fast Charging?"

Once all connected, it works great. =) 66F with good airflow all night, and it takes us less than 10 minutes to set the van up for sleeping - much less than pitching a tent or getting checked in and settled at a hotel. We have several camping trips planned for more in-depth testing. We're really excited about this for "along the way" stops on road trips.

-Scott

This is amazing. Well done.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Amazing! You should build, market, offer instructions and sell it. May be a small market, but still very very cool!
Etsy for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks, all. I'm on a road trip in the Pacifica now but I'll post the details on the circuit and Pi programming when I get home.

I've done a fair amount of testing now. When plugged in at 110v with the included charger, the Pacifica can run the fan but not A/C and maintain a charge level. However, if you plug it in a few hours before going to sleep, it can charge enough to keep the A/C on overnight without the engine, slowly using up battery.

It looks like around a 40% charge is enough to run fan only unplugged all night, so when camping unplugged I turn the car on and pop the hood to force it to self charge to 40% before campground quiet hours, which takes about 40 minutes. We made mosquito mesh panels to put over the windows and got a USB powered fan to handle more moderate temperatures without having to have the car on during the night.

Unplugged and running A/C, I don't think it'll quite last the night even starting 100% charged, and of course the real power usage depends on the temperature difference you want compared to outside. I have yet to sleep in it in cold conditions to measure power use of the heater.

Plugged in at 220v with the included charger and Etsy adapter, it seems to easily keep up with A/C, and I really like camping with 30 electric miles to drive each day. We also slept in the car at home one night when it was really hot out, since we don't have A/C in our house. =)

My wife and I made a bed platform for ourselves and two for our kids (they sleep across the front two rows) and we're more comfortable in the van than a tent, and it takes less than 20 minutes to set up each night. I'll post some pictures of that part of the setup, too, when I get home.

The next thing we're thinking about is getting a large inverter connected to the 12v battery (another thread here described it) so that we could camp using electric devices (electric kettle and induction cooktop) even in unpowered campsites. This would let us camp using gas as our only fuel, which would be nice. It also appears that the Pacifica is an extremely efficient generator, though it's hard to be sure exactly how much gas a full self charge requires because I'm not sure I'm filling the tank back to exactly the same level each time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts