2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a Touring L Plus and it comes with the 13 Alpine speakers. How are they? Usually good speakers.:laugh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Idk but mine are bad in the touring L...either the speakers or something else is screwed up. It's being looked at today. I'm sure the 13 speaker one is better.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a regular touring and I find the stereo excellent compared to my Honda and Volvo. I don't even think I have 13 spkrs and I love it. Maybe because I'm used to mediocre Honda with so called "360 Watt premium" sound and OK Volvo stereo.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the 13 Alpine speaker in my Touring L. To me, it's the best factory stereo I've ever had in a car. It was one on the must have options for me when buying the Touring L

·
Registered
245 Posts
One issue i noticed with the 6 speaker system in the Touring-L I rented is that there's no speakers behind the 2nd row. So people in the row can only hear sound from in front of them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow, I never noticed that but, you are right. The documentation I have shows the following for the 3 different sound systems:

The all-new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica offers three audiophile-quality audio systems to immerse passengers in the
ultimate audio experience:

Six-speaker system with Active Noise Control (standard on LX, Touring, Touring-L and Hybrid Premium):
Two 3.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel
Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the front doors
Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the rear doors
Four Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) microphones

Alpine 506-watt, 12-channel, 13-speaker system (available on Touring-L; standard on Touring-L Plus, Limited and
Hybrid Platinum):
Three 3.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel
Two 3.5-inch speakers located in the rear doors
Two 3.5-inch speakers located in the rear quarter panel (cargo area)
Two 6x9-inch liftgate speakers

Harman Kardon premium 12-channel, 20-speaker system (available on Touring-L Plus and Limited):
Three 3.5-inch and 1-inch speakers located in the instrument panel
Two 3.5-inch and 1-inch speakers located in the rear door
Two 3.5-inch and 1-inch speakers located in the rear quarter panel (cargo area)
Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the front door
Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the rear door
One 12-channel class-D amplifier

Reactions: dotbot

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wow, I never noticed that but, you are right. The documentation I have shows the following for the 3 different sound systems:

The all-new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica offers three audiophile-quality audio systems to immerse passengers in the

Six-speaker system with Active Noise Control (standard on LX, Touring, Touring-L and Hybrid Premium):

Alpine 506-watt, 12-channel, 13-speaker system (available on Touring-L; standard on Touring-L Plus, Limited and
Hybrid Platinum):

Harman Kardon premium 12-channel, 20-speaker system (available on Touring-L Plus and Limited):
So has anyone figured out how to add a sub to this yet? I'm guessing we could splice off of the rear 6x9's for liftgate. I mean, not like my kids would appreciate it or anything, but these things matter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The easy way would be to disconnect the liftgate 6x9s and connect a passive sub with speaker level crossover.

The better way would be to run line level to an amp with crossover and run speaker level from there to sub.

Spare tire holder is probably best place for sub, you can carry spare in stow-n-go

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the 13 Alpine speaker in my Touring L. To me, it's the best factory stereo I've ever had in a car. It was one on the must have options for me when buying the Touring L
What he said. :grin2: The Alpine 13 speaker system in my Touring L Plus sounds great! Even my wife, who usually ignores such things, commented on how good the stereo system in my Pacifica sounds.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Hybrid Platinum):

Does the Harmon Kardon system not come with active noise cancellation (ANC)?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You would think so... and the Alpine..

·
Registered
76 Posts
We have the 13 speakers system...Couldnt justify the $1000 for the 20 speaker system. Based off part lists, the amp between the two is the same. I'm planning on switching out the 3.5" stock drivers for 3.5" coaxial speakers to get the dedicated tweeters. $200 for 3 pairs of Infinity Reference 3.5" beats $1000 for the upgrade

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does the Harmon Kardon system not come with active noise cancellation (ANC)?

It does.

If you look at these 2 links:
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Speakers, Audio
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Speakers, Audio

The first is the RC3 system (Alpine)
The second is the RGE system (Harmon Kardon)

From the part numbers, it seems the Noise Cancellation microphone is wired into the amplifier. The way noise cancellation works (same with Bose, Beats, etc.) is there is a microphone listening to the ambient sound and the speakers/drivers send the reverse waveform to the listener cancelling the ambient noise waveform. Its probably worth googling/youtubing. I saw somewhere that the noise cancellation 'output" is directed to the 6x9 speakers.

From what I can tell, the main difference between the Alpine and Harmon Kardon systems (besides brand) is the use of composite speakers for the 3.5" instead of simple single driver. Composite speakers have a built in crossover to direct mid/low tones to the driver and high tones to the tweeter. There should be no other components that need to be changed out except the speakers themselves.

Reactions: Bond007 and gory

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have Limited with HK 20-speaker. I only see 4 mics in the roofliner. Would they put them anywhere else?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Under the rear view mirror?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Can someone tell me if these speakers (in any of the three systems) can be independently switched on or off. I mean in case there is a baby sleeping in the second row and others are watching movie from third row, can the second row speakers be turned off / muted independently? Thanks.

Reactions: coppee

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have Limited with HK 20-speaker. I only see 4 mics in the roofliner. Would they put them anywhere else?

According to https://www.chrysler.com/assets/pdf/brochures/eBrochure-ChryslerPacifica.pdf

On page 18 it shows 6 ANC components in the limited KH speaker configuration. Maybe I misunderstood and it has 4 mics but 6 speakers where it plays the ANC? Now I'm not sure

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ok... also found this in an engineering PDF.

"Active Noise Cancellation

Standard across the lineup, Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) technology further heightens the Chrysler Pacifica’s refinement factor during a comfortable daily commute or an extended road trip with family and friends.

Using the vehicle audio system and four (4) strategically located microphones, it automatically introduces sound to the cabin to deflect unwanted sounds with opposite-tuned frequencies. The technology also enables more fuel-efficient engine calibrations (due to the reduced need for NVH-related tradeoffs) and reduces the need for damping material and the extra mass that comes with it. The result is enhanced sound-system clarity."

So it looks like 4 mics across the board on all trim levels.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts