2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone who has the 20 speaker, 760 watt Harmon Kardon system think it sounds really fantastic, maybe the best car/van audio system they've ever had? Just curious. I plan to be purchasing a Limited very soon, and I'm an audiophile, but I'm not one to start replacing stock equipment with aftermarket equipment, I have too many other "life" expenses to justify doing things like that. So, what I'd love to hear, is someone who really loves listening to music in their vehicle, with the 20 speaker system to let me know what you think of it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mike

·
Registered
205 Posts
Does anyone who has the 20 speaker, 760 watt Harmon Kardon system think it sounds really fantastic, maybe the best car/van audio system they've ever had? Just curious. I plan to be purchasing a Limited very soon, and I'm an audiophile, but I'm not one to start replacing stock equipment with aftermarket equipment, I have too many other "life" expenses to justify doing things like that. So, what I'd love to hear, is someone who really loves listening to music in their vehicle, with the 20 speaker system to let me know what you think of it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mike
I'm a little over the top with audio gear too. Audio speakers in nearly every room of the house, ATC SCM50ASLs, tube gear,etc.. you get the drift.
We have the 20 speaker sound package in our Touring L Plus. I'd say that it is better than average, but no where near audiophile quality. Partially the challenge is source material. The sirius (sp) is highly compressed, including music channels. My wife likes to listen to these "todays best pop" type stations on sirius satellite radio, and not only does the music make you cringe but the sound quality is really poor. The voices have no body, plenty of sibilence and instruments sound like a compressed closet. FM HD radio is better quality, but it is compressed as well and you will hear the poor quality in more detail due to the slightly revealing nature of the speakers.

The sound warnings from proximity also works very well, it is isolated sound (ie if approaching front right bumper, right passenger speaker makes sound. If approaching middle bumper, middle speaker sounds. This might be standard on other packages too, but I'd say it works particularly well with the 20 speaker and advanced safety combination.

For the drive-in movies, which uses FM radio, the system sounds pretty decent, much better than our updated Sienna minivan sound system. Low end is a little lacking, but honestly that is okay since don't want to injure the kids' ears anyway. But is does pack some punch and dynamics while watching drive-in movie content.

The price is worth it for us since I didn't need to tear apart (or ruin?) the vehicle interior to retrofit speakers into some of the additional locations. But don't expect miracles, it will not sound anywhere near your home reference system. And source material (especially satellite radio) might actually be detrimental when combined with the better speaker package.

If we had to do it all over again, I'd purchase the 20 speaker system, just be aware of the caveats.

·
Registered
71 Posts
"If we had to do it all over again, I'd purchase the 20 speaker system, just be aware of the caveats."

Thanks Bluesfox, that's good enough for me. I do realize that Sirius sounds like it's underwater, and because I'm a huge sports fan as well, I use that listen to NFL radio, and mostly avoid the music stations due to the aforementioned disappointing "muddy" sound. I'll probably end up plugging in my iPod, which is also compressed, but to my ear, not nearly as offensive as Sirius radio. When I go on long family trips, my wife and I listen to music, while our 22 and 18 yr olds indulge themselves with headphones, likely to tune us out. ;)

I'm pretty sure I will be going for the 20 speaker system, I don't like to settle when it comes to sound. Like you, I'm into it pretty good, with home theater setups in my family room and basement, so there are speakers everyone, including outside my house. If you love you music, you want to hear it nice.

Reactions: Vancruiser01

·
Registered
21 Posts
Alpine System Way Too Bass Heavy

I found the Alpine system on the 2017 Pacifica Hybrid to be way too bass heavy, quickly leading to listener fatigue. You can improve this by playing with the equalizer. I just posted my suggested settings and methodology in another thread on this forum for anyone who is curious. It won't let me post the link here, but you can find it if you poke around. Or if you just want to know my EQ settings they are -9 bass, +8 mid, and +6 treble. This provides a much flatter response than the stock settings, and you can adjust to your preference from there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I found the Alpine system on the 2017 Pacifica Hybrid to be way too bass heavy, quickly leading to listener fatigue. You can improve this by playing with the equalizer. I just posted my suggested settings and methodology in another thread on this forum for anyone who is curious. It won't let me post the link here, but you can find it if you poke around. Or if you just want to know my EQ settings they are -9 bass, +8 mid, and +6 treble. This provides a much flatter response than the stock settings, and you can adjust to your preference from there.
-9 on bass? Are you listening to bass heavy music like hip hop or something? My settings are +4 bass, 0 mid, and +4 treble and it sounds excellent. When my wife listens to hip-hop/rap, I sometimes have to dial the bass back to like 0, but never negative. I listen to a lot of jazz and live music by the way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
-9 on bass? Are you listening to bass heavy music like hip hop or something? My settings are +4 bass, 0 mid, and +4 treble and it sounds excellent. When my wife listens to hip-hop/rap, I sometimes have to dial the bass back to like 0, but never negative. I listen to a lot of jazz and live music by the way.
I listen to everything, which is part of why I need the response to be closer to flat. Do you have the same system as I do, same vehicle? I cannot imagine how anyone would want to crank up the bass on this system no matter what they are listening to. My SPL tests show that the bass at 60 Hz is at least 20 dB (!) higher than the mids and highs. That's with the bass, mid, and treble set to 0 on the EQ.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I listen to everything, which is part of why I need the response to be closer to flat. Do you have the same system as I do, same vehicle? I cannot imagine how anyone would want to crank up the bass on this system no matter what they are listening to. My SPL tests show that the bass at 60 Hz is at least 20 dB (!) higher than the mids and highs. That's with the bass, mid, and treble set to 0 on the EQ.
My EQ curve is always a valley. High bass and treble, medium/normal midrange. I have the same Alpine 13 speaker system in a Touring L Plus.

The only time I needed to reduce the bass is when my wife listens to hip/hop or rap which of course accentuates bass tones on purpose. But normal listening, the settings are fine. I listen to most of my music from an iPhone through my Amazon Music app.

My wife listens to the hip hop channels on Siriusxm.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have no problem with the Alpine system. Best stock audio system I've owned (better than the Sony system in my prior Ford Fusion and the JBL in our Toyota Prius).

Just use the equalizer and compensate the mid-range.

I'm sure after properly tuning to compensate the mid-range most people on here couldn't determine which is which in a double-blind test.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I went with the Alpines over the HK's, I didn't think it was worth the $1000 or so "upgrade". It didn't feel like much of an upgrade, especially when the front left speaker is mostly what I hear anyway as a driver. This is a family vehicle so can't turn it up with my wife, toddlers, and parents inside (although the Alpines decently can). Alpines do sounds more "boomy", I wish it was more "punchy" but overall I am satisfied. Someone mentioned about swapping out the 3.5" speakers, so may look into that.

I play HD Radio stations instead. I cringe too at the quality of SiriusXM, if that's what most people listen to for music then might as well go for the 6 speaker system.

My commuter car has JL fronts, sub in hatch, and 3 channel amp. I fade my speakers to the front, muting the back stock speakers, I like to hear my music up front not behind me. So that's when I can really enjoy my music

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a general reply to all the discussion about the alpine vs hk systems. I tested both systems back to back on 2020 models. The HK definitely sounds better and is really good, but I have heard better in premium luxury class vehicles. Bought a 2020 limited with the alpine, because it is a really good system and wife wasn't willing to wait on ordering the hk specd version.

Listening to satellite radio, crank up the bass and treble and lower the mid and it'll sound great. Streaming pandora from my galaxy phone, just boost the treble a few notches and lower the mid a notch and it's dialed.

Hip hop and electronica are the most typical genre for us and what I tested with.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've had both now, my 2017 had the base audio and my 2020 has the HK audio. The HK is much better, but there are definitely better systems out there in luxury cars, etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the Alpine in my 2018 TLP and have the HK in my 2020 Limited. On the same station with the EQ set the same I like the Alpine better.

·
Registered
646 Posts
What are you listening to? XM? FM?

If you're just listening to XM, I could totally see that. When you listen to higher quality media though, the HK sounds heads and shoulders better. Better audio systems make poor quality sources (like XM) sound worse sometimes. I had a 2015 Lexus with the standard audio, and my 2017 had the Mark Levinson audio and I felt the same way about XM radio, good quality streaming, CDs, and especially lossless audio like Tidal or AmazonMusic HD though, and the ML sounds incredible. I wouldn't call the HK in the Pacifica "incredible" but much better.

Also, your EQ settings will be different between the two systems because of their attributes, so I would adjust the HK for your ear vs setting it just like the Alpine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got the Alpine system in mine and it sounds as good if not better than the Infinity system in my old 02 T&C Limited. It sounds good at all volume levels and on all media, FM, Satellite, and USB stick with media files on it. I swear it has a subwoofer somewhere but it's not an option on the Pacifica.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts