2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How current is the "current" Navigation map update? How often are new maps posted?

We have a 2017 Limited, and my wife has been frustrated a few times recently by newer residential streets/addresses not being available in the GPS. I'm tempted to update the maps for my wife's sake, despite the extortion-style pricing model, but I would hate to spend the money if a newer update is about to be listed.

The current update on the site is titled "FCAGROUP - 2018 NORTH AMERICAN MAP FOR UCONNECT® 8.4AN NAVIGATION SYSTEM (RA4) 2018", Part number U3562-0060-809NAM, and is on sale for $99 from the normal $149. But with us being halfway through 2019, I'm just wondering about buying a map from 2018. Is it discounted because it's about to be replaced? Does anybody know when the current map was first listed, or how often new updates are posted. Once a year?

Also, I wonder if somebody with the current map could do an experiment for me. Can somebody please see if this address is in their map:

1272 Worcester Drive
Greenwood, IN 46143

That's a random house for sale on the street that my wife was recently unable to find in her GPS.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The map on my 2018 Pacifica is horribly out of date (I'm not sure of the version number). We recently drove through the western suburbs of Houston, and it was useless there. Because your 2017 probably does not have the Apple or Android function, your best bet is to buy a Garmin or TomTom. I have no idea when the new map will be released. It's so bad Chrysler should release an update at no cost.

Reactions: froglips

·
Registered
616 Posts
Also, I wonder if somebody with the current map could do an experiment for me. Can somebody please see if this address is in their map:

1272 Worcester Drive
Greenwood, IN 46143

That's a random house for sale on the street that my wife was recently unable to find in her GPS.
I checked the map on my 2018 Limited, built in November 2017, and that address is there. It says the map content version is NA-HM-16Q4 which I take to mean that the data is from the fourth quarter of 2016.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Outdated navigation isn't worth much! For the price charged there should be a subscription with regular updates. I have missed interstate exits because data is 2 years old!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Map updates are available once a year, at a cost of $150 each. They aren't particularly up-to-date even right after they come out.

I bought the first update after getting my Pacifica, then bought a Garmin nuvi before the 2nd update became available. The Garmin devices cost less than 2 of the UConnect updates and have free quarterly map and software updates, a dash camera, Bluetooth connection to my phone and traffic monitoring. Yes, I could use my phone for navigation, but the 2017s don't have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto support, and I use the Garmin as a hands-free device when I'm traveling in areas that require one.

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
I'm curious, has anyone been able to purchase an update? Going thru my gps settings and wanted to verify up to date and mine is 16Q4 and surely they'd have an update out for it by now, mine says it's currently up to date on the unavigation site - just crazy talk

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,070 Posts
I'm curious, has anyone been able to purchase an update? Going thru my gps settings and wanted to verify up to date and mine is 16Q4 and surely they'd have an update out for it by now, mine says it's currently up to date on the unavigation site - just crazy talk
In August 2019 I bought the 2018 Map update on sale for $99. A 2019 version wasn't offered then. The 2018 update is an improvement over what was previously downloaded with my Navigation and seems fine so far. I saw that the 2019 Map update is now available for $150.

Up to date may mean that they haven't made an update for your Nav system.
For my van there doesn't seem to be the same designation for quarter. Previously the map update was CMCN4VP3NA;V5 and now it is CMCN4VP3NA;V10. The only difference appears to be the V5 changed to V10. I don't know if V stands for version.

There may be a difference between the 2017 and 2018 Navigation systems and whether it is RA3 or RA4 system.
My 2017 van came Nav capable which meant that I could turn on the Navigation at a later date by paying around $500 to activate it. It has an RA3 (not 3D) 8.4 touchscreen. I activated the Navigation in Nov 2017 and noticed some major errors in freeways I travel so I wanted to at least try an update once in case they decide to stop making map updates as more vehicles have Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.

I understand the logic of just using a phone or other GPS device, but I really like the map on the large touchscreen. When necessary I check my cell phone for traffic updates, etc.

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
In August 2019 I bought the 2018 Map update on sale for $99. A 2019 version wasn't offered then. The 2018 update is an improvement over what was previously downloaded with my Navigation and seems fine so far. I saw that the 2019 Map update is now available for $150.

Up to date may mean that they haven't made an update for your Nav system.
For my van there doesn't seem to be the same designation for quarter. Previously the map update was CMCN4VP3NA;V5 and now it is CMCN4VP3NA;V10. The only difference appears to be the V5 changed to V10. I don't know if V stands for version.

There may be a difference between the 2017 and 2018 Navigation systems and whether it is RA3 or RA4 system.
My 2017 van came Nav capable which meant that I could turn on the Navigation at a later date by paying around $500 to activate it. It has an RA3 (not 3D) 8.4 touchscreen. I activated the Navigation in Nov 2017 and noticed some major errors in freeways I travel so I wanted to at least try an update once in case they decide to stop making map updates as more vehicles have Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.

I understand the logic of just using a phone or other GPS device, but I really like the map on the large touchscreen. When necessary I check my cell phone for traffic updates, etc.
yeah, I thought I'd do an update every 2-3 years just to have it. I do use Apple play sometimes but if you're traveling and hit a dead spot or hit a part of a town that is congested and get poor data service because of it then it's nice to use it

Reactions: SciTchr

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
Convo with uconnect support regarding map updates

Abril08:03 AM
Hello Bob GFunkMasterJoe. At this time we do not have an update available for your vehicle, but a new one is expected in early 2021.
You08:04 AM
seriously?
You08:05 AM
my current version is 16Q4 - as I understand it that means the 4th quater of 2016 - so over 4 years before an update is available?
Abril08:05 AM
I do apologize for any inconvenience. That date indicates when the data for your map began to be collected.
You08:06 AM
how can I be notified when the update is released
Abril08:07 AM
I can add you to our mailing list with your email and VIN.
You08:07 AM
I just created an account and agreed to recieve emails, is that the same things?
Abril08:08 AM
yes, that is correct.

You
08:11 AM
is the map update is that going to update just the navigation like the roads, or is it going to update the entire uconnect system?
Abril
08:12 AM
It will update only the mapping, such as the roads and points of interest. Other features of your system will stay the same.

Reactions: Clint

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my 2019 Pacifica in Dec 2018. An interstate exit to my home in Kyle, TX was constructed around 2016 or 2017. It is now Feb 2020 and that exit still does not appear on my nav and Chrysler says they still don't know when update will be available. Somewhat related is that there was a software bug in my radio when I bought the vehicle and they still can't tell me when they will have a fix for it.

In the UNLIKELY event I buy another Pacifica, I will only do so if they give me a 30 day (maybe 15) 100% return policy. I am truly disgusted with the way Chrysler has treated me after buying a new $38,000 vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,070 Posts
I bought my 2019 Pacifica in Dec 2018. An interstate exit to my home in Kyle, TX was constructed around 2016 or 2017. It is now Feb 2020 and that exit still does not appear on my nav and Chrysler says they still don't know when update will be available. Somewhat related is that there was a software bug in my radio when I bought the vehicle and they still can't tell me when they will have a fix for it.

In the UNLIKELY event I buy another Pacifica, I will only do so if they give me a 30 day (maybe 15) 100% return policy. I am truly disgusted with the way Chrysler has treated me after buying a new $38,000 vehicle.
If you put your van info in the signature line of account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts and help us answer your questions easier.

Navigation doesn't update without paying a fee through the UConnect website and downloading the info.

As far as the UConnect system, you can go to the website to see if there is an update for your VIN. The last update I have was 18.45.01 from fall 2019. You can check to see what version in your van by checking your touchscreen under Uapps>settings>system info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thankfully I got a great deal on my van and didn't really care about nav. I use Google Maps instead because I find the nav system pretty useless without traffic data. There's some random traffic that comes when I pay a ridiculous fee for uconnect service. Who knew your car could nickel and dime you???

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
347 Posts
Thankfully I got a great deal on my van and didn't really care about nav. I use Google Maps instead because I find the nav system pretty useless without traffic data. There's some random traffic that comes when I pay a ridiculous fee for uconnect service. Who knew your car could nickel and dime you???
My 2018 came with 5 years of traffic at no charge. It is separate from the Guardian service that you pay for after the 3 month trial.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just to contribute my comment (complaint) about the nav information: My 2020 Pacifica was built during November 2019, with (I presume) the latest info available at that time. Asking the built-in nav system for a Walmart location recently it directed me to an address where the Walmart had been closed for at least five years, replaced by a newer store a few miles away. Similar experience when asking for a Kroger location in another town, the built-in system showed a location from more than three years earlier, not the current Point of Interest (POI) location where a new Kroger store sits.

I haven't been travelling recently in locations with new roads, so cannot comment on accuracy of simple road and traffic data - but am not confident enough to trust it.

Data for the built-in nav system is from HERE Technologies (and updates are purchased from HERE). The FREE Android app HERE WeGo (also from HERE Technologies) knows where these places are now. How the heck can FCA and Uconnect not have better updated information available? Particularly at such a high price for updates? If anything, we should get multiple Over The Air (OTA) updates during the year for such a fee. @ChryslerCares - does anyone care about this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a used 2017 Pacifica with navigation. I didn't find the maps to be horribly out of date, but some of the speed limits are wrong, which now seems pretty trivial compared to what you-all are dealing with. I bought a Garmin last year for around $150. For the extra $50 it includes lifetime map updates. It seems rather petty of Chrysler to charge us to keep vehicles exceeding $25,000 up to date. Certainly for $100, the updates should be lifetime. When mine gets annoyingly out of date, I'll go back to the Garmin. It's more accurate anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts