2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new (20 miles on it) 2018 PacHy off the lot on 5/7/19. This vehicle must have sat around for a long long time. The included charge cable was still in the wrapper. I don't believe the dealership would even have a clue on how to charge it. I drove the vehicle about 100 miles before giving it some Type 1 charge, just to make sure it charges ok. Then drove it about another 100 miles before giving it a 95% Type 2 charge, which I then got about 30 E miles out of. It now has 400 miles on it. So it looks to me like I won't have any battery issues related to it sitting for a long time before purchase. How did my vehicle NOT experience drained batteries? Any help explaining this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't let forum posts scare you - the majority of 2018s sold have been fine I bet. People only post when they experience issues. Perhaps a small batch of 2018s had bad batteries installed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Perhaps the car was test-driven frequently, the dealership moved it around a lot, or even just made sure to start it and idle it occasionally? The HV battery problems may be due to the HV battery draining to charge the 12V every 21 days. If the car is turned on enough to keep the 12V charged from the engine, then maybe the HV battery doesn't develop issues?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the optimism.

Maybe there should be a survey in these forums, and members are asked to update their survey responses on a regular basis.
The survey would ask members to check off what they own and which issues they have experienced.

Then we could all see numbers such as (making these up, don't read anything into these numbers):
28,433 members own a 2018 PacHy
16 of them said YES to having experienced a dead battery issue within the first 2 days of ownership
which is .056%, or 1 in 1777

That would be very helpful.
Otherwise it's frightening reading about some of the issues.
I'm sure some potential buyers are discouraged as a result.
Or maybe we'll find out we should be frightened.

At least we'd have some numbers to shed some reality on the situation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When do you think 2018 PacHys got to the lots, late 2017? If so the vehicle has been in the lot for a year and a half, and only had 20 miles on it.
Down here in Mississippi my guess is it didn't get test driven a whole lot.
Pickup trucks make up 95% of the lot.
Ok I'm exaggerating. A little.

Actually, shame on me for having so many questions about the vehicle I could have asked the dealer beforehand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When do you think 2018 PacHys got to the lots, late 2017? If so the vehicle has been in the lot for a year and a half, and only had 20 miles on it.
Down here in Mississippi my guess is it didn't get test driven a whole lot.
Pickup trucks make up 95% of the lot.
Ok I'm exaggerating. A little.

Actually, shame on me for having so many questions about the vehicle I could have asked the dealer beforehand.
We know some 2018s were manufactured on March 1, 2018 or later because the most recent recall only applies to those manufactured between Oct. 2017 and Feb. 2018.
From what I've seen, I believe they announced the 2019 Hybrid in June with orders opening in August, so I would guess the last line of 2018s finished in June or July 2018.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You can see when the van was manufactured by looking at the sticker on the edge of the driver's door. Typically lithium battery manufacturers ship with some charge on the battery since a partial charge is best for the longevity of the battery. So if it wasn't driven at all by the dealer and just sat on the lot then there might have been enough juice left in the hybrid battery to top off the 12 volt battery every 21 days. My experiments have shown that the idle current of the van, once it has gone to sleep, is 20 to 30 milliamps. Let's say 30 ma. That is .720 amp hours per day. That is 15.12 amp hours or 0.18 kilowatt hours per 21 day period. If it sat around for a year it would need to top up 17 times which would be about 3 kwh. A full charge of the hybrid battery takes about 13 kwh. Those are all back-of-the-napkin calculations, but yes it is plausible but only if it was left with some charge on the hybrid battery. If it was test driven and then parked with the hybrid battery at 0% and never charged then I would really expect the 12 volt battery to have died.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
We know some 2018s were manufactured on March 1, 2018 or later because the most recent recall only applies to those manufactured between Oct. 2017 and Feb. 2018.
From what I've seen, I believe they announced the 2019 Hybrid in June with orders opening in August, so I would guess the last line of 2018s finished in June or July 2018.
Mine is built Nov 2017, delivered in December.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can see when the van was manufactured by looking at the sticker on the edge of the driver's door. Typically lithium battery manufacturers ship with some charge on the battery since a partial charge is best for the longevity of the battery. So if it wasn't driven at all by the dealer and just sat on the lot then there might have been enough juice left in the hybrid battery to top off the 12 volt battery every 21 days. My experiments have shown that the idle current of the van, once it has gone to sleep, is 20 to 30 milliamps. Let's say 30 ma. That is .720 amp hours per day. That is 15.12 amp hours or 0.18 kilowatt hours per 21 day period. If it sat around for a year it would need to top up 17 times which would be about 3 kwh. A full charge of the hybrid battery takes about 13 kwh. Those are all back-of-the-napkin calculations, but yes it is plausible but only if it was left with some charge on the hybrid battery. If it was test driven and then parked with the hybrid battery at 0% and never charged then I would really expect the 12 volt battery to have died.
Checked my driver's door sticker, shows 7-18. So it hadn't been sitting on the lot as long as I figured.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet....

You want everyone on the forum to create a survey and update it regularly to try and prove why your car has no problems?

My dude, if your life is so stress free that you are worried about why a car that is working perfectly, you are one lucky human.

But also, no. I don't think I'll follow you down this rabbit hole of madness. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet....

You want everyone on the forum to create a survey and update it regularly to try and prove why your car has no problems?

My dude, if your life is so stress free that you are worried about why a car that is working perfectly, you are one lucky human.

But also, no. I don't think I'll follow you down this rabbit hole of madness. :)
Yeah maybe I'm crazy.

I'll create a poll to gather some data.

You don't have to follow me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts