2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Today is 6 months at 9am.

I half expected to be in FORM this morning on the way to work but still driving all Electric.

Achieved 10,125km (6292mi) from a tank in my 6months. Fuely isnt gonna like this entry. They have a mileage cap per tank that causes a total distance calculation error but doesnt seem to affect the Gas Only MPG tacking.

In 1.75years (21 months) I’ve spent $453.71 on gasoline and $40 a month on electricity for a total of about $1,300 on “fuel”.

I used to spend at the very minimum $450 a month on the 2016 Grand Caravan..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Still waiting for it.

The fuel is now 6 full calendar months old (based on 31 day months).

Anyone who gets FORM and thinks its due to stale fuel is evidently incorrect..

I wonder how long it can go?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i just read a post on Facebook that one person goes an entire year with a single tank.

I’m not going to make it that far as winter here is just cold enough to fire up the engine daily and its just around the corner.

Needless to say, Stale fuel FORM should not be the cause for FORM on a regular basis - this is more likely due to condensation in the oil from running the engine and not allowing it to reach operating temperature on the regular.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We've had the PacHy for 5 weeks and are at 850 miles (1,367 km) with 3/4 tank left. At this rate the first tank of gas should last into early 2020 (barring any road trips since still undecided on plans for Thanksgiving).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Purchase in December 2017
Total Fuel cost-to-date: $399.06
Total Gallons purchased: 166.8 US Gallons

Last fuel-up: July 17, 2019
Next fuel-up: ??

Usually, I have to put gas in the tank when the PacHy goes into FORM. Happened often with less than 60 days on the tank.

I'm at 95 days on my current tank and it hasn't gone into FORM.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Purchase in December 2017
Total Fuel cost-to-date: $399.06
Total Gallons purchased: 166.8 US Gallons

Last fuel-up: July 17, 2019
Next fuel-up: ??

Usually, I have to put gas in the tank when the PacHy goes into FORM. Happened often with less than 60 days on the tank.

I'm at 95 days on my current tank and it hasn't gone into FORM.
Try proactively managing your FORM by letting the engine get up to 85c(185f) whenever your engine comes on, if not try again the next time.

Its the collection of cold starts and short usage trips that cause oil contamination (around a dozen IIRC).. so if your able to at least accomplish heating the oil periodically you can forgo FORM.

I havent had FORM now for over 9 months. Heck, I’ve been on this single tank now 4 days short of 8 months.. and I believe I had the sparkplug variant of FORM when it wad active due to the need for a highway cruise to clear it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had the fuel life expire and FORM force an entire tank to be purged?

If so how long did it last for?

My tank is still 7/8 full With 3100mile (5000km).. it was filled on February 26, 2019.

The owners manual indicates there is a 3month life span but I’m rolling into the 4th month now!
Congratulations on your low carbon footprint. I have not gone that long between fillups, but I will be monitoring because I am trying to!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Definitely a spammer padding his post count so he could post links. It's funny how they always use inappropriate ellipses in their posts, but maybe it's the same spammer coming back for another try.
Yeah, Frig knows nothing. Claims the Pachy doesn't have a CVT powertrain, which it clearly does.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Yeah, Frig knows nothing. Claims the Pachy doesn't have a CVT powertrain, which it clearly does.
Not sure where this originates?

CVT is a good idea for efficiency, while I agree the Pachy FEELS like it has a CVT powertrain, I would never own a vehicle that does. It is too fragile and prone to breaking.

The Pachy uses a Si-EVT trainsmission that takes the fragility out and only mimics a CVT experience. EVT relies on electric motors coupled to solid gears.

See these video to understand the difference

@Frig is not mistaken.

Please note that the primary traction motor is direct drive to the differential, and the secondary traction motor is used for the ICE as a starter/generator and to manage the RPM of the ICE or help turn the differential. The secondary traction motor is the EVT portion of the transmission and torque is applied through gears which are as durable as it gets.

It feels like CVT because an electric motor doesnt need to shift gears to opperate effectively.

Scroll approx 30min in for the power flow discussion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm hoping this was a tongue-in-cheek reference to GoT ("You know nothing, John Snow."). Frig is absolutely right and the two videos m0ebius just posted demonstrate why you could be forgiven for thinking it's a CVT, but you'd still be wrong. Absolutely ZERO pulleys in the PacHy's transaxle, which is one of the defining features of a CVT in most cases.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm hoping this was a tongue-in-cheek reference to GoT ("You know nothing, John Snow."). Frig is absolutely right and the two videos m0ebius just posted demonstrate why you could be forgiven for thinking it's a CVT, but you'd still be wrong. Absolutely ZERO pulleys in the PacHy's transaxle, which is one of the defining features of a CVT in most cases.
I see now this is a carry-over conversation from the “winter milage” thread.

Since the weber video was cited already by @1964Plymouth, Iexpanded my post to highlight the fundamental differences between Si-EVT and CVT.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Month 8

Fuel lamp is on.. still have fuel on the needle and the “Low Fuel” Message has yet to occur.

We’ve had a favorable turn in weather thats allowing a little added life for this tank.

I’m sure it wont last too much longer because the family doesn’t tolerate avoiding using the HVAC.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Today was the day.

After my daughters dance class and some errands, the family decided to head out to pumpkin patch thats outside electric only capability..

Final tally was 8 months of daily usage and 11,542km (7172mi) on a single tank with an average MPGe of over 60MPG (or under 4.0L/100km)

Now to get fuelly to work with these figures to record my gasoline only figures.. until then heres the complete fuel log.

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK. Figured out why we're not communicating. When you guys hear "CVT", you assume belts and variable size pulleys. Sorry if you got that impression, but I never said that. What I said is that the sun gear in the planetary set is controlled by the small motor, and this provides the infinitely variable gear ratios. The small motor can hold the sun gear stationary, which provides around a 2.5 : 1 reduction. (I don't remember the exact figure) It can drive the sun gear backwards (Counter clockwise as viewed from the passenger side) to increase this gear ratio. It can drive the sun gear forward (clockwise) to decrease the gear ratio. It can also allow the sun gear to be driven CW when coasting so that it can act as a generator. Some day I'll sit down and calculate what the sun gear is doing under various conditions, based on the tach readings in my car, and the gear ratios stated in the deep dive video. Right now the thought of doing that hurts my head.

Toyota sort of "invented" this approach to CVT for the Prius, but I think it was around long before they did it. The M1 General Abrams tank has used it from the start for high speed steering. The planetary gearsets on the left and right output sides of the transmission have sun gears controlled by hydraulic (hydrostatic) motors. When the driver pulls on the tiller bar at high speeds (over 15mph, as I remember) the sun gear on one side is sped up, and the other side slowed down. So the track speeds up a little on one side, and slows down a little on the other. The result is butter smooth steering on a 63 ton tracked vehicle going 45 mph.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts