2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica Limited
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2020 Pacifica, after turning in my leased 2017 Pacifica Limited. When I originally test drove the 2017 Pacifica and compared it the other vans on the market, I knew I had to have the Pacifica. In my opinion, nothing else even compared. However, every auto mechanic I ever knew, always told me to never purchase the 1st model year of any new automotive platform. There are always bugs that need to be ironed out and I felt that leasing a 2017 rather than purchasing it, was the safer option for me. If it turned out to be a lemon, then I was only married to it for three years and any problems would be covered under the bumper to bumper factory warranty...

Luckily for me, my 2017 proved to be a great vehicle and I only had a few minor issues and recalls that were quickly and efficiently handled by my local Chrysler dealership. As my lease was winding down, I had no doubt in my mind, that I was going to purchase a 2020 Pacifica to replace it.

Just curious as to how many people on this forum had a 2017 Pacifica and also decided to purchase or lease another Pacifica???

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'll probably get the 2021 in a few months. The Odyssey was cost cut to heck and the new Sienna is a 4 cylinder! Kia? Looks too much like an SUV.

Reactions: DRZ

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My lease is up next year so I'll probably replace my 2018 with a 2021. My service experiences parallel yours. No worse than any of the several Hondas I've owned.

I'm not worried about the refresh changes, as they are minor, and FCA has had a lot of time to sort out the new radio head.

·
Registered
960 Posts
My experience with my 2017 was awful, which everybody knows...still begrudgingly got a 2020.

Reactions: AndyT and DRZ

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m preordering the 2021 AWD as soon it drops.
We love the 2019, it is terrible in even a little snow.
The AWD should help.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Really? Ours is okay in the snow. AWD will obviously be much better. What kind of tires do you have on it?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I also leased my second Pacifica Touring-L, turned in my 2017(lease) back in December and picked up a 2020 Touring-L. Love these vehicles, but not enough to purchase. I just had the rack & pinion assembly replaced due to a front end rattle. For the most part that seemed to do the trick, but not totally, so if it gets no worse I'll live with it knowing that it won't be forever, and I'll get into another new vehicle.:)

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am on my second one and very happy. I have a decision to make at the end of the year when my lease is up but I am highly likely to get a third Pacifica!

·
Registered
115 Posts
On several trips to my daughter's college, I rented a gas Pacifica to help move her into and out of the dorm. I was familiar with the smooth transmission and general feel of the suspension and handling when empty and fully loaded. I really enjoyed driving it. When I first heard of the hybrid version, and had a transmission go out on my main commuter, for the second time, I immediately knew this was the car I was looking for, and the first test drive, really just rolling out of the parking lot I knew the Pacifica Hybrid was the one. It was just as smooth as the gas version, but more. Having had the experience of owning a minivan in the past when we had young kids in car seats, I knew that the extra space would come in handy for carpooling with the soccer team with much larger kids and adults on ski trips, etc, and really have been enjoying it for the utility and the gas efficiency, the Pacficia Hybrid really is a great vehicle in a class by itself.

Anyway, I don't really need another car that size right now, but would probably consider getting another one, if I needed it, but for now I am anxiously waiting for the Portal!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I’m preordering the 2021 AWD as soon it drops.
We love the 2019, it is terrible in even a little snow.
The AWD should help.
It has nothing to do with all wheel drive. It’s the tires (talking about slipping in minimal snow while climbing uphill - mine does too). Getting a new set of tires is much cheaper than buying a new car. However if you do need the usability of all wheel drive, go ahead.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
416 Posts
It has nothing to do with all wheel drive. It’s the tires (talking about slipping in minimal snow while climbing uphill - mine does too). Getting a new set of tires is much cheaper than buying a new car. However if you do need the usability of all wheel drive, go ahead.
+1 to the tires being the problem. Another thought: it has been my understanding that if you must replace a tire on a AWD vehicle where the tires have some miles on them, then you must replace ALL of the tires at the same time. The new tire rotates a tad slower than the others, and the resulting conflicting data sent to the computer can cause damage to certain drivetrain components. Perhaps if the existing tires are relatively new, you could shave a bit off of the new one to make them the same, but as a general rule I have read that all four tires should be replaced. True?

Yes, I also was thinking of picking up a '22 Pacifica AWD (not '21), but our '18 has been ok in the snow so far with the optional Michelin Premiers.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
792 Posts
And in the 'Great White North', I never drive through the winter months without dedicated Winter/Snow tires. And I usually try to get something like the Michelin X-Ice so I also have better traction on the icy road surfaces.

·
Registered
960 Posts
+1 to the tires being the problem. Another thought: it has been my understanding that if you must replace a tire on a AWD vehicle where the tires have some miles on them, then you must replace ALL of the tires at the same time. The new tire rotates a tad slower than the others, and the resulting conflicting data sent to the computer can cause damage to certain drivetrain components. Perhaps if the existing tires are relatively new, you could shave a bit off of the new one to make them the same, but as a general rule I have read that all four tires should be replaced. True?

Yes, I also was thinking of picking up a '22 Pacifica AWD (not '21), but our '18 has been ok in the snow so far with the optional Michelin Premiers.
There is truth to this. Like, you don't want to replace two tires and keep two worn tires. People do this all the time with AWD cars though and have no issues.

You can also have tires shaved. So if you buy one new tire, you can have it shaved down to the same tread depth as the other tires on the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts