2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my question is if Chrysler builds , and we all know they are going to , what would you pay for a full electric portal ? . The size will ultimately be smaller than current Pacifica . The battery and configuration. ( fwd/awd ) will be the deciding factors . What are your thoughts on price vs range vs real world pricing .

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I wouldn't buy it. An electric minivan is a non-starter. We try to minimize the travel time and wouldn't want to waste time charging (never mind that the L3 DC chargers are few and far between). We just came back from a vacation. Drove almost 500 miles from Myrtle Beach to Baltimore on a single tank. Try this on electric. While on vacation we had access to a 120V outlet, which was OK for short trips around the town. The whole city has maybe 3 public L2 chargers and no L3. Even if we had 500 mile EV, we wouldn't be able to get back without charging for about 30 hours on one of those chargers. I'd rather pay $70 for the round trip gas.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yup, for me a minivan is a road trip vehicle. The PHEV model is usable for me, but the pure electric isn’t. If it were, I’d buy a Tesla over a Chrysler in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yup, for me a minivan is a road trip vehicle. The PHEV model is usable for me, but the pure electric isn’t. If it were, I’d buy a Tesla over a Chrysler in a heartbeat.
Exactly, minivan trips are at the extremes, 5 miles trips to to soccer then 500 mile trips to grandma, the hybrid's perfect in that regard... although 75+ miles on electric would be awesome. Better yet, squeeze in a gas tank the size of the Lincoln Navigator's 33.5 gallons and get 1000 mile range. :eek:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
So far only Tesla has succeeded in providing charging system for long travel. Don’t buy anything else at present if you have plans for long trips- may be in future.
Even then I doubt if anyone else will exceed or even match the range/ price of Tesla. For now Tesla is king in the EV market - winner hands down.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
So my question is if Chrysler builds , and we all know they are going to , what would you pay for a full electric portal ? . The size will ultimately be smaller than current Pacifica . The battery and configuration. ( fwd/awd ) will be the deciding factors . What are your thoughts on price vs range vs real world pricing .
If they make a hybrid version I will buy it tomorrow. Until then I will never go full electric unless there are drive-up automated battery swap stations nationwide.

Rediculous charging times during a road trip?

Ain't nobody got time for that!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem is that you can’t compare the Tesla to the portal , have you seen the size of the model x ? . Then furthermore have you seen the cost of the model x ? Interesting as new Cadillac Escalade is supposed to come out with 400 mile electric version . Comparing a 125,000 plus ( here in Ontario Canada) is just kind of ludicrous. So if the portal had a 400 mile range you still wouldn’t buy it ?. No offence to the Tesla lovers out there , you think your cars are king , the industry is catching up to you . Tesla is learning that mass production comes with quality and build issues . Furthermore , ever ask yourself why Tesla owners charge at level 2 chargers when they have ability to supercharge their cars !. I’m a ev guy , other car is a new viper acr-e , so I just kind of call it as I see it . Don’t believe the hype of Tesla, follow the turnstile of management turnaround , Tesla had a niche product but unfortunately thought he could built it Henry Ford style ( mass produced ) . Gm, Ford, Chrysler, etc all have ability to build full on electric and surpass Tesla ( they have the capital and production ability ) but they also know the market is so small that the return on investment is so small . Curious ad to why Tesla ditched his model s and x to focus on the model 3 ? . Sometimes when you don’t focus on the whole picture , and just focus one one little segment , you blink and the industry ad a whole is right behind you . I think the benefit to cost ration for a full on electric is low and hybrid is only way to go . To buy a 80 thousand dollar vehicle that can’t drive long, long distance has no rational ( planning for stop to charge, charger off line, charger iced, no charger available ) . Just ask yourself what you’d buy without all or any government incentives or credits . I’m just asking what you’d pay for a portal with some range to it .

·
Registered
288 Posts
I’ve never understood the Tesla haters. They’re pawns that have been manipulated into doing the dirty work of established companies that can’t compete on product. Nobody else is anywhere near Tesla in terms of technology.

Portal is still just a concept car, intended to dupe people into believing that FCA can produce something other than mainstream minivans. There should be so much more to a cutting-edge vehicle than just a “modern” look and the unproven promise of electric range. All of the integration work that Tesla’s done, the automation, and the just plain rethinking isn’t just years ahead of traditional manufacturers—it’s a paradigm shift that they’ve been unable/unwilling to ape for over a decade now. They’re that far behind and cannot change their engineering/supplier culture in a way that will let them catch up.

Things like the Bolt only attempt to capture the EV range of a Tesla, ignoring the true innovations of the brand. To think that FCA will be able to do anything remotely competitive with Tesla is laughable.

Portal is just an image designed to appeal to a very narrow, uninformed market segment—hipster dufus types that have somehow managed to breed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Free range increase is great but I don't think they will sell any more than they are now. The problem with it are the looks, size, comfort, slow DC charging speed, no ACC, and small tax credit. By the time it's out, the tax credit will be $1875. Leaf, Kona, Niro, and Soul will still have $7500 tax credit.

Slow DC charging speed on my Leaf sucks and I would never want to take it on a trip. It's similar to the Bolt. If you don't have another vehicle, get a Tesla if you want to go full EV. Here's some articles about charging speed:

https://www.torquenews.com/6094/tesla-model-3-vs-gm-s-chevy-bolt-who-king-fast-charging/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motortrend.com/news/teslas-v3-supercharger-tested/amp/

https://insideevs.com/news/343622/tesla-model-3-on-supercharger-v3-here-are-the-charging-specs/amp/

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes well if Cadillac Escalade gets a 400 mile range out of their new model it def will be a game changer . Range is only as good as the size of the vehicle . Tesla models really are too small and don’t have any real utility space for long distance trips with 4 to 6 people .

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I’ve never understood the Tesla haters. They’re pawns that have been manipulated into doing the dirty work of established companies that can’t compete on product. Nobody else is anywhere near Tesla in terms of technology.
No Tesla haters here. They are way ahead in the long distance EV travel game. Still, their solution is still inferior to the ICE in terms of convenience and availability. I've owned EVs for a couple of years, and one thing I've learned that the only charger I can rely on is the one in my garage. BEVs are good only for the local travel, and paying premium for huge batteries makes little sense. I have a 120 miles BMW i3, and it serves most of our family everyday needs. I wouldn't want to have it is my only vehicle.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

Portal is still just a concept car, intended to dupe people into believing that FCA can produce something other than mainstream minivans. There should be so much more to a cutting-edge vehicle than just a “modern” look and the unproven promise of electric range. All of the integration work that Tesla’s done, the automation, and the just plain rethinking isn’t just years ahead of traditional manufacturers—it’s a paradigm shift that they’ve been unable/unwilling to ape for over a decade now. They’re that far behind and cannot change their engineering/supplier culture in a way that will let them catch up.

Things like the Bolt only attempt to capture the EV range of a Tesla, ignoring the true innovations of the brand. To think that FCA will be able to do anything remotely competitive with Tesla is laughable.

Portal is just an image designed to appeal to a very narrow, uninformed market segment—hipster dufus types that have somehow managed to breed.
Somehow I tend to believe you more than those industry paid journalists who tout real Tesla killers periodically (which inevitably whimper away).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What’s a fully loaded Pacifica worth in the states , ehybrid of course . With every option available . Here in Canada they run around 53 grand . . ( limited configuration)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the idea of all electric. But, I need longer, always, to carry two power chairs (that fold up like a carry-on suitcase) and a walker. If I'm going 400 miles, I'll also have luggage. So, not an option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitely my next vehicle if it happens. My son has a Leaf and I am now a convert. I presently am driving a 2018 Pacifica Limited gas version(which is excellent in IMHO).
I understand every ones objections but my wife is about to lease a 2020 subaru outback so long trips are not an issue for us. I am a retried senior and I only drive my van about 900 miles/month. When my lease is up in 2021, I am hoping there will be at least a few L3 chargers capable of at least 100kw. But right now there is a free 50kw station about 4 miles from my house. Being I am retired I can sit and read a book for an hour or two while the portal charges once a week. The charger is next to a rest area with bathroom facilities and food.

All this is speculation as Chrysler does not always deliver on stuff they show.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
13 Participants
CANADAHYBRIDGUY
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing