• 81 and above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
No f’n way are you 59 lol.

I’m 38 this is my 4th mini van. I use them for selling and installing satellites. Been at it since 2004. This is by far the nicest one I’ve owned even though there are things that i am pretty let down on for the original price tag of the van but I’ve had trucks , suvs , fast cars ect and the mini van is really one of the best vehicles a person can own unless you need to tow a lot. It would be a lot cooler if the Pac would come in awd but then there would be no stow n go.

I mod all my vehicles so this one will be modded soon. First mod happened a day after i got it and it goes in next Friday for another.

****, I am 59 going on 25 and still modding the **** out of all my cars (and doing all my own work)...Only just got started on this one.

Plus my other ride.....

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
No f’n way are you 59 lol.

I’m 38 this is my 4th mini van. I use them for selling and installing satellites. Been at it since 2004. This is by far the nicest one I’ve owned even though there are things that i am pretty let down on for the original price tag of the van but I’ve had trucks , suvs , fast cars ect and the mini van is really one of the best vehicles a person can own unless you need to tow a lot. It would be a lot cooler if the Pac would come in awd but then there would be no stow n go.

I mod all my vehicles so this one will be modded soon. First mod happened a day after i got it and it goes in next Friday for another.
.....so you put the satellite in the Pacifica then put the van in a rocket to send it into space? :rolleyes:

....kidding. I know what you mean.

....and why can't he be 59?

·
Registered
76 Posts
38 but my first mini van was in my mid 20s. I use them for my work vehicle ( installing satellite )

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I am one of the 70-somethings. No grandchildren yet, just occasional visits from our adult sons and their significant others so we really don't need a people carrier. But I missed the cargo capacity of the Toyota Previa that we had for 15 years. After it died that Previa got traded in for a Prius. Now I have the best of both worlds, a PHEV minivan. Mostly use it for errands around town and carrying R/C planes to the flying field. 2500 miles and still using the original tank of gas provided by the dealer.
"2500 miles and still using the original tank of gas provided by the dealer." :surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
562 Posts
"2500 miles and still using the original tank of gas provided by the dealer." :surprise::surprise::surprise:
Shortly after I wrote that we went on a camping trip and had to fill the tank. :frown2: Which is exactly why it fits our situation so well. Enough electric range to handle all the errands around town and a gas engine for the longer trips. :smile2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Getting into my upper fifties and the Pacifica is my 3rd mini van, (Since my first, a 2005 Grand Caravan SXT)..

George

Also new member to the site. Been a Pacifica owner since 9/2016. :nerd:

·
Registered
273 Posts
.....I'm amused that I'm the lone old guy (oldest up till now) in the poll, surely there must be more oldsters (70-80) that enjoy owning this wonderful van....
<
71 last January.....

·
Registered
781 Posts
Had GM station wagons since 1980 as the family grew to 5. Held onto the 1986 Pontiac wagon for 14 years, then switched to a '99 caravan, and this is minivan #6 [one stolen, one traded in at a year old because I was concerned it was going to be a big-time lemon -- random electrical hits resetting radio, clock, etc. Not big enough to be lemon law candidate, but I did not want to be around for the big one. Salesman [a friend] who took the trade told me later that he heard second-hand it "burned up" while parked.]

These days my wife does not to want to put up with the little things that squeak and rattle as the vans age, and even though the extended warranties are proof against potential short life of so many complicated parts, my patience is a little thin on that score, so we switched over to leasing.

We do fill it often with both family and friends (its an 8 seater,) and weekly I usually drive 5 of us to dinner to with plenty of elbow room (except the for person in the 8th center seat somewhat squished against the car seat because I keep one of the back seats down) and with 4 grandchildren, it is great to be able hold down the caravan to 2 cars when we get together for travel.

My wife loves the higher seat which eliminates much of the headlight glare she gets when riding in a regular car.

Happy overall with the van -- not so much with dealer. As posted in other threads, I had two incidents -- bad battery (16 days in the shop) and just now, bad A/C compressor which took them 18 days to diagnose. The dealer is overloaded and I don't think they worked on the van consistently. But the case managers at Chrysler Customer service -- Gina and Audra -- were great and stayed in touch with me and kept me informed from their perspective of the work in progress (or lack thereof.) I know others have had issues with the case managers, but these two women were great.

The only thing that may keep me from staying with a Pacifica is the dealer service.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The poll is interesting in that I think it points out a misconception about who buys them. All the marketing I've seen is directed at child rearing ages, yet about half the respondents are beyond that usual age. I'd like to see more features and option choices directed at older owners.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The poll is interesting in that I think it points out a misconception about who buys them. All the marketing I've seen is directed at child rearing ages, yet about half the respondents are beyond that usual age. I'd like to see more features and option choices directed at older owners.
Very correct. Like here, old and no kids.(well, I do have a four year old, but she is a cat.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
What's with the 51-60 group screwing up our Bell Curve? Kids out of the house but not yet grandparents?
We travel to the Catskill Mountains every summer, family vacation, and this is the ideal vehicle to fit the family and everything we want to take as well. I also have a kid in college, so it comes in handy to have the room to move things back and forth.

Besides that, it's just a great vehicle to drive period, with or without the family. I've had a bunch of different sedans, SUV's, and besides my Mustang, our Pacifica is my favorite.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I agree we may be a significant owner share, but I am sure that dealer feedback gives them a very accurate picture of the ownership age groups. But it is probably also skewed by their assumptions that many of us in the older group are focused on grandchildren transport -- if we buy the entertainment packages (like I did,) that guides their advertising as well. And in today's 2 working parent families, many may have become "soccer grandparents."

And we can't leave out the fact this is not a true sample. I don't know that in the middle of raising 3 kids and working long hours I would be browsing these forums without a reason (like a problem.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jerry, I don't disagree that many grandparents would buy a van with features marketed at children, but a lot don't. Here is a post I made on another Mopar forum that better describes what I would like to see. I now own a '14 T&C Limited, so some of the comments are about it, but the discussion was about the plunging sales figures for the Pacifica. None of my suggestions and complaints are big dollar items, but rather some things that would appeal to a rather large number of people who are totally ignored by the marketing gurus.

"The first thing I would want in any new vehicle is a wider choice of colors, both inside and out. Since my comments were made with older customers in mind, I’ll speak just to that point.

As far as colors, so many older people live and retire to southern climates. Arizona, Florida, Texas are the most popular retirement states and they have at least one thing in common, and that’s sunny days and the accompanying heat, so lighter colors are preferred. What interior colors are offered? Black-black, black-gray, and dark brown and gray. At our age, we don’t eat sticky candy and smear it on the seats, so light colors would sure make it more comfortable to climb in the car you parked in the lot down town. I even prefer high quality cloth over leather, but nothing is available in the Limited models.

Exterior colors are much the same. Nearly all are dreary earth-tones, plus a refrigerator white, and a bland grayish white. Where are light blue, light and medium aqua, creamy yellow, warm white, copper, and gold, even some greens…and dare I say…two-tones?

Features? Well, in the five years I’ve owned this one, the third seat has never been sat in, so how about making the seat easily removable so I can use the covered area to store things we don’t want thieves to see? Ditto for the entertainment system. Five years and the screens in my van have never been turned on. I’m fine with being optional, but I don’t need or want them…but I would love having free upgrades to the navigation maps and Sirius subscription.

Another feature could be resurrected from 1959 Chrysler products…the swivel bucket seats. My wife isn’t the only one with serious back problems, but she has difficulty getting into all cars because of the way you have to twist to get in the seat.

And where did the nice features go? Rear vent windows, dual glove boxes, Under-seat storage, I can’t begin to use all that cup storage, but the console ones could be larger diameter so insulated metal cups would fit instead of allowing them to spill if you have to brake hard.

We aren’t the only retirees with small pets, but no one makes a pet seat where they can see out the window. We’ve tried several. How about a Mopar accessory that mounts on the console between and behind the front passengers?

Speaking of consoles, it seems everything designed since the premium version on my ’08 T&C has become less and less useful.

Now that the spare has moved inside, how about a bin on the floor in front of the console that is insulated and has an outside drain so a couple of soft drinks could be stored in ice? That alone would convince my wife to buy!

Those are just off the top of my head, and I know they probably offer nothing to soccer moms, but I guarantee you that many retirees with disposable income would love them."

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
This is our fifth minivan and my wife’s daily driver and it just isn’t about kids anymore (and maybe never was). It is our “dry truck” and “family room on wheels” that can carry 4x8 sheets of building materials and when we think of all the non-kid related things we’ve used minivans for over the years we just don’t want to give up all that capability. We are “woke”, haha.

·
Registered
781 Posts
[edited]......

And where did the nice features go? Rear vent windows, dual glove boxes, Under-seat storage, I can’t begin to use all that cup storage, but the console ones could be larger diameter so insulated metal cups would fit instead of allowing them to spill if you have to brake hard.......

Speaking of consoles, it seems everything designed since the premium version on my ’08 T&C has become less and less useful....
[/I]
Didn't want to relist everything, but great points.

The console & glove boxes have been an irritant since day 1. And I don't know why they disappeared/downsized.

Maybe @ChryslerCares can point the designers to this and the "wish list" threads.

Wasn't aware that sales were down. Maybe it is some of the publicity about issues and the CR downgrade. But one other thing Chrysler really needs to work on is dealer service capacity. For me, that is one of the big bogeys when this lease is up -- two 2+ week stints in the shop -- and my feeling is that much of that time was due to an overloaded shop. And we have constant posts about dealers giving appointments two and three weeks out on critical issues -- that is one big downcheck for the brand. Mechanics at my dealer seem to have a 9 to 5 type day. They are open Saturday, but not for diagnostics. There is at least one dealer (not Chrysler ) in the area that had been advertising service to midnight. Yes, my daughter's dealer does not seem to have this issue, but it is one toll bridge and 40 minutes away. I know dealers are independent, but Chrysler can bring pressure on them to expand size or hours to get a reasonable turn-around.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts