2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’re about to buy 2022 hybrid Pacifica. It’s finally making its way to us. Got stuck in Nashville because of the weather, but hopefully it will be here soon.
We were debating whether we should buy or lease, one of our thoughts was how reliable is it? We currently have a Honda van and we haven’t done a thing to it other than regular maintenance. I wonder how does picifica compare??

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited AWD, Black/ Red "S" Appearance Package, PSS, 20" Foreshadow Wheels
318 Posts
In general, it's reliability has been spotty at best. From my own experience with the van, we leased a '17 Pacifica FWD Limited Gas model and put about 30K trouble free miles on it. We then purchased a '21 AWD Limited gas model ordered November of 2020 and picked up July 2021. We only have about 1K miles on it but early returns are awesome. We absolutely love it. Haven't really tested its AWD capability yet, we had snow today but it was quickly plowed away. I have driven it in a driving rainstorm and it was wonderful. In any case, I'd recommend getting an extended warranty. If you put decent mileage on this vehicle, that's when the problems seem to crop up, although some here have had trouble from the get-go. I think it's a great vehicle, but Consumer Reports and other magazines have reported it as a troublesome vehicle. You'll see plenty of unhappy people on this forum, but keep in mind people come here looking to vent and also to get help, so people are more likely to come here and complain and troubleshoot than to come here and tell you how fantastic the van is.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
150 Posts
13k on our '21.

Two major issues so far. First was complete shutdown/lockup of vehicle systems which necessitated being dragged in Park onto a flatbed to the dealer. Software glitch. No fix expected. Second was the failure of the hybrid battery heater. Extremely common right now but it's at least 30 days before parts availability (I am expecting longer) and the vehicle drives poorly and gets 20mpg in the meantime.

We love the van overall, but this definitely has me thinking this will be a short-term ownership for us when we own most of our vehicles for at least 10 years.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
This is not a vehicle with a great track record for reliability. We lease ours, and it would not be something I would buy to keep long term

Reactions: Tat

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
No reliability problems with my previous 2018 or my current 2021. Both have been excellent.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring AWD Velvet Red "S"
198 Posts
I have an AWD 21. Fantastic vehicle!
I bought it and plan to keep it for 10 years or more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To me personally, it’s a GOOD looking van. Ever since I saw it in Bad Moms movie, I’ve been in love. 2021 look is even better. I hope it runs smooth for us. I’ve had my Honda for 7 years with not a single issue, so I’ve been spoiled. But I had a VW Tiguan before that, and I loved it even more even with all the money I put in on a regular basis.
We’ve been debating to buy vs lease because of the reliability concerns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Reliability is definitely going to be a roll of the dice. You could have a trouble free 10 years, or you could... not.

I think the bigger issue is what happens when something does go wrong. It seems many Chrysler dealers do not have the experience or expertise to service such a complicated car, and they certainly don't stand behind their cars when something goes wrong. Maybe you'll get lucky with your local dealer though.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
2018 ehybrid limited no issues after 3 years , now 21 pinnacle ehybrid and no issues . I think if you base your answer on a forum you don’t really want vehicle . Todays vehicle , where’s Toyotas , does , gm , Tesla , Honda , etc are going to all have issues . Any purchase is just luck of the draw , so I’d you built 500,000 vehicles and you came on any forum and seen issues , glitches for some would that ultimately sway you . iPhone batteries junked out but people still bought phones , Kia had engine fires but people still bought the car , Honda had tranny problems but people still bought the car. I think if you drive one and liked it you’d decide if it works for you or not . Your next choice would also ended out the same potential outcome . Buy something you like , if your going to keep it long term , and purchase a extended warranty and enjoy whatever you bought . Good luck

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
821 Posts
Tat, since you're getting at a Pacifica Hybrid, if you decide to buy, I'd seriously recommend you get a Mopar extended warranty and have a lot of patience when taking it in for work. Many dealers still do not have enough qualified technicians. Perhaps after you read through the various hybrid subforums here you will get a sense of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a 2017 non-hybrid...worked great, no problems. Now I have a 2020 hybrid - not so much. I've had problems with the high voltage system. Well, ok, s..t happens. But what has been nearly unforgivable is that Chrysler and it's dealers have a very hard time fixing such issues. My van visited several dealers who couldn't, or wouldn't, diagnose and fix it. Finally got it to a dealer who would, but the van spent about 6 weeks there before the problem(s) were resolved.

Servicing the hybrid system requires specially certified technicians who bear almost no relationship to your typical auto mechanic. I think my current dealer has one. Not two, just one. I think I'd have a long talk with the service manager about their ability to service the hybrid system before I'd buy another one.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I think if you base your answer on a forum you don’t really want vehicle
Forums or any published measure of reliability. Chrysler and this vehicle are simply one of the lowest rated vehicles in the industry in terms of reliability, and they are consistently year in and year out. Does that mean you are definitely going to have issues? No...but it does mean statistically you are more likely to have issues with this vehicle than with a vehicle that is much more highly rated.

Now with that said, as a product its the best minivan. The best designed, best looking, best driving one...but reliability is the big downside. So, you have to decide what is most important to you.

Reactions: zhenya and Tat

·
Registered
105 Posts
I owned 2018 Pacifica which I traded for a 2021 Pacifica Hybrid. I loved the 2018, but when I had the chance to upgrade to the new 2021 Hybrid for a net of only $6K after government rebate, I jumped at the opportunity. Both have been free of any major problems. I don't count the tailgate having to be closed manually after having been open for 2 minutes (button fails to close it) a major problem. Which, BTW, has already been fixed with a recall. These are technologically advanced vehicles. They are bound to have minor issues like that. EVERY vehicle manufacturer has issues with their vehicles.

Remember that user forums are filled with people who have issues. It's why many go to a forum. Most buyers don't spend their time participating in car forums. How many tens of thousands of Pacifica Hybrids have been sold in the past 4 years vs. how many different users have posted to this forum? I'll bet its under 5% of owners.

So to your question of reliability, I would answer the van is reliable. It has ALWAYS gotten us from point A to point B in comfort. The Pacifica Hybrid is a fantastic vehicle. If I knew in 2018 what I learned in 2021 about Hybrids I would have bought the Hybrid in 2018. I imagine I'll be keeping my 2021 Pacifica Hybrid for a long, long time.

And I don't do extended warranties. EVER. On anything. I've saved tens of thousands of dollars over the years not buying extended warranties on vehicles, kitchen appliances, home entertainment electronics, computers, iPhones, etc. So at this point, any expenses that come my way will still put me far ahead financially. And guess what? I've not had any out of factory warranty issues. If I've had issues, its all been resolved under the factory warranty. Extended warranties are where companies make so much extra profit. Most extended warranties are never utilized, hence, the profit for the manufacturer. In a rare instance one vehicle will have major issues and the auto manufacturer will take a loss. But the majority of the time, it is pure profit. As for the advanced electronics in a battery-powered vehicle, a salesman will scare you with the cost to replace such things in 5-6 years when they are out of warranty. But if you do your homework, you will discover that battery operated items/vehicles will either have issues very soon, or their longevity is typically very high. That's my 2 cents. I know others have other opinions and anecdotal stories of how an extended warranty saved them thousands of dollars, but the reality is those stories are few and far between.

Enjoy your new Pacifica Hybrid. You'll love it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The issue is its not just anecdotal evidence on forums, that evidence is backed up with industry accepted statistics. And I have posted on car forums for 25 years, all variety of brands and there are way more serious issues reported here than you see on other forums. For instance, find threads on engine failures under 70,000 miles on a Toyota forum, you wont but we have 10+ members here that are currently in that situation.

Don't sugar coat it for people, Chrysler and the Pacifica have issues...for me I lease and I will get rid of it before its out of warranty and its a very good product, so I got another one after my terrible 2017, and its been better (but not perfect and it only has 10k miles)...but if you're going to buy it and keep it 10 years...I would think about it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I dion't know about always, but you are certainly right when it comes to extended warranties. Remember, the house always wins. If they didn't bring in more $ selling those warranties than they spend honoring them, they wouldn't sell them. In aggregate, you will virtually always be better off not buying insurance for an expense you can afford. Extended warranties are just an insurance policy, and not necessarily a good one. Insurance on a house makes sense, because although the likelihood of a catosrophic event is small, typical homeowners would not be able to afford to replace their house should that event occur. While you may not want to, if your cell phone broke, most of us probably could afford to replace it, so insurance on it (extended warranty) doesn't make sense because the house always win. In aggregate, you pay more for warranties than you get back because the business model couldn't exist any other way.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Extended warranties are just insurance policies. If you can comfortably shoulder a big repair at any time, then you don't need one. If you can't, or don't want to, then you do.

This vehicle can absolutely hand you a $5,000+ repair, so its not like nothing expensive can happen.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You are absolutely right that you can have an expensive repair, and if a significant one would absolutely break the bank yet you can afford an extended warranty (if that budgeting works out) then you should get the extended warranty. I would have to say that goes for virtually any vehicle on the road today that is more expensive than a bicycle.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts