2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
There were numerous actually, general car chat boards, bulletin boards, ClubLexus existed, etc.
Yeah, that's the same info I got when I Googled those years too.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 PacHy Pinnacle (Red), shipped as of 14Dec, ETA to SC now 24Jan-04Feb at earliest
51 Posts
I came here for updates on the newest model years and find out about availability.
My Jeep is way less reliable than any vehicle I’ve ever owned, but it’s also the most fun. That’s how I see my Pacifica purchase. I’m anticipating that I’m going to spend time angry at it, but hopefully all the good times will outweigh the bad. If it’s a major issue, I’ll lemon law it or go that route. I wish Chrysler had better reliability, but the reality is that they don’t. It’s just a value question for each buyer - where are your priorities?
The only thing I would add about extended warranties is that you are also purchasing peace of mind. For some people, that’s basically worthless. For others, that can completely change the experience of a vehicle.

I kind of chuckle when people bash each other on here over reliability questions and get all worked up trying to justify one view or another. Just let everyone make up their own minds. The stats and stories are out there. Nobody is likely going to change any one’s mind with one post on here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is not a vehicle with a great track record for reliability. We lease ours, and it would not be something I would buy to keep long term
Do you get the tax credit in any way with the lease? Is the lease price based on with or without the tax credit?

·
Registered
101 Posts
... find threads on engine failures under 70,000 miles on a Toyota forum, you wont but we have 10+ members here that are currently in that situation.

Don't sugar coat it for people, Chrysler and the Pacifica have issues...for me I lease and I will get rid of it before its out of warranty and its a very good product, so I got another one after my terrible 2017, and its been better (but not perfect and it only has 10k miles)...but if you're going to buy it and keep it 10 years...I would think about it.
10+ vehicles out of 500,000+ Pacifica's sold? I'm surprised it's that low. Especially when you factor in the hybrid has a gas engine AND electric motor, and the tech is very new.

The fact that you repurchased the exact same vehicle after having a "terrible" experience is really, really interesting. If I had a terrible experience with an automobile, and I held the belief that the manufacturer has issues, I'd be a fool to purchase another one.

·
Registered
393 Posts
We've had our 2020 for a year with 15k miles and no issues so far

Reactions: Tat

·
Registered
562 Posts
Almost 5 years now with my 2017 gas. Still loving it with no major problems. Just bought a 2022 Pachy. And I also DO NOT buy extented warranties. I keep my money.

Reactions: Tat and SunChips24

·
Registered
17 Posts
We currently have a Honda van and we haven’t done a thing to it other than regular maintenance.
Traded in our Odyssey for a 2021 PacHy - best automotive move we've made. Huge upgrade - and no problems so far worth mentioning.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I came here for updates on the newest model years and find out about availability.
My Jeep is way less reliable than any vehicle I’ve ever owned, but it’s also the most fun. That’s how I see my Pacifica purchase. I’m anticipating that I’m going to spend time angry at it, but hopefully all the good times will outweigh the bad. If it’s a major issue, I’ll lemon law it or go that route. I wish Chrysler had better reliability, but the reality is that they don’t. It’s just a value question for each buyer - where are your priorities?
The only thing I would add about extended warranties is that you are also purchasing peace of mind. For some people, that’s basically worthless. For others, that can completely change the experience of a vehicle.
This is very good advice and mirrors my viewpoint on it too. I had two Grand Cherokees, my 2011 was awful, like my 2017 Pacifica was...but I replaced it with a 2014 that was much better. Same with my Pacifica.

Chrysler makes a VERY compelling vehicle. You just have to recognize that reliability is a huge mixed bag. Lots of people buy Land Rovers and BMWs etc knowing they have a higher liklihood of problems too. You just have to go into it with your eyes open and a realistic set of expectations.

Do you get the tax credit in any way with the lease? Is the lease price based on with or without the tax credit?
Yes and no. The finance company gets the credit, and they may or may not pass it on to you. So the answer is, its negotiable. My Pacificas are gas so I dont have that issue.

10+ vehicles out of 500,000+ Pacifica's sold? I'm surprised it's that low. Especially when you factor in the hybrid has a gas engine AND electric motor, and the tech is very new.
10 people that posted here. There are undoubtedly many more that haven't posted here. Having 10 people on a forum that have experienced total engine failure under 70,000 miles is VERY VERY unusual. Those issues are with the gas engine, not the hybrid engine. They're just an example of the sorts of quality and reliability issues we're talking about.

And there is nothing new about the hybrid tech in the Pacifica. This sort of hybrid has been around for 20 years.

The fact that you repurchased the exact same vehicle after having a "terrible" experience is really, really interesting. If I had a terrible experience with an automobile, and I held the belief that the manufacturer has issues, I'd be a fool to purchase another one.
It goes back to the product being really good and the alternatives being a huge compromise. I lease like I said, so I'm only stuck with one vehicle for 3 years. if I were buying to keep 10 years no way I would buy a Pacifica or any other Chrysler.

Reactions: kronos571

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our 2020 is certainly a lemon. Just not sure what else to buy... the 30 miles electric range is perfect for around town without range anxiety for long trips. If Toyota released a PHEV minivan this thing would be gone in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Our 2020 is certainly a lemon. Just not sure what else to buy... the 30 miles electric range is perfect for around town without range anxiety for long trips. If Toyota released a PHEV minivan this thing would be gone in a heartbeat!
Thats the problem, there is nothing else to buy. Sienna Hybrid would be the only alternative, and its not a PHEV and is not nearly as well designed a package as the Pacifica.

You would have to go to a PHEV crossover and spend way more money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What issues did you have?
I’d love to see a hybrid Odyssey with it’s reliability.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
What issues did you have?
I’d love to see a hybrid Odyssey with it’s reliability.
One of the reasons why I stayed with the Pacifica, is if you look at the Odysseys track record, its not much better. Hondas reputation for quality & reliability is based on 20 years ago, today they really don't live up to that. So, going to an Odyssey would mean doing without many features of the Pacifica for not much better on the reliability front.

If you want reliability in a minivan, you really need to go to Toyota. Kia is not a bad bet either, but long term not as sure a thing as Toyota.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I put 33k trouble-free miles on my 2018 PacHy which I bought new, traded it in for another new 2021 PacHy last year and currently have 11,300mi on it. 2/3rds of these miles on both vehicles are logged as electric, it is worth every penny

·
Registered
101 Posts
10 people that posted here. There are undoubtedly many more that haven't posted here. Having 10 people on a forum that have experienced total engine failure under 70,000 miles is VERY VERY unusual. Those issues are with the gas engine, not the hybrid engine. They're just an example of the sorts of quality and reliability issues we're talking about.
No, there undoubtedly aren't many more. You may feel that is the case because of your bias against Chrysler, but you need data, not just your feelings. And, most people do seek out a forum and post when they have trouble like complete engine failure. BTW - who are the ten users who have had problems? You seem to have counted them, so please post their user names since it is already public. I'd be curious if it's really even ten, or just a few people repeatedly posting getting counted multiple times. Even if it is ten, at a 1 in 50,000 ratio, that's hardly a quality and reliability issue and not something for a future owner to be concerned about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I put 33k trouble-free miles on my 2018 PacHy which I bought new, traded it in for another new 2021 PacHy last year and currently have 11,300mi on it. 2/3rds of these miles on both vehicles are logged as electric, it is worth every penny
That’s awesome!

Did you buy a fast charger?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If you want reliability in a minivan, you really need to go to Toyota. Kia is not a bad bet either, but long term not as sure a thing as Toyota.
My Honda was a 2015, middle level trim, but I guess I got lucky.
We’re getting Pacifica Pinnacle, so I’m very excited about all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That’s awesome!

Did you buy a fast charger?
No just L1 overnight at home mostly, and some L2 charging at work. Volta free charging around town too. Admittedly I do try and actively manage staying on electric, so that's part of it. But it certainly is possible without too much trouble. Also van does count coasting when engine is off as electric too, so during times of hybrid operation you also get some small electric mileage added to the stats. But yeah this is all taken from the trip computer on the vehicle.

Reactions: Tat

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
No, there undoubtedly aren't many more. You may feel that is the case because of your bias against Chrysler, but you need data, not just your feelings. And, most people do seek out a forum and post when they have trouble like complete engine failure. BTW - who are the ten users who have had problems? You seem to have counted them, so please post their user names since it is already public. I'd be curious if it's really even ten, or just a few people repeatedly posting getting counted multiple times. Even if it is ten, at a 1 in 50,000 ratio, that's hardly a quality and reliability issue and not something for a future owner to be concerned about.
I don't have a bias against Chrysler lol, I have bought 4 Chryslers...two after having bad experiences with the first two. Why would I do that if I had a bias against Chrysler? I just have a realistic understanding of Chrysler's struggle with quality and reliability. Of course multiple posts of engine failure is something that people buying this vehicle need to be concerned about LOL, and of course a small % of people post on forums, so people are having issues and not posting on forums.

Read the forums, there are numerous current threads on the engine failure topic, and in several of those posts they list the people who have had the issue in response to that very statement.

You don't do prospective purchasers any favors by candy coating the truth. Chrysler is consistently at the bottom of the industry when it comes to reliability...thats just a fact. Doesn't mean you shouldnt buy the Pacifica, you should just understand the realities before you decide to do so.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You don't do prospective purchasers any favors by candy coating the truth. Chrysler is consistently at the bottom of the industry when it comes to reliability...thats just a fact. Doesn't mean you shouldnt buy the Pacifica, you should just understand the realities before you decide to do so.
I'm not candy coating anything. I just want factual information instead of bias and misinformation, especially for something so important as a new car purchase. I'd still like to know the name of the ten people who have posted about total engine failures. Or is it only three or four in reality?

Here is what a top google search on the topic pulled up from enginepatrol.com, written in October 2021, bolded sections for emphasis and most pertinent to the OP's concern:

-------------------------------
How Many Miles Can You Expect from a Chrysler Pacifica?

Having only been around for a relatively short amount of time there’s not a huge amount of historical data for the Pacifica, however we’ve made an educated projection to give you a better idea of what to expect.

The modern-day Pacifica features the tried and true Chrysler Pentastar engine – this engine has been around since 09, known for its reliability and durability its widely used across many other vehicles from Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler and Ram.

Typically these engines should last around 200,000 – 250,000 miles before failing, and at this stage in the minivans life it will make more sense financially to replace the vehicle.

Chrysler has a great reputation when it comes to building robust minivans and there’s no reason why the Pacifica should be any different.

Based on the track record of its predecessor, the Town & Country, the new Pacifica should be able to last a very, very long time.

Although it’s a new model that’s still in its first generation, there are anecdotal reports on forums from Pacifica owners who have cruised past the 100,000-mile mark with no major issues, which is a good early sign.

The Pacifica Hybrid will be more complicated to repair than the Pentastar-powered models however it does come with a 10-year/100,000-mile High Voltage Battery Limited Warranty that will cover any issues with the battery.

Of course, the longevity of your Pacifica will depend on how well you take care of it and its life expectancy will be cut short if you avoid:

• Using quality OEM parts
  • Service appointments
  • Routine oil changes
  • Tire rotations
  • Driving smoothly
  • Towing within the 3600 lbs limit

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
What is "enginepatrol.com"?! I'll listen to JD Power and Consumer Reports, and trust the experiences I myself have had and what has been shared here.

The engine failure issue is also just one example, there are many common complaints that are discussed here at length. Just scroll through the forums.

Product Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

21 - 40 of 55 Posts