2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first two months of the ownership I didn't know that system existed and it was bliss. Once I learned about it, the sound quickly became annoying and I knew I had to get rid of it. It can be accomplished by disconnecting the speaker or the control module. The manual says to remove the bumper to access the speaker or to disassemble a half of the dashboard to get to the module. Luckily, it can be done with a minimal intrusion and the whole procedure takes 5 minutes.

1. Move the steering wheel to the top and pull it back.
2. Remove the left cowl cover. It is done by peeling back the door seal just a little bit and pulling the cowl toward the rear of the vehicle. It is held by clips. I managed to do it with my bare hands.

3. Grab the left part of the dashboard cover and pull it towards the rear of the vehicle. You should be able to see the module on the left from the steering column. It is impossible to get a good picture of the module, it is pretty deep in there.

4 Continue pulling the dashboard cover with your left hand and reach the module with your right hand, inserting it between the dashboard cover and the flexible steering column boot.
5. You will be able to find the connector on the right side of the module. Push on the retainer and unplug the connector. Be delicate, when the retainer is disengaged the connector is easy to disconnect.
5. Snap back the dashboard cover and reinstall the cowl cover.

There is not much room to insert the hand, but you should be able to do it- if you're not Andre the Giant

When I tried to test the mod, the shifter wouldn't move from park. After a couple of "oh, $#%" seconds I remembered that the van was plugged in. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
What sound are you talking about?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Done., !!! Thanks for the instruction! that is the BEST BEST BEST BEST ever mod I have done, to any cars.. its better than getting tint, wheels, suspension, supercharger, turbo... LOL

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
What sound are you talking about?
It is only on the hybrid - there is a "Quiet Vehicle Pedestrian Module" that broadcasts a sound to warn nearby pedestrians that a vehicle is approaching. It is only active at slow speeds, but does change pitch as the Pac speeds up. I really don't notice it, but then again, I'm old and have been a professional aviator for over 30 years, so my hearing is shot. It doesn't seem to rise above the level of my tinnitus.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My Honda PHEV has the same thing (it activates when the car starts moving up until 12mph).

Imagine God forbid you hit a pedestrian and the investigation finds you disabled the pedestrian alert system that the manufacturer built into the car. The lawsuit brought against you would grow 10-fold. Just my 2-cents.

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Honda PHEV has the same thing (it activates when the car starts moving up until 12mph).

Imagine God forbid you hit a pedestrian and the investigation finds you disabled the pedestrian alert system that the manufacturer built into the car. The lawsuit brought against you would grow 10-fold. Just my 2-cents.
There will not be any serious investigation, because the driver would always be considered at at fault. Are you going to argue that he/she should have heard you coming and run away? Even if the pedestrian literally jumped in front of you and you had no technical ability to stop, without the dashcam recording you would still be at fault.
The warning system on BMW i3 can be turned on and off through the menu. The use of it is optional and the safety benefits are questionable at best.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yes, particularly if you hit an old professional aviator with shot hearing!!! >:)

Reactions: seo68

·
Registered
565 Posts
The use of it is optional and the safety benefits are questionable at best.
I wouldn't say questionable.

I am glad to hear it from other cars when I'm walking in a parking lot just so I'm aware there is a vehicle nearby, especially with my kids. And imagine if you are blind or visually impaired.

These "pedestrian speakers" are being added to vehicles (and will be standard soon) for a reason... the NHTSA even published a report that low speed incidents with EVs and pedestrians/bicyclists are higher:

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811204

So at least turn up your radio and roll down your windows when you are backing out of parking stall. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So at least turn up your radio and roll down your windows when you are backing out of parking stall. :)
When an ICE car is backing out, the engine sound coming out of the muffler can be heard. But the sound from the front firing speaker located behind the front bumper won't reach the area behind the van.

I don't advocate this mod, it is a personal choice. The noise generator is not mandatory for 2017- 2018 vehicles, and disabling it is not illegal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As a cyclist, I gotta say that I'd really prefer that you not disable this system. I rely on all of my senses to keep track of what's happening around me and sound is a critical part of that. I've encountered some of the early, silent, electric cars and they really can just sneak up on me - I have no idea anything else is on the road with me...and then there they are. (It's worse if they've got a dog hanging out the window and it chooses to bark before I know anything is there!)

Your choice, of course, but my 0.02.

Dave

·
Registered
369 Posts
It's not illegal, but my view is that it's inconsiderate. I agree that the system is a clunky fix to a real problem, but a clunky fix is better than no fix.

Tesla is thinking in the direction of a system that turns on when it senses a pedestrian/bike/animal and directs the noise toward them. Much better, but that's Tesla for ya.

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a cyclist, I gotta say that I'd really prefer that you not disable this system. I rely on all of my senses to keep track of what's happening around me and sound is a critical part of that. I've encountered some of the early, silent, electric cars and they really can just sneak up on me - I have no idea anything else is on the road with me...and then there they are. (It's worse if they've got a dog hanging out the window and it chooses to bark before I know anything is there!)

Your choice, of course, but my 0.02.

Dave
The warning system is on only at speeds below 20MPH. You should invest in a helmet mounted mirror. I have to say that I tried to ride a bicycle on public roads and found the whole experience unnerving and risky above my level of risk tolerance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The warning system is on only at speeds below 20MPH. You should invest in a helmet mounted mirror. I have to say that I tried to ride a bicycle on public roads and found the whole experience unnerving and risky above my level of risk tolerance.
Well...I sometimes use a mirror. But I don't spend my time gazing in the mirror - I'm much more focused on what's ahead of me. Of course, I do check the mirror if I hear something coming!

Dave

·
Registered
565 Posts
Does the pitch of the noise change with speed?
Yes it does.

What I'm wondering if that speaker output interferes with my AM radio reception. I usually listen to XM (if not under a bridge) but on AM, you can hear the speed change on the broadcast as you go faster or slower.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this write up. Followed your steps and it worked like a charm! Finally got rid of that annoying sound and can enjoy the beauty of driving an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
THANK YOU!!! You my friend just made me very happy. 5 minutes and I was done. I was going to be removing the front bumper in the near future and planned to unplug it then, but this was too easy! Thank you again .. I can not stress how much that sound irrated me. I get some people's comments on sneaking up on people but that sound was horrible. Maybe I'll replace it with another sound in the future or just use my horn when people are walking down the middle of the parking lot looking down at their phones instead of their surroundings ;)

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm just waiting for Knight Industries to come out with their KITT sound module.... actually I'd prefer Battlestar Galactica Cylons saying "stand clear of the advancing vehicle."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts