2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Answering a question from another topic... Disconnecting the speaker will not set any codes and will not show up in the dealer's diagnostic tool. The control module for the speaker (PACU) is not connected to the CAN bus at all and is controlled by the BCM with no feedback. My van had several repairs, including a major one since I disconnected the speaker, no questions about the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have several better pictures to share. When I wrote the first post, I didn't know that a harder pull on the dashboard cover under the steering wheel would give better access to the module, making it easier to identify and disconnect.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is a great update, stop-eject.

I'd be curious if anyone identifies if there's just one wire that can be cut to also disable it (eg, a '+' or '-' that goes to the speaker). While most would probably just want to unplug it as a semi-permanent solution, I see value in wiring up a small toggle or non-momentary switch to allow the driver to turn it on or off based on driving conditions. Would be quite easy to take it that one step further. And they're literally only 71 cents shipped on ebay. Indeed, some Euro versions of PHEV/BEVs even have toggle switches built in for their pedestrian sound.

Reactions: Frig

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is a great update, stop-eject.

I'd be curious if anyone identifies if there's just one wire that can be cut to also disable it (eg, a '+' or '-' that goes to the speaker). While most would probably just want to unplug it as a semi-permanent solution, I see value in wiring up a small toggle or non-momentary switch to allow the driver to turn it on or off based on driving conditions. Would be quite easy to take it that one step further. And they're literally only 71 cents shipped on ebay. Indeed, some Euro versions of PHEV/BEVs even have toggle switches built in for their pedestrian sound.
Yes, you can install a toggle switch in the pin 8 wire.

These times I often walk around the neighborhood with cars slowly passing by. Many newer cars are so quiet. I can't hear the engine or exhaust. All sound comes from the tires and I can't hear a difference between Toyota Corolla and Tesla Model 3. Maybe the speaker will make difference at the very low speeds, 5MPH or less.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well this explains allot, I reached out to my friend who is a tech at Chrysler when I opened my dash this is what I found on my 20 Hybrid. Apparently its now located in the rear passenger side fender. I need to remove the back plastic pieces. Oh joy.

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
They moved the module for 2020. I can't imagine why. The spot where it used to be looks empty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Me either, probably to eliminate us from unplugging it. If I can get some charts on how to take apart the rear plastic, I will update this page to help someone else, My buddy said the qvpm now has a speaker built into it. Well at least according to the description he has access to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any updates on disabling this for the 20s? Wish I would’ve went to page 2 before I went out there scratching my head for 10 minutes as to where this (now relocated) module is. :LOL:

·
Registered
484 Posts
That sound has been extremely annoying to me since owning for over a year now. I was able to unplug the cable without taking the dash apart by popping out the fake transmission release plug to see the location of the box through the hole. I then reached up from under the dash, pushed the pin, and unplugged the cable. Took a whole 15 secs to do. It is also very easy to plug the cable back in as well.

Reactions: dotbot
21 - 29 of 29 Posts