2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That the lowest price in the USA is $1.77/gallon as of today, and .69C CDN/liter in Toronto?

US Average Gas Prices by State

Oil price war will certainly make a major dent in (PH)EV sales.

Reactions: craig

·
Registered
311 Posts
I care more about my carbon footprint than the cost... And no matter how cheap gas gets, electricity from our solar panels will still be cheaper! :)

But yeah, it's the usual story. Every time gas price drops people buy gas guzzlers and then when it completely predictably goes up again they bitch and moan about how much money they have to spend on gas... Even though, compared to Europe, Americans still pay next to nothing for gas.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fill my van from my solar too, but the capital cost and maintenance of the panels negates your statement about panels always being cheaper. It's still fun to have the gas pump in my own garage.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I fill my van from my solar too, but the capital cost and maintenance of the panels negates your statement about panels always being cheaper. It's still fun to have the gas pump in my own garage.
I already have the panels, so the capital is already sunk. But yeah, if you're thinking of installing new ones then it's a different matter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
With the time of day pricing we have in northern Illinois, electric operation is half the cost of gas but in Maine where we spend the summer, it's going to be a wash. With gas prices so low, those people who are only looking at a hybrid as an economic proposition, will be going with gas.

·
Registered
311 Posts
With the time of day pricing we have in northern Illinois, electric operation is half the cost of gas but in Maine where we spend the summer, it's going to be a wash. With gas prices so low, those people who are only looking at a hybrid as an economic proposition, will be going with gas.
With the $7500 tax rebate, is the hybrid really more expensive than the gas version, though?

Personally, I also prefer the planetary gearset drivetrain than a traditional automatic transmission, so to me there are other advantages with the hybrid. I'm not sure those alone outweigh the loss of stow and go though.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The mileage alone was s the reason I bought it . Here in Ontario Canada ?? the price is about .75 cents for gas and cost for me to plug in while out is zero . Tax payers and corporations assume the cost of the Chargeports. The 14 thousand dollar cheque the government sent me when I purchased it was just a super bonus . The drivetrain is far superior to the ice version so the choice was a no brainer . I think right now that buying cars is the last thing people are about , yeah the economy is sort of a free fall indeed. So if winter driving with snow tires on gets me 40 mpg I’ll take it , 20 inch summers I’ll be around 50 mpg so whose laughing now . Money ? in my pocket is better than in somebody else’s
6FA8F5DB-CFA4-478D-84F8-8B4F389E0009.jpeg

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
The mileage alone was s the reason I bought it . Here in Ontario Canada ?? the price is about .75 cents for gas and cost for me to plug in while out is zero . Tax payers and corporations assume the cost of the Chargeports. The 14 thousand dollar cheque the government sent me when I purchased it was just a super bonus . The drivetrain is far superior to the ice version so the choice was a no brainer . I think right now that buying cars is the last thing people are about , yeah the economy is sort of a free fall indeed. So if winter driving with snow tires on gets me 40 mpg I’ll take it , 20 inch summers I’ll be around 50 mpg so whose laughing now . Money ? in my pocket is better than in somebody else’s View attachment 43361
Gas price will not remain this low for very long, a hand full of months at most. That being said there is no more 14K rebate checks being handed out in Ontario and truthfully that was my impediment to getting a hybrid when buying my Pacifica.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've confirmed that in Canada, if you use the car for business, you can write off 100% the first year. This is a substantial benefit, perhaps in the $14,000-$30,000 area depending on your tax bracket.

·
Registered
599 Posts
That the lowest price in the USA is $1.77/gallon as of today, and .69C CDN/liter in Toronto?

US Average Gas Prices by State

Oil price war will certainly make a major dent in (PH)EV sales.
I can tell you for sure that $1.77 is not the lowest price in US. The Sam’s Club in our town has been at $1.68 for several days and I have seen reports of gas as low as $1.38 in TX. Just FYI...

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
340 Posts
But how do your retirement funds look with this cheap gas? I've been hit to the tune of 27% as of last night.

As said earlier, this too will pass and things should get back to normal, eventually.

Reactions: m0ebius604

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think right now the govt , federal , is giving back 8000 into the sale price . Gas here in Ontario is between . 69-.75 cents litre . Gas in buffalo is about 1.84 gallon . No master what drive it needs gas and electricity or just electricity. I’ve been looking at Tesla Model X p100d or 100d . I’ll only pull plug when it comes with free supercharging for life thou . And no the govt gave me a cheque when I bought the car , any other write offs are done when do ones taxes .

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I can tell you for sure that $1.77 is not the lowest price in US. The Sam’s Club in our town has been at $1.68 for several days and I have seen reports of gas as low as $1.38 in TX. Just FYI...
You all wouldnhate to pay what we’ve been paying for the last 5 years.. In BC Canada it was 1.78/Liter just last year! Thats $6.90gallon out of my pocket.. its now $1.11/Liter and we feel like their giving it away! We haven't paid $1.11/L since the 90’s here

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve been tempted to buy a new Pachy multiple times over the last couple of years. But what’s really tempting are all the 2018 limited gassers going for 23k or less all over California. Or a 2019 Touring L for 21k or less. For me, it makes it tough to justify new when half your value is up in smoke in 2 years or less. But I still love the Pacifica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
I’ve been tempted to buy a new Pachy multiple times over the last couple of years. But what’s really tempting are all the 2018 limited gassers going for 23k or less all over California. Or a 2019 Touring L for 21k or less. For me, it makes it tough to justify new when half your value is up in smoke in 2 years or less. But I still love the Pacifica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are these pre-owned? That really surprises me because I thought a Pacifica would hold a high resale value. I

·
Registered
374 Posts
My dealer has a sign up in the waiting area listing the cars it's looking to buy. Near the top of the list is "ANY FCA MINIVAN". Go figure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought another (used) Pac hybrid this week. Let me tell you, they are selling just fine.

I had to drive 240 miles (from Cincinnati) to get mine. I had it narrowed down to two, and one of them was sold by the time I got there.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yeah , maybe the ice ones but our electric ones are pretty rare . On our 2 week trip to Florida keys I only came across 3 . **** that is pretty rare if I do say so .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are these pre-owned? That really surprises me because I thought a Pacifica would hold a high resale value. I
Sorry for the late reply. I work in healthcare, so you can imagine how slow it's been lately. :)

To clarify, I was referring to used ICE Pacificas, which is why I mentioned "gassers". If you don't mind buying a previous rental, I've seen 2018 Limiteds are Hertz for 23k and less and 2019 Touring Ls for <20 k. Dealers typically have similar vehicles or 1.5-2 k more. That's why I was saying it's hard to justify spending close to 40k AFTER rebates (taxes and registration are a bear here in Cali) when I can get a 1-2 yo model with 40 k miles for half that. I love the idea of a plug in hybrid but I love the idea of saving 20 k more. I could never make up the difference in saved fuel.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts