2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Have you seen a Cummins or power stroke diesel. Compare apples to apples if your going to use comparisons . Time will tell when they release the sienna . By way , do the math because I’m curious where the battery is going to go with the gas tank and the motors that they use . Put I gotta day “ I hope they do something because I don’t know what’s more hideous the exterior or the interior of that sienna .

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
i Agree to disagree . Gas is cheap and all the affordability is there , but when gas shoots up again the affordability plummets . I prefer to roll the dice on the side of caution , cheaper electricity , free charging and cheap gas . No matter what , once you have driven ehybrid you realize the dollar savings cheap gas or not . The pendulum has swung , question is just for how long though.
I’ve done the math and the Pachy isnt actually a no brainer every where..

Lots of the US charges over 17c a kWh when fuel was $1.25/Gallon (before the economy crashed).. some regions are over 30c a kWh and the public charge infrastructure is a pay per use system thats very pricy - that doesn't encourage EV market growth either.

It took me a while to get my brain wrapped around that concept - that where you are determines if the vehicle is cost effective. when I ran my numbers, I’d have to be broke or an idiot to not buy the Pachy in BC, Canada. We hold the records for the highest fuel prices in North America, with some of the most affordable electricity rates not to mention free public charging.. Its a perfect storm for EV ownership..

I now don't spend $6000 a year in fuel costs (I’m not actually saving anything because I have rolled that money into my expensive $60,000cdn asset).. But Initially, I have to admit that I couldn’t understand why anyone wouldn't jump on this vehicle over any other minivan! All I could see is that dollar for dollar, the longer I run this van the cheaper it gets. By the end of its hybrid battery warranty period it will be like I didnt buy the van - just basically pay for the fuel to use it!

I consider that a huge win. After all its a beautiful machine so I can roll in style and spend no more than I would have anyway in the long run.

Places like Massachusetts or Hawaii this is a completely different outcome! Try that math out and you will be paying up to double to drive electric if your not using solar. So everyone has a different position the prices of resources put us in. And the Pachy isnt for everyone. You would have to be weathly enough that the new
technology, Carbon footprint and the green lifestyle that comes with them are your priorities.

Feel privileged because we’re among some of the most fortunate owners:)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yupp, agreed . I didn’t pay 60 grand for mine . My cost was 50 grand and I also decided to take the 14000.00 cheque from the govt and not deduct it from the vehicle . Gas and electricity savings aside the guys driving ice pacificas aren’ getting over 40 mpg like iam . It was a matter of timing and rolling the dice . I looked at a model x 100p and did the math . The only way this would have worked for me is free lifetime supercharging and keeping it for 10 yrs . I’m not keeping the Pacifica for more than 4 , next choices are electric Jeep grand wagonner or full on electric portal . I’m not a fan of Tesla’s ability to own your software and add or delete things at their whim. Ford Mustang electric is pretty ugly and useless to me . Gm can’t do anything right , just ask Cadillac . And now Honda wants to use gm’s electric platform , dumb move on their part . Tesla has technology but crappy build processes, quality and software rights that are plain ludicrous for what your paying . I just know that gas prices won’t stay low forever and am enjoying the free stuff as long as available . Small electric vehicles make zero sense to me , happy motoring and stay safe .

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yupp, agreed . I didn’t pay 60 grand for mine . My cost was 50 grand and I also decided to take the 14000.00 cheque from the govt and not deduct it from the vehicle . Gas and electricity savings aside the guys driving ice pacificas aren’ getting over 40 mpg like iam . It was a matter of timing and rolling the dice . I looked at a model x 100p and did the math . The only way this would have worked for me is free lifetime supercharging and keeping it for 10 yrs . I’m not keeping the Pacifica for more than 4 , next choices are electric Jeep grand wagonner or full on electric portal . I’m not a fan of Tesla’s ability to own your software and add or delete things at their whim. Ford Mustang electric is pretty ugly and useless to me . Gm can’t do anything right , just ask Cadillac . And now Honda wants to use gm’s electric platform , dumb move on their part . Tesla has technology but crappy build processes, quality and software rights that are plain ludicrous for what your paying . I just know that gas prices won’t stay low forever and am enjoying the free stuff as long as available . Small electric vehicles make zero sense to me , happy motoring and stay safe .
Mine was $60k after the $5000 rebate but with tax. Still money I had to spend but little deceiving.. I always try to focus on the bottom line because this is where the true value is found. Like when I was looking at spending $60k on the Hybrid, vrs spending $60k on a gas model what I see is the hybrid is $60k over 10years and the gas model (for my driving habits here in BC) is $92,200 in the same 10 years.. thats 25mpg or 9.5L/100km is $60k plus 23,750L which is normally around another $32,200 + $60k.

My father in law insisted that spending double the window sticker price between a run of the mill grand caravan and a top of the line pachy was a waste of money.. but he only sees as far as the sticker prices.. He urged me to stay in my temporary 2016 Grand Caravan I had to buy (because of the 2017 PIM recall delays which overlapped my need for the van, I then re-ordered the 2018 like so many others). I got the GC for $32k, and it was getting real world 16L/100km (14.75MPG).. and I simply wouldn't afford it - Why on earth drive a $32k van that eats $54.4k in fuel over 10years? That works out to $86,400 Bottom line. Might as welldrive the Pacifica limited gasser and have a overall nicer experience. He just couldnt get it.. But now he does when I’m only putting in 1.5 tanks of gas a year..

I tried to see if I could fly to Toronto to get the $14,000 off and just drive back but found it was a no go, wouldnt get it anyway because I wasnt a resident. We do have a Provincial $6,000 scrap it program that I planned on using that is in addition to the $5000 off at the point of sale, but this was subject to running out of funds which always does by November.. which happens to when FCA delivers the Pachy’s..

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yeah it had to registered in Ontario to dry the monies . The problem was when the pc announced the end of the rebate program there really weren’t any vehicles to choose from . My friend owns a dealership and he just texted me to say he’d move it off lot at his cost to buy . I said “ sold “ I didn’t care colour or options ( lucky it had everything optioned on it thou ) .

41 - 45 of 45 Posts