2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am traveling alone in my pachy and dont want to run the heat in the winter to try to prevent the ICE from I leave the HVAC off (which seems to work). The windows sometimes fog up and I am forced to turn the hvac on, which invariably starts the engine up (and uses tons of battery power), if I turn the temperature down it still is pretty much the same (and defrost I understand turns the A/C on which certainly turns on the ICE).

So the question: Is there a way to blow some air on the windows, defog and not freeze to death without using ICE?

Btw my wife says I am an idiot, and should roll the window down (and freeze to death).

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I am traveling alone in my pachy and dont want to run the heat in the winter to try to prevent the ICE from I leave the HVAC off (which seems to work). The windows sometimes fog up and I am forced to turn the hvac on, which invariably starts the engine up (and uses tons of battery power), if I turn the temperature down it still is pretty much the same (and defrost I understand turns the A/C on which certainly turns on the ICE).

So the question: Is there a way to blow some air on the windows, defog and not freeze to death without using ICE?

Btw my wife says I am an idiot, and should roll the window down (and freeze to death).
I don’t have a PacHy but I didn’t by a Pacifica to NOT enjoy the creature comforts. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts

I preheat my Pachy while it's plugged in with the HVAC on auto set to a low temp. I then leave the HVAC on auto set to a low temp and use the seat and steering wheel heaters. With the van being preheated the HVAC uses little if and power, the battery is preheated and the ICE stays off unless I step on the gas hard. I started off trying to turn the HVAC off but found that when the windows fog up and I need to turn it on to clear the windows the ICE will come on. I’ll turn it off on days when the windows won’t fog.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you don't breathe then there's less moisture to build up on the windshield, but that might not be the best suggestion. The pre-heat seems to help keep the engine off and take the edge off the interior temps, which combined with the heated seats and steering wheel use a lot less energy.

One thing I've found works ok for mild fogging is to set the climate control for defrost then turn off. I can then press the "Off" button to toggle on to last setting (defrost) for about thirty seconds on low fan speed, then press Off again to switch off. For a half hour commute I've only had to do that three or four times and it isn't on long enough to cause the engine to fire up unless it was already coming on for battery temperature conditioning or extreme cold outside like the last couple days in the 20s.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you don't breathe then there's less moisture to build up on the windshield, but that might not be the best suggestion. The pre-heat seems to help keep the engine off and take the edge off the interior temps, which combined with the heated seats and steering wheel use a lot less energy.

One thing I've found works ok for mild fogging is to leave the climate control off and then press the front defroster button and run for about thirty seconds on low fan speed, then press again to switch off. For a half hour commute I've only had to do that three or four times and it isn't on long enough to cause the engine to fire up unless it was already coming on for battery temperature conditioning or extreme cold outside like the last couple days in the 20s.
That would be a good option if it works where you are without running the ICE. It must be a little colder where I’m at. I started out by doing what you are but every time I pressed the front defroster button the ICE would come on. The first time it would stay on long enough to warm up even after turning the defroster off.

·
Registered
788 Posts
OP, I know a guy who goes around the house without turning on the lights, in order to save money on the electric bill.
He tripped over a sewing machine his wife left on the floor by the door, and broke his femur. His leg is still not without pain.

"History may not repeat itself, but it often rhymes". -Mark Twain

·
Registered
228 Posts
I tend to use the seat and steering wheel warmers in cold weather, but I also keep the HVAC set at a "reasonable" low temperature. Maybe that's because I'll end up using the ICE on my commute home and I don't go out of way to prevent it from coming on. But I also acknowledge that I bought a Hybrid, not an EV, and the electric engine isn't at its best in winter weather.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the ultimate in economy, factory order the van without a heater or AC system. Weight savings would be a plus as well.
I already have a Miata that might one day go down the stripped out route, not sure my wife would appreciate it...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

Your wife sounds like a very sensible and intelligent person. After you freeze to death she should have no problem snagging a replacement. :grin2:

You have my permission, nay, urgent request, to run the defroster and keep the windows clear of fog in your 5000 lb. highway projectile.

I have to share the roads with you. The very thought of a fellow driver near me shivering, fretting over sight debilitating window fog, and in morbid fear his ICE may actually start up, is rather disconcerting. The planet will survive any eco-indiscretions you may commit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That would be a good option if it works where you are without running the ICE. It must be a little colder where I’m at. I started out by doing what you are but every time I pressed the front defroster button the ICE would come on. The first time it would stay on long enough to warm up even after turning the defroster off.
Electrical heat can be one of the most efficient ways to turn energy into heat, but there's a lot of thermal mass and air to heat up and it seems the electrical heating has to dump a ton of energy into climate control.

My personal thoughts is that I'd rather run the engine for short periods for a couple reasons. Even into 40 to 45%+ efficiency range of gas engines running the Atkinson cycle, it's still turning the rest of the potential energy into heat. By running it for short periods I can save the high-voltage battery to move the vehicle and let the engine warm the coolant used to keep the battery pack warmer for more range, maybe put a little surplus energy from charging back into the pack, and get the cabin a touch warmer and clear the windows.

You have my permission, nay, urgent request, to run the defroster and keep the windows clear of fog in your 5000 lb. highway projectile.
Isn't that what those practically* self-driving safety features are for? Who needs to see when you can just bounce between lanes and use adaptive cruise control. It might actually stop you in time!

*- Restrictions apply. May or may not lead to bad stuff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Waldo I was of course joking. I just figured a enterprising person figured out how to run the fan only...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Electrical heat can be one of the most efficient ways to turn energy into heat, but there's a lot of thermal mass and air to heat up and it seems the electrical heating has to dump a ton of energy into climate control.

My personal thoughts is that I'd rather run the engine for short periods for a couple reasons. Even into 40 to 45%+ efficiency range of gas engines running the Atkinson cycle, it's still turning the rest of the potential energy into heat. By running it for short periods I can save the high-voltage battery to move the vehicle and let the engine warm the coolant used to keep the battery pack warmer for more range, maybe put a little surplus energy from charging back into the pack, and get the cabin a touch warmer and clear the windows.
Most of my trips I can make on battery. As long as I preheat with it plugged in and leave the HVAC on auto it uses vary little power for the HVAC and the ICE never comes on and the windows stay clear. I normally keep it at 66 deg. and use the seat and steering wheel heat.

When it first got cold I would turn the HVAC off. Then when the windows would start fogging up I would turn on the defroster. The HVAC would then use about 7 KW and the ICE would come on. It would also blow cold air when I first turned it on. I found it was more confrontable and saved starting the ICE to just leave it on auto.

If I don’t preheat it then the ICE will run at first but I still leave the HVAC on auto and it won’t keep cycling the ICE back on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Question , i normally preheat my BMW x plug in before leaving on 240v, parked in our garage. The ICE will never start when its plugged in , never.

will the Pac hybrid preheat without starting the ice ? garage is usually 40 to 60 degrees.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The ICE will start if the van is started and it's cold enough. I don't know the exact temp it will start at but I think it might be 40 deg. And below.

You can press the start button twice without stepping on the brake to put it in run mode. It will then preheat without starting the ICE. When you are ready to drive step on the brake and press the start button again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Understand ice will start it vehicles is started below a certain temp but plugged in to 240v wall unit??

I can’t believe they set it up that way
Can anyone specifically say wetter or not the ice will run when the vehicle is plugged in?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Understand ice will start it vehicles is started below a certain temp but plugged in to 240v wall unit??

I can’t believe they set it up that way
Can anyone specifically say wetter or not the ice will run when the vehicle is plugged in?
Yes it will. My garage is insulated but not heated and I’ve never seen it get below freezing. I was starting my van to preheat it without the ICE coming on. One day when it was colder it was plugged in preheating and the ICE did came on. I know it was above freezing but I think below 40.

Now I press the start button twice without steeping on the break. The only downside is it will time out and turn off if you start preheating too long ahead of time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That’s a shame , many would like to pre-heat In a cold garage while plugged in to 240v . I have done this for years with my Leaf , BMW i3 (with range extender ice) and with my BMW X5 hybrid plug in , never ever would these cars start the ice during a pre heat plugged in, to dangerous and defeats the purpose of eVs
Chrysler should really fix this it’s a safety issue and just plan stupid programming

1 - 20 of 21 Posts