2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, love the car...these forums could use some modernization BTW.

I like the Pacifica on how it is organized inside, the price point and the features.

However, we do come from a Prius, and we've been eyeing the market of Minivans for some time, wishing someone would come out with a Hybrid version.

So FCA has done one better, a Plugin Hybrid!

But I'll be looking at whether...

- The spare tire is still kept in the back sidewall...this is a need for travelling families.
- The range is 30 or better on EV (ie, not overbloating the figure like other car companies).
- The MPG is close to the highlander hybrid or above in HYBRID mode. Some have said 30 mpgs, others have said 28 highway, 22 city? The new Highlander I believe gets 30 while the outgoing model got 28 city/highway.

Cheers if FCA can do this, then we have a winner and we'll buy ;P

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Welcome to the forum! According to the Pacifica brochure, the spare tire will not be available on the Hybrid. You could purchase the spare tire kit separately for around $300, but you'd have to find a place to put it. Since the hybrid also won't have the Stow-N-Go wells, you can't put it there. Not sure what will be in the normal spare tire spot in the hybrid since the vacuum is also not available.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
@generaltso I thought only the second row stow-n-go was removed, but that the third row still had it.
That's correct, the 3rd row will still have stow-n-go, though I don't really consider that overly special since every minivan has a fold flat 3rd row. I guess the spare could just be kept in the trunk space behind the 3rd row if it's never entirely stowed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 3rd row is a stow and go but you cannot put items in the floor with someone seated and if the seat is flipped down there is no floor space. The 2nd row in,the hybrid doesn't have the stow and go option but none of the other mini vans have that either and since the pacifica is the only one coming out with that option I guess there's not much play. Also depending on sales manager if they make a sale they tend to "throw in" an incentive and $300 off for a tire I m quite sure they would do that. Btw I own one of the pacifica touring l plus that came out before September. Mine was manufactured in June of 2016...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Semi-related (yet not): I recall reading that it is *RUMORED* (not confirmed in any way), that after the Hybrid version comes out, there might be a 1-2 year gap before they offer an ALL-Wheel-drive version where the rear wheels will be driven by a rear electric motor and the 3rd row stow-n-go seating will not be available due to the additional batteries/motor in THAT area of the vehicle. So from what I had read, there may be a AWD Hybrid Pacifica with no stow-n-go.

Question is: How many of you/us would forego stow-n-go for AWD...?
I would, in a heartbeat. I never use the 3rd-row as it is.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Question is: How many of you/us would forego stow-n-go for AWD...?
Chrysler has stated that the platform was designed to be able to incorporate AWD, so I think it's a fair guess that we may see an AWD option at some point in the future. I would guess that it will be a least a few years though. That being said, if AWD is was offered, I would absolutely be willing to give up the 2nd row Stow-n-Go for it. I really do like the Stow-n-Go feature, but AWD is more important to me living in an area that gets a lot of snow. The Pacifica will be the first vehicle in my family without AWD in about a dozen years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also be looking for 8 seats

Awd plugin hybrid would be real nice. Mpg hit but maybe higher capacity batteries by then to offer same ev distance.

FYI I saw a spare tire in a pacifica behind the 3 row in the left wall. Genius place to put it and it shouldn't be impacted because of batteries. Now... Where is the hybrid. Google was brave enough to Jumpstart it.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Awd plugin hybrid would be real nice.
I don't think we'll see an AWD hybrid. Powering the rear wheels would reduce the electric range and reduce fuel economy, which doesn't seem like a decision Chrysler would make for a vehicle that's purpose in life will be good fuel economy.

FYI I saw a spare tire in a pacifica behind the 3 row in the left wall. Genius place to put it and it shouldn't be impacted because of batteries.
Yeah, the spare tire spot wouldn't be impacted by the batteries. But it must be impacted by something else because the spare tire is not an option on the Hybrid.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Pacifica will be the first vehicle in my family without AWD in about a dozen years.
Similar for me... all of my vehicles have been AWD since 2006 and this is the first deviation from that. It's because of being so used to the sure-footedness of AWD during New England winters, that I opted to do dedicated winter tires for this front-wheel-drive Pacifica.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't think we'll see an AWD hybrid. Powering the rear wheels would reduce the electric range and reduce fuel economy, which doesn't seem like a decision Chrysler would make for a vehicle that's purpose in life will be good fuel economy.
This goes against MY understanding of how they designed the Pacifica "platform". The way that I've interpreted the information that has been let-out so far is... AWD is *absolutely* a planned offering and was built-into the platform design. I also understand it to be that the rear wheels will most-likely be driven by an electric motor - NOT a mechanical linkage to the drivetrain. And I disagree that it would reduce fuel economy as there is FAR LESS loss of energy when producing electricity to drive motors as opposed to all of the energy loss of transferring energy through gears, linkages, drive-shafts, etc.

Having said all of that... I don't KNOW any of it for sure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For those that want/like awd, why not a Sienna? I have looked at awd Siennas, but don't care for the lack of a spare tire, lack of available safety tech package with awd (can't figure why awd makes that not available), and losing 3-5mpg doesn't interest me a great deal. Plus in the event of tire blowout, need to replace all 4 tires. I would much rather have a FWD vehicle on snow tires vs an awd vehicle on all-seasons. Now if the Pacifica is made available in a few years with AWD, I may consider it, but for now, FWD is perfectly fine for my family.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
For those that want/like awd, why not a Sienna? I have looked at awd Siennas, but don't care for the lack of a spare tire, lack of available safety tech package with awd
For the reasons you mentioned. Yes, the Sienna is available with AWD, but you have to give up all the cool tech to get it. Sure, a FWD with snow tires may be better than an AWD with all-season tires, but I always get dedicated snow tires even with AWD. I'm sure the Pacifica with snow tires will do fine this winter. But there's no question that traction would be even better with snow tires and AWD.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had looked at Siennas many times over the years... not a fan of the styling... interior OR exterior. Having looked at minivans almost EVERY YEAR since 1999 (I bought a 2000 Town & Country back in 1999)... I have been watching the market ever since. I know what I like and I don't like. As a matter of fact, in 2009 I bought an AWD Ford Flex because—if you recall—that year was HORRIBLE for the auto industry. I looked at Chrysler, but their plants were shut-down and there was no way to know at the time what the future of the company would be. I would have LOVED to get back into a T&C even though it was only front-wheel drive. When I looked at all the competition; Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, etc... NONE of it met the combination of what I "need" and what I "like".

I really do hope that the AWD Pacifica is a Hybrid. It would be a much-welcomed addition to my life: All the cargo space of the pacifica (as well as the luxuries and amenities that I am now used to) as well as having that "extra grip" in the packed-snow and ice of a harsh New England winter. Crossing fingers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For the reasons you mentioned. Yes, the Sienna is available with AWD, but you have to give up all the cool tech to get it. Sure, a FWD with snow tires may be better than an AWD with all-season tires, but I always get dedicated snow tires even with AWD. I'm sure the Pacifica with snow tires will do fine this winter. But there's no question that traction would be even better with snow tires and AWD.
Snow tires certainly are the way to go regardless of the drive type! I only wish more people would invest in snow tires, they truly are the way to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
Dieselgeek
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing