Which one should I do?

• Keep the 22 pinnacle

• Trade in for the 22 hybrid pinnacle

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have a question 🙋🏽‍♀️ I was in the market for a new car 🚗 I wanted the 22 pacifica pinnacle hybrid I found out I have to order this car which is fine and I did that then later found a pinnacle gas brand new so I got and paid cash for it so I have NO CAR NOTE! Yay now my hybrid will be here in January should I do a trade in I know I shouldn’t have a high car note or should I just keep what I have I love my car now there absolutely nothing wrong with the car I have now but I do want to benefit from having a hybrid on gas. Help!! What would you do?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Trade in for a 2023 hybrid pinnacle. Or private sale and upgrade for basically nothing.

Reactions: Penelope123

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Fathom Blue ordered 10/30/21, built 12/08/21, delivered 12/23/21.
420 Posts
There are so many factors to consider on a case by case basis in terms of the financials on the switch so can't really comment in detail but we love our 2022 Limited hybrid. we live in an urban/suburban area so majority of our daily use is less than 30 miles round trip and with a level 2 charger we are driving around 60% or more on all electric power. Because we buy our electricity primarily at off-peak rates this has meant a substantial savings vs gas and even when running in hybrid mode we get 30+ mpg and often much higher. The hybrid powertrain is excellent for driveability as well. Many foks say reliability is a major concern with the hybrid but it does seem like most folks get a good one with only normal issues and those who get a bad one really suffer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Gasoline is the way to go judging by 90% of the threads on here are regarding issues with hybrids.. just saying
There's a lot of people that have had no issues with Hybrids and don't say a word.

Just like the gas model has notorious transmission issues and head gasket failure issues but we don't know what the actual failure rate is because only the loudest complain.

As far as OPs question: The cheapest car to own is the car you have.

Getting the PHEV makes sense if:
1. It costs almost nothing after trade-in AND the $7500 tax credit (I'd definitely do the upgrade then)
or
2. Your electricity is cheap OR you can charge at work for free (HUGE fuel savings there)
or
3. You live in California and want the California HOV lane sticker
AND
You have a house and not an apartment (somewhere to charge or you will be getting very little advantage of the PHEV).

Keep in mind you DO NOT need to have an L2 charger. While L2 charging is optimal we charge our PHEV with a normal 120V wall outlet and L1 charging is just fine for 2 years now.

That said, having owned both a 2018 Touring L Plus Gas model and a 2020 Limited PHEV, the Hybrid model drives better.

The other primary advantage of PHEV for us in a cold climate is the pre-conditioning. You can set your vehicle to pre-heat by X time every morning in a closed garage without carbon monoxide poisoning. Not so much an energy-saving feature but a huge quality-of-life feature (the 2020 can only do this manually, but the 2021+ have scheduled pre-conditioning). You do not have to pay Chrysler monthly to use this feature.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I already ordered the 22 hybrid pinnacle
If you haven't gotten your order yet there is a good chance it will be rolled into 2023. I love my Pinnacle. I would have already upgraded to 2023 as mine is paid for but they took away the third roof glass and I like mine with the three windows in the roof. I pay cash for my vehicles too—nothing like being debt free and owning no one monthly debt payments.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Gas
Trim:
Touring L
They're here because they have a problem so that's all you see
My 2021 Hybrid has been trouble free and horrors of horrors after 20k miles I'm working on my 7th tank of gas
Yeah I don’t see many posts on gassers compared to the myriad of issues people post about their superior hybrids. Seems more people are here posting about hybrid vehicles than anything else and all their issues

·
Registered
2021 Maximum Steel Pacifica Hybrid Limited
98 Posts
I have had zero issues with my hybrid and highly recommend hybrid over ICE.

I guess maybe I should post more about not having any issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's a lot of people that have had no issues with Hybrids and don't say a word.

Just like the gas model has notorious transmission issues and head gasket failure issues but we don't know what the actual failure rate is because only the loudest complain.

As far as OPs question: The cheapest car to own is the car you have.

Getting the PHEV makes sense if:
1. It costs almost nothing after trade-in AND the $7500 tax credit (I'd definitely do the upgrade then)
or
2. Your electricity is cheap OR you can charge at work for free (HUGE fuel savings there)
or
3. You live in California and want the California HOV lane sticker
AND
You have a house and not an apartment (somewhere to charge or you will be getting very little advantage of the PHEV).

Keep in mind you DO NOT need to have an L2 charger. While L2 charging is optimal we charge our PHEV with a normal 120V wall outlet and L1 charging is just fine for 2 years now.

That said, having owned both a 2018 Touring L Plus Gas model and a 2020 Limited PHEV, the Hybrid model drives better.

The other primary advantage of PHEV for us in a cold climate is the pre-conditioning. You can set your vehicle to pre-heat by X time every morning in a closed garage without carbon monoxide poisoning. Not so much an energy-saving feature but a huge quality-of-life feature (the 2020 can only do this manually, but the 2021+ have scheduled pre-conditioning). You do not have to pay Chrysler monthly to use this feature.
Hi
Well she has the gas Pinnacle, currently, so her seats don't Stow & Go anyways with whichever option she chooses.
Yea I have 4 kids my husband has a truck so if I need to haul something

·
Registered
2022 Pinnacle AWD
57 Posts
I'm glad this thread exists because I happen to have the same decision to make. I currently have a 2022 ICE Pinnacle AWD and my hybrid order just got built. I always intended to get the hybrid but my dealership screwed up and then gave me a good deal on this current one.

I like the heated second row and towing package, and especially like the "smuggler bins" under the floor. I could live without the AWD (California car) and power third row.

What's making me hesitate on the hybrid is the higher interest rates, financial aspects of switching cars, and increased potential for issues with the hybrid.

Otherwise, I really like the idea of electric around town, and the ability to chill in the car with AC without having to idle the engine.

I know you all can't really help me, it's a personal decision, but dang this is so hard!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe, bc you scroll through the threads and it’s just issue after issue with hybrids 🤷🏻‍♂️
You find what you seek. A negative attitude will bring you negative results. So don't tell me what I scroll through.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You find what you seek. A negative attitude will bring you negative results. So don't tell me what I scroll through.
I did the research once and posted it a while back Took the top 10 or 20 posts from several car forums, including this one. About 90% of the first posts on the PACHY were about issues, most of them major. I looked at competitors and their forums were exact opposite, in some cases zero posts about issues in the top 10 or 20 posts.

There's a stigma that forums attract complaints and I agree, but there's a lot of truth in that the PACHY forums (and facebook group) have way more complaints than other car forums do.

It's a fun experiment to do yourself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I did the research once and posted it a while back Took the top 10 or 20 posts from several car forums, including this one. About 90% of the first posts on the PACHY were about issues, most of them major. I looked at competitors and their forums were exact opposite, in some cases zero posts about issues in the top 10 or 20 posts.

There's a stigma that forums attract complaints and I agree, but there's a lot of truth in that the PACHY forums (and facebook group) have way more complaints than other car forums do.

It's a fun experiment to do yourself.
The exact opposite? So you are saying that on several car forums, about 90% of the first posts are about how awesome their vehicles are? I find that very hard to believe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That’s gotta be one of the dumbest responses ever . If you knew anything about phev vehicles , I’m fact of you knew probably anything about automotive industry as a whole , you’d know that phev dare fastest selling, hardest to find , hold value better and least discounted vehicles . Instead of rendering uneducated responses maybe you gain some actual factual data .
Doesn't help to be so critical of someone's effort to respond.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Maybe, bc you scroll through the threads and it’s just issue after issue with hybrids 🤷🏻‍♂️
Maybe 10 to 15 users with complaints out of 30,000+ Pacifica hybrids on the road? My 2018 was problem free, and my upgraded 2021 Pinnacle has been too. Over three years of owning these and have never been broken down and stranded.

Waymo only uses hybrids and if the Pacifica hybrids were breaking downing and exploding into flames it would have been national news already. Not to mention social media of people using Waymo and complaining.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Gas
Trim:
Touring L
Maybe 10 to 15 users with complaints out of 30,000+ Pacifica hybrids on the road? My 2018 was problem free, and my upgraded 2021 Pinnacle has been too. Over three years of owning these and have never been broken down and stranded.

Waymo only uses hybrids and if the Pacifica hybrids were breaking downing and exploding into flames it would have been national news already. Not to mention social media of people using Waymo and complaining.
You can’t compare 15 users on here and 30,000 plus vehicles on the road. Not everyone who owns one is on here. Also, I’m not talking about breaking down and exploding into flames. I’m talking about countless ppl complaining about some aspect of hybrids. Whether it being they are only getting 15 mile range or they were driving down the interstate and the thing just shut off. Hands down there are more ppl complaining about hybrids than gas. End of story

1 - 20 of 42 Posts