2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Chiming in from the Saskatchewan/Alberta border here. We’re looking to trade from our SUV to a minivan and are in the middle of shopping and pricing a Pacifica Hybrid Limited. We’re sold on the Pacifica’s, the interior features seem to fit the best for us, and it’s a nice looking unit compared to the other brands, and now we’ve test drove a Hybrid and really like it.
We have a few concerns, such as what features are missing compared to the gas Limited, as well as western Canada prairie winter performance (February of this year was -25 to -35 for the entire month), and I’m hoping I’ll find answers in these forums.
Hope to be chatting to everyone soon!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hello! Chiming in from the Saskatchewan/Alberta border here. We’re looking to trade from our SUV to a minivan and are in the middle of shopping and pricing a Pacifica Hybrid Limited. We’re sold on the Pacifica’s, the interior features seem to fit the best for us, and it’s a nice looking unit compared to the other brands, and now we’ve test drove a Hybrid and really like it.
We have a few concerns, such as what features are missing compared to the gas Limited, as well as western Canada prairie winter performance (February of this year was -25 to -35 for the entire month), and I’m hoping I’ll find answers in these forums.
Hope to be chatting to everyone soon!
How close do you live to Dog River? (Just kidding! :grin2: )

All batteries are less efficient in very cold weather. You cannot expect advertised performance in the February weather you described. The gas engine will be running most of the time.

A question you also need to answer: is your Chrysler dealer fully trained and experienced enough to service your hybrid? That seems like a pretty remote rural area. It might be a concern. Some Chrysler dealers chose to bypass having mechanics trained for the hybrid if they did not see a market to justify the expense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m already aware of cold weather effects in batteries, something most people living here are very aware of in regards to even the vehicle starting battery.
I’m more interested in specifics, have people experienced 10% reduction? 50% or maybe even 70%? From what I understand they are a lithium ion which definitely helps in cold weather. Of course there are other factors such as heat, however I would assume this is likely electric just like the air conditioning so it may be a wash. This is what I’ll be searching for in the forums.
We are far from a ‘remote rural’ area, there are multiple Chrysler dealerships within a 200km radius. That is a good thing to consider, though, the Technician training aspect. On this note, however, should I be concerned with the reliability of the PacHy and not having trained techs in the vicinity?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I am in the wrong climate zone to be answering this, but repeating what others have posted... In cold weather you will find that the gas engine comes on when there is still plenty of charge remaining in the motive battery. It does this because it needs to keep the battery warm and/or because the electric cabin heater isn't up to the task of warming the cabin. Assuming you can keep it plugged in to the charger overnight you can alleviate this by going out and pressing the start button twice without pressing the brake pedal. This puts it in a state where it will warm the cabin and the motive battery using the power from the wall. Unfortunately, doing this using the remote start on the key fob doesn't produce the same result -- it will start the gas engine which is not a good idea if you are parked inside your garage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Adding to AZBean's comment: you'll need the level 2, 30A/7kWh charger. The electric cabin heater uses 7kWh at full tilt, and the factory charger only supplies about 1.8kWh.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How close do you live to Dog River? (Just kidding! :grin2: )

All batteries are less efficient in very cold weather. You cannot expect advertised performance in the February weather you described. The gas engine will be running most of the time.

A question you also need to answer: is your Chrysler dealer fully trained and experienced enough to service your hybrid? That seems like a pretty remote rural area. It might be a concern. Some Chrysler dealers chose to bypass having mechanics trained for the hybrid if they did not see a market to justify the expense.
Now that I think about it, the 2017 Pacifica may be Chrysler's first hybrid vehicle they ever made. (?) That does not instill confidence in me that any of the dealership technicians have a decent level of knowledge about how the PacHy works. I guess all of us were so impressed with the idea of a hybrid minivan that we ignored the fact.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can view it another way. The technicians who’ve been trained all had very recent training. The ones I’ve talked to seem very knowledgeable. Small sample size, though. I’ve only talked to two.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had a lot of experience with the various OEM technician training programs, and I only have one word to describe them: OUTSTANDING

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I’m more interested in specifics, have people experienced 10% reduction? 50% or maybe even 70%? From what I understand they are a lithium ion which definitely helps in cold weather. Of course there are other factors such as heat, however I would assume this is likely electric just like the air conditioning so it may be a wash.
The heat is power hungry. It can consume up to 7kWh. Going full blast it will consume all battery in under 2 hours without even moving.

You also should know that the ICE will turn on in a cold weather, so you can't fully electric in the winter anyway.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I’m in the Toronto area and love my hybrid in all 4 seasons . Put a set of snows on it and just keep her charged up . Whether you have ice or electric the winter takes a toll on anything .

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the best we can hope for in cold winters is to reduce the engine run time somewhat by "prewarming" the battery pack with a 7 kWh charger. (Plug in, turn "on" without touching the brake, and go to max heat.) The car will let you do this for about a half hour before it shuts itself off. As the cabin heater is in the battery coolant loop, it warms up considerably.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, that is all very helpful info! I’ve checked with the two dealerships I’m currently negotiating with and they both have trained technicians, one of these dealerships uses a PacHy as their shuttle van so they have hands-on experience.
7kWh for the heat? That will definitely lower the range... I don’t expect to have near as much range but this gives me a better idea. From what I’ve read it sounds like the ICE is unique as well and is much more efficient than the normal gas equivalent.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thanks everyone, that is all very helpful info! I’ve checked with the two dealerships I’m currently negotiating with and they both have trained technicians, one of these dealerships uses a PacHy as their shuttle van so they have hands-on experience.
7kWh for the heat? That will definitely lower the range... I don’t expect to have near as much range but this gives me a better idea. From what I’ve read it sounds like the ICE is unique as well and is much more efficient than the normal gas equivalent.
The heater operates at 7kW for initial warm up, maybe at extreme cold.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't be fooled by the EPA mileage ratings and Chrysler's claims about the ICE. It's only really efficient at steady highway cruising speeds, where it easily exceeds 30 mpg, even in very cold weather.

During short distance, moderate speed (25-45 mph), very cold weather operation, I got 10-12 mpg. I did not have the 7 kWh charger during that time.

This car is a great, efficient highway cruiser, and a marvelous, efficient electric town car (in moderate to warm weather). I'm seeing per mile cost of less that $0.049. To equal that on the ICE at current gas prices ($2.97) I'd have to get 60mpg.

I'm still experimenting with cold weather, town car operation. I'll have more info in late December.

Meanwhile, enjoy the warm weather.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I am in the wrong climate zone to be answering this, but repeating what others have posted... In cold weather you will find that the gas engine comes on when there is still plenty of charge remaining in the motive battery. It does this because it needs to keep the battery warm and/or because the electric cabin heater isn't up to the task of warming the cabin. Assuming you can keep it plugged in to the charger overnight you can alleviate this by going out and pressing the start button twice without pressing the brake pedal. This puts it in a state where it will warm the cabin and the motive battery using the power from the wall. Unfortunately, doing this using the remote start on the key fob doesn't produce the same result -- it will start the gas engine which is not a good idea if you are parked inside your garage.
I didn't know you could do this! I park inside and plugged into a JuiceBox, so I could have had a warmer van for two winters now. So glad I read this thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep in mind as well, and correct me if I'm wrong as I do not own a Hybrid....but the Hybrid version removes the Stow&Go capability and feature that the gas versions have as well.

We use the Stow&Go very frequently in our configuration.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yup. The 16 KwH battery lives under the floor where the second row seats would stow. The second row is removable, however, and it's great exercise lugging them in and out of the house. (They weigh about 75 lbs. apiece.) Once they are gone, tho, you have the same flat floor as the standard Pacifica.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Adding to what AZBean said: turn the temp control all the way up, and select window/floor air distribution on the main climate control panel. Turn the car on by hitting the button twice without pressing the brake. Doesn't matter if the 30 kWh charger is plugged in first or not. It usually takes a minute or two for the charger to kick in and get up to 30A. It will get uncomfortably warm inside the car after about 20 minutes. I always turn off the climate control before unplugging the charger. The car gets warm enough that I doubt climate control will be needed unless your winter trips are more than 10 miles. In any event, the heated seats and wheel work really well, and don't put much of a load on the system as they are 12 volt. I think, also, that the battery pack will stay warm enough just from propelling the car that the ICE should not be needed. There's quite a bit of heat generated with the propulsion function. (We can see the miles remaining go from 27 to 34 after about 5 minutes of driving.) Won't know for sure til the middle of next December. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't be fooled by the EPA mileage ratings and Chrysler's claims about the ICE. It's only really efficient at steady highway cruising speeds, where it easily exceeds 30 mpg, even in very cold weather.

During short distance, moderate speed (25-45 mph), very cold weather operation, I got 10-12 mpg. I did not have the 7 kWh charger during that time.

This car is a great, efficient highway cruiser, and a marvelous, efficient electric town car (in moderate to warm weather). I'm seeing per mile cost of less that $0.049. To equal that on the ICE at current gas prices ($2.97) I'd have to get 60mpg.

I'm still experimenting with cold weather, town car operation. I'll have more info in late December.

Meanwhile, enjoy the warm weather.
Well, we live 25km (about 15 miles) out of town, so steady highway cruising will be a lot of the life of this van, so a possible 30mpg with the ICE would be nice. Actually we’re hoping, in perfect conditions of course, we can go to the city and back on battery alone!
Honestly, if the ICE can get at least as good of mileage as the non-hybrid, I’d be happy.

$0.049 per mile? That will be nice!

Keep in mind as well, and correct me if I'm wrong as I do not own a Hybrid....but the Hybrid version removes the Stow&Go capability and feature that the gas versions have as well.

We use the Stow&Go very frequently in our configuration.
This will be our first van, coming from an SUV, and we’ve never experienced stow & go, so I don’t think we’ll miss it. We were originally shopping for an Odyssey, which also doesn’t have it, before we discovered the hybrid. But good thing to point out.

Adding to what AZBean said: turn the temp control all the way up, and select window/floor air distribution on the main climate control panel. Turn the car on by hitting the button twice without pressing the brake. Doesn't matter if the 30 kWh charger is plugged in first or not. It usually takes a minute or two for the charger to kick in and get up to 30A. It will get uncomfortably warm inside the car after about 20 minutes. I always turn off the climate control before unplugging the charger. The car gets warm enough that I doubt climate control will be needed unless your winter trips are more than 10 miles. In any event, the heated seats and wheel work really well, and don't put much of a load on the system as they are 12 volt. I think, also, that the battery pack will stay warm enough just from propelling the car that the ICE should not be needed. There's quite a bit of heat generated with the propulsion function. (We can see the miles remaining go from 27 to 34 after about 5 minutes of driving.) Won't know for sure til the middle of next December. Stay tuned.
With being about 15-20 mins out of town it’s likely we’ll need climate control, but maybe only the really cold days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
Bentasha
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing