2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In the comments:

Plain and simple, they are the best swiss army knife out there if you have kids. You can use a penny or nickel as an impromptu screwdriver. However, a true screwdriver is the best tool for the job. A cross-over is the penny or nickel and the mini-van is the screwdriver...
I would argue that even if you don't have kids, it's the best Swiss army knife.

·
Registered
720 Posts
No doubtt. It's the best tool for my life. One doesn't need kids to need a van. The space, the flexibility, the comfort, the functionality is better than any SUV (minus towing or serious off road).
John

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am officially going to use that without any credit given so I sound smart and stuff or something and that I like run on sentences like I talk like a salesman who won't let up and give you a chance to ask a question so are you ready to sign?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've owned mini vans continuously since my 1989 Dodge Grand Caravan. I have no kids. The ride is great and its hard to beat the flexibility. I've never understood the "I'll never get caught in a mini van" attitude of mom's and dad's, especially when I see them in parking lots struggling to get the kids into the back seats while trying to keep the doors from hitting adjacent cars. I guess SUV's are just so much cooler to own.

My wife's daily driver for the last 30+ years is a 3/4 ton pickup. We need a truck for towing horse and dump trailers. Even with the truck available, I prefer to use the van for any load that will fit inside including 12' long lumber (over the front passenger seat and onto the dash).

BTW, the 1989 Caravan's sliding door was only on the passenger side and the 2nd and 3rd rows were bench seats. Removable with tools and two people. We've come a long way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We also enjoyed the versatility of the minivan, over the past 20 years, having owned Ford and Chrysler products. The Chryslers have been far superior.
And, like shawnee, we have had pickup trucks (Jeep, Ford, GMC, Dodge - mostly 3/4 ton) for the past 44 years to mainly tote around our horses.
We really like the Chrysler minivans because of their multi-utility, especially when you purchase something unexpectedly and it is large, won’t fit in a sedan or SUV, and you don’t have the pickup. So long live the Pacifica!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I think the better analogy is, what is a better tool, a fanny pack or a wallet? The fanny pack is much more versitile, you can carry more stuff...but its not fashionable and its dorky. Some people care about fashion, some people don't. Thats why there are options in life.

Like everything else in life, its all about tradeoffs. Minivans are fine, but they just don't make me want to own one or drive one, so this is likely our last one. I'll gladly trade some function for a vehicle I have more connection to.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Whats ironic about that?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Let me ask you this question, this is your signature:

2021 PacHy Pinnacle, built 3/24/2021 at 9am--"Vanessa" (from Corvette Summer). Ocean Blue
also: 2017 VW GTI Autobahn (blue, mine); 2018 VW GTI S (red, daughter's); 2007 Toyota Prius (red, son's)

You made sure to tell us that the GTI is yours. And we can extrapolate that the Pacifica is your wife's, since you, your daughter and your son's cars are all very clearly assigned to each person who primarily drives them.

If the minivan is truly the best automotive tool and noone should want anything more out of a vehicle but the minivan's utility, why don't you drive it as your primary car? Why would you ever want to drive that GTI?

Because the GTI is a way more fun car. You get to enjoy that, and have the Pacifica around for utility. Well, some people need to get their utility and their enjoyment out of the same vehicle, hence why people buy SUVs and crossovers instead of minivans. My Pacifica is a great tool, you wont find a better all around tool. But, my cars are more than just tools to me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I picked up my (now) wife for our first date in my minivan that I already owned at the time (Chrysler T&C) she thought my car must be in the shop and i borrowed it from someone else. :)

She has since also become a fan of the swiss army knife (aka minivan). For super easy parking in the city or even more fun driving we have the Spark EV.

I always found shopping at IKEA somewhat amusing. People come out with lots and lots of big and long boxes only to realize at the time of loading that maybe, just maybe all that stuff does not fit into a sedan (or even an SUV) when you already came with 3-5 people in the vehicle.
The amount of stuff I have had in my minivans over the years is phenomenal (e.g. 12 bicycles for a large biking meet-up with friends in another city (the people were in other vehicles); a 3 seater sofa + 2 seater sofa + chaise in one load; 1.5 pallets of hardwood flooring (definitely over the weight limit with that one); a complete large outdoor play structure (disassembled);...)

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Huh. But you blocked me. ???
I un-blocked you until you no longer amuse me. I notice no answers to my questions...shocker

Rincewind8 said:
I always found shopping at IKEA somewhat amusing. People come out with lots and lots of big and long boxes only to realize at the time of loading that maybe, just maybe all that stuff does not fit into a sedan (or even an SUV) when you already came with 3-5 people in the vehicle.
Everything about Ikea is amusing lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I guess I'm really a non conformist as I drive a wagon and will be picking up a Pacifica. I was going to pull the trigger in Aug but will now probably wait until the new year when hopefully inventory will be more stabilized.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am a musician and can fit a few guitars, amps, PA, etc in the back portion of my Pacifica with the 3rd row rear seat folded down and still have room for four people in the front two rows. Also, great for camping or ski trips with a rocket box on top. It's pretty convenient for what it is, and fits my needs pretty well. I used to help coach my kid's sports teams and could fit half the team and their sports gear in the back, a few years ago, it worked pretty well for that too. Just making runs to the garden supply store is easy, throw a tarp in the back and load bags of soil or mulch and potted plants, or lumber for small woodworking projects. Lots of utility in a minivan, a fairly good overall compromise. But, yeah, a compromise I am happy with for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was behind a minivan the other day. On the driver's side of the rear window read," I used to be cool ".
I read it as a statement about their vehicle, and stage in life. It made me think they were older, wiser, and still pretty cool to put that on the window.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I was behind a minivan the other day. On the driver's side of the rear window read," I used to be cool ".
I read it as a statement about their vehicle, and stage in life. It made me think they were older, wiser, and still pretty cool to put that on the window.
It seems the only vehicle I ever see with that quote is on a minivan. I think people put that on their car because inside, they really love their minivan. Lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Late 90's, going to Vegas for the ski/snowboard trade show. Rented a minivan so I could also bring my mountain bike and easily bring it around, and this was in the days before Stowe/Go. Best thing ever. Got a Grand Caravan in 2002, then another in 2010, and just took delivery of my custom ordered Pacy Hybrid. No kids, just dogs, bikes, boards, pallets of manure, you name it. I call it a stealth pickup. All seats stowed or out, full armor for the whole rear, treat it just like a pickup bed. Then I can remove the armor, put up the seats, and it's like new. And no cops look twice at you. Yea, might get a Cybertruck once they're out, but I'll always have a mini no matter what.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have always loved vans. My dad had a couple VW busses and I had a couple VW camper vans in my early 20’s. I was super psyched when I bought my Honda Odyssey in 2005 after my first kid was born. When my convertible crapped out in 2013 I wanted to buy another minivan but DW said no and I reluctantly bought a 4wd Pilot. I’ve never really loved that car as it was never as roomy or practical as the minivan.

Now my first born has his license so it was time to buy a new car and there was no doubt it was going to be a minivan. I was psyched there was a plug in hybrid option. My son now has the Pilot, DW has the PACHY and I have the old Odyssey. When the Odyssey goes, I’ll probably buy another mini van unless I have money to burn for a Sprinter camper.

we just took our first road trip in the 21 PACHY and it was great even with 3 kids and 3 dogs. Only complaint was it wasn’t quite as roomy as the Odyssey and lack of pockets/ storage in the third row.

we recently sold our DINK friends on the virtues of a minivan after they needed to replace their Chevy Traverse. They bought a 2009 Odyssey and are thrilled and amazed by its versatility.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A mini van wasn't even on my radar when I started looking to replace my 2011 VW Tiguan in 2019 I was looking at full sized SUVs. Then I got stuck with a mini van for a rental while on a trip for work. They handed me a Chrysler fob at the counter and gave me a stall number. I started looking for a T&C. I almost walked past the Pacifica when my coworker pointed out the stall number. I was pleasantly surprised by the stylish looks of the Pacifica. I was further impressed with the handling though no sports car, it handled well for what it was. Much less body roll on cornering than I expected and it had a firm but comfortable ride. I hate that floaty, mushy ride some people expect in a road trip vehicle. Then one evening me and my coworker stowed all of the rear seats. OMG! It was absolutely cavernous! Needless to say the rest is history.

I haul dogs to performance events which entails loading up dog crates, coolers, chairs, misc dog supplies, big plastic totes for my tarps, and tarp poles. Everything fits just fine without a lot of stacking. The Pacifica is a great platform for setting up my alumanet tarps when crating out doors. I've been on several road trips with and without the dogs and the Pacifica has been just wonderful.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Sky Plant community Tent Tarpaulin Shade

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nikkio, while camping this summer I discovered that my portable pop-up shelter covers the rear of the van even with the doors open. Give it a shot. It works great for rain or to keep the sun from beating down on you.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts