2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring AWD Velvet Red "S"
179 Posts
Speaking of “tools”, some folks are tools!!

MY primary ride has been a Chrysler built minivan since 1997.
I used to have some cool cars when I was a kid, but grew up.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Speaking of “tools”, some folks are tools!!

MY primary ride has been a Chrysler built minivan since 1997.
I used to have some cool cars when I was a kid, but grew up.
So someone can't be a grown up if they still enjoy cool cars? I'll put my "grown up" status up against anybodys lol. Driving nothing but Chrysler minivans since 1997, with basically all of them but the current Pacifica being horrible quality vehicles...better you than me!

I haven't driven the Pacifica in almost 2 weeks. Its been glorious lol

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring AWD Velvet Red "S"
179 Posts
It's been written that some guys have to have cool cars because they are lacking elsewhere...
Some aren't secure. Who knows? Who cares? :LOL:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It's been written that some guys have to have cool cars because they are lacking elsewhere...
Some aren't secure. Who knows? Who cares? :LOL:
Perfectly secure, I just like cool cars. I own lots of cool things that I enjoy. I'm not the one who continues to post justifying my choices in vehicles lol. That would be the people pretending minivans are cool, or pretending people who don't like minivans are posers and obsessed with what other people think. Lots of people just don't like minivans, doesn't mean you can't like yours.

If you truly didnt care what people thought of your vehicle choices, you would just drive your minivan with a smile on your face and let people say whatever they want. Reality is, you do care which is why you continue to try and compensate for it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm glad you enjoyed it lol

Reactions: VelvetRedAWD

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Limited S, Luxury White Pearl Coat, Black 18s
24 Posts
In all seriousness, the minivan vs suv argument goes beyond superficiality. The Pacifica (with the right wheels, of course) is flat better looking than most 3 row suvs. Period. Add in greater utility comfort mileage and everything else it's good for. The suv argument doesn't hold much water outside the snow belt. The issue is one of marketing and wording. One type of vehicle has the word mini and the other has the word sport. People are sheep and they would drive a floating turd if it was called a sport turd.

I'm trademarking sport turd, btw. :p

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
In all seriousness, the minivan vs suv argument goes beyond superficiality. The Pacifica (with the right wheels, of course) is flat better looking than most 3 row suvs. Period. Add in greater utility comfort mileage and everything else it's good for. The suv argument doesn't hold much water outside the snow belt. The issue is one of marketing and wording. One type of vehicle has the word mini and the other has the word sport. People are sheep and they would drive a floating turd if it was called a sport turd.
This is all your opinion, not a fact. I think the Pacifica is the best looking minivan, but I prefer the looks of almost any crossover. I just don't like the shape and look of a van. I don't like the driving position and driver area feel either, I much prefer a crossover or SUV. For this stage in our lives where we have young kids, our minivans have been great tools. But, once we don't need that space utility any longer we will go back to an SUV for the family vehicle.

Like I've said before, you can like what you like, but most Americans just don't like minivans. Those people aren't "sheep", your opinion just isn't a majority opinion. I like sedans, but less and less people buy sedans and go to crossovers and SUVs. I see the appeal there, I don't go around calling those people sheep.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nikkio, while camping this summer I discovered that my portable pop-up shelter covers the rear of the van even with the doors open. Give it a shot. It works great for rain or to keep the sun from beating down on you.
I did look at EZ-Ups but chose to stay with a 13'x16' alumanet because it is easier for me to handle by myself. The alumanet is reflective and the temp underneath is cooler. I cover most of the van with the alumanet so the interior of the van stays cooler too. If it does rain, I have another plastic tarp I can use with or without the alumanet. I keep the 13 x 16 alumanet, a smaller 7 x 7 alumanet, a 8 x 10 plastic tarp, suction cup tarp anchors, stakes, ropes, and a mallet in an 30gl tote. The poles have their own bag. Just toss 'em in the Pacifica and go.

I have been looking at Quick-Set shelters by Clam. They are lighter than EZ-Ups and easier to put up and take down with only one person. They are screen shelters and come in several different sizes. I watched a 5 ft tall svelte 70-something grandmother take down Clam's Venture model tent, stow it in it's case and put it in the Thule carrier on top of her Odyssey all by herself in about 5 minutes. She told me she put it up by herself too. Like anything that is really convenient it is more expensive than an EZ-Up. Here's the manufacturer's website they are a bit less expensive on Amazon: New! - Quick-Set The gal who demonstrated the Quick-set used the tailgate of her Odyssey as a cover between the back of the van and the door of the Quick-set.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've owned mini vans continuously since my 1989 Dodge Grand Caravan. I have no kids. The ride is great and its hard to beat the flexibility. I've never understood the "I'll never get caught in a mini van" attitude of mom's and dad's, especially when I see them in parking lots struggling to get the kids into the back seats while trying to keep the doors from hitting adjacent cars. I guess SUV's are just so much cooler to own.

My wife's daily driver for the last 30+ years is a 3/4 ton pickup. We need a truck for towing horse and dump trailers. Even with the truck available, I prefer to use the van for any load that will fit inside including 12' long lumber (over the front passenger seat and onto the dash).

BTW, the 1989 Caravan's sliding door was only on the passenger side and the 2nd and 3rd rows were bench seats. Removable with tools and two people. We've come a long way.
I can beat that. I've had a Chrysler mini-van continuously since our 1985 Dodge Caravan. Loved the added length of the Town & Countrys and the added 'luxury'. I do have 3 kids - and when we got rid of the '85 Caravan, they cried - even tho we had a new van.
All ate up the miles and were great for trips and hauling things. I am responsible for my neighbor getting a grand caravan - he said 'When I saw how much you fit in yours, I had to get one'.
Never got the idea of a pickup truck - I could never figure what I would put back there that I wouldn't care if it got stolen, blew away, or got rained on. Even if I was hauling dirt, I wouldn't want it rained on - then people say, 'well, you can get a cap for it' - you mean, like a mini-van? I have hauled dirt in garbage cans, and can take 2 couples with us without them needing to be acrobats to get into rear seats.
On vacation with daughter and a mother-in-law, we took several Uber rides - the 3-row Ass-U-Vs were stupid - the 3rd row was was for small children or double amputees and were a challenge to get to. Only mini-vans had accessible, adequate 3rd rows, and only in the Chrysler mini-vans can both 2 & 3rd rows go under the floor.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
While I agree with all the utility advantages of a minivan, there are many instances where a pick up truck would be absolutely beneficial. Such as carrying garbage / filthy/ stinky stuff or really dirty stuff like a just used lawnmower, or a wheelbarrow after use.
You wouldn’t want to put such stuff inside your vehicle. It’ll be hard to clean the carpet / mat and get rid of the stink. With a truck you are insulated from all of that and the bed can be washed away easily.
And may be you need to navigate through some farmland on the way. The higher ground clearance of trucks would be useful there. These are just a few examples. I’m sure those who use it daily can find more uses.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
like a just used lawnmower, or a wheelbarrow after use.
shoot, I do that. And a snowblower, for that matter.

Sure, I like my minivan. But at the end of the day, it's a tool--not a piece of jewelry to be polished and put away after showing it off at the ball.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've hauled dirty and smelly stuff in my Pacifica but I have a Plush Paws liner in the back. If there is any 'residue' left when I'm done I just pull the PP liner out, toss it over the 96 GL trash can and hose it off. Even the stubborn stuff comes off with a hand held scrub brush. If something is leaking oil or gas, I will put a plastic tarp under it. The advantages of a pick up truck are ground clearance, more cargo capacity, and head space in the bed without a cap. Hauling a full sized refrigerator, which has to be kept upright, ain't happenin' in a mini van. If you are farming, hauling, or off-road adventuring you're obviously not looking for a mini van. For urban-suburban utilitarianism you can't beat a mini van.

Reactions: DoninDel

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've hauled dirty and smelly stuff in my Pacifica but I have a Plush Paws liner in the back. If there is any 'residue' left when I'm done I just pull the PP liner out, toss it over the 96 GL trash can and hose it off. Even the stubborn stuff comes off with a hand held scrub brush. If something is leaking oil or gas, I will put a plastic tarp under it. The advantages of a pick up truck are ground clearance, more cargo capacity, and head space in the bed without a cap. Hauling a full sized refrigerator, which has to be kept upright, ain't happenin' in a mini van. If you are farming, hauling, or off-road adventuring you're obviously not looking for a mini van. For urban-suburban utilitarianism you can't beat a mini van.
Agree. I have a full liner that I use, has front and sides that contain any mess - best idea I heard was to buy a "bagster" and use that as a liner when needed. My liner fits in a seat well when not needed.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hauling a full sized refrigerator, which has to be kept upright, ain't happenin' in a mini van.
Last I checked, it doesn't "have to" be kept upright. It's a matter of the oil in the compressor. But if hauled on its side, it must be kept upright for 24 hours before plugging it in.

For urban-suburban utilitarianism you can't beat a mini van.
Truth.

My minivans have hauled full length, huge sofas in the back. I was astounded the first time I tried, and the hatch closed.

That being said, the console in the Pinnacle may put a damper on that by about 3-4 inches...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
We were just in Disney and they were out of minivan rentals so we had an Explorer for 8 days, and it reinforced my preference for a crossover to a minivan. The Explorer wouldnt be my choice, but the driving position and feel alone just is way more appealing to me. My wife actually agreed, and says she will seriously consider a crossover when it comes time to replace this Pacifica.

Cargowise, we had the benefit of putting all the luggage that was in the Pacifica on the way to the airport into the Explorer once we got there, and theres no way around the massive increase in cargo capacity in the minivan. What didnt block any windows in the back of the Pacifica filled the Explorer all the way to the headliner leaving zero window visibility out the back.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dang, looks like a nice piece! What size did you get? Regular or XL?
I got the Plush Paws XL. I posted pictures of it installed in my van in this thread: One big floor mat options?
It's not a custom fit but it is a good fit considering it's designed for a full sized SUV.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We enjoy our Pacifica and our F-250. Each has its own advantages. That is why we have the two vehicles. Definitely our Pacifica would not tow our 27 foot long horse trailer. And, we cannot stow the rear seats of our F-250 into the floor.

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
We were just in Disney and they were out of minivan rentals so we had an Explorer for 8 days, and it reinforced my preference for a crossover to a minivan. The Explorer wouldnt be my choice, but the driving position and feel alone just is way more appealing to me. My wife actually agreed, and says she will seriously consider a crossover when it comes time to replace this Pacifica.

Cargowise, we had the benefit of putting all the luggage that was in the Pacifica on the way to the airport into the Explorer once we got there, and theres no way around the massive increase in cargo capacity in the minivan. What didnt block any windows in the back of the Pacifica filled the Explorer all the way to the headliner leaving zero window visibility out the back.
We spent two weeks in a rental Cadillac XT5 and were not impressed. It was better than Pacifica on the twisty, rough and narrow roads, but we don't have to deal with those on the East Coast.
I asked my wife what would be a fair price for XT5 considering that Pacifica was $50k. She said- "maybe $25k", and I could see where she was coming from as the Caddy was lacking in most areas.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts