2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello dear forum members,

I am the Chris and live in the EU / Germany. Since Friday we own a Pacifica.
We have a Pacifica Touring L in velvet-red - which is a total-loss in the US, because frontal damage.

My job is the "Network and Server Administration - as well as the IT infrastructure maintenance". As a hobby I have a lot of DIY hobbies, with two left hands and 10 thumbs ...
One of the biggest hobbies is screwing on my old Volkswagen T3 Bulli and on an old caravan "Eriba Triton built in 1974"

Due to the fact that the car is not available in Germany, there is no community that supports you with words and deeds. It's our first American car, and even in the first days it totally convinced us.
Anyway, I think that your vehicles have outdated our European in terms of technology. While the engines are getting smaller and more susceptible, they will become more inovative and durable.
In general, the Diesel-Gate affair is actually the flagship of European development. Pretty much ****.
The Pentastar engine is for German conditions above the displacement and power average.

Well long story short, my english is bad, i need google for help and hope that i will be welcomed here anyway. I usually do not understand colloquial language. Because of the problem, I usually do not get the right search results.

I will now click through the sub-forums and hope that I find the right answers.

·
Registered
920 Posts

We have a Pacifica Touring L in velvet-red - which is a total-loss in the US, because frontal damage.

My job is the "Network and Server Administration - as well as the IT infrastructure maintenance". As a hobby I have a lot of DIY hobbies, with two left hands and 10 thumbs ...
One of the biggest hobbies is screwing on my old Volkswagen T3 Bulli and on an old caravan "Eriba Triton built in 1974"

Due to the fact that the car is not available in Germany, there is no community that supports you with words and deeds. It's our first American car, and even in the first days it totally convinced us.
Anyway, I think that your vehicles have outdated our European in terms of technology. While the engines are getting smaller and more susceptible, they will become more inovative and durable.
In general, the Diesel-Gate affair is actually the flagship of European development. Pretty much ****.
The Pentastar engine is for German conditions above the displacement and power average.

Well long story short, my english is bad, i need google for help and hope that i will be welcomed here anyway. I usually do not understand colloquial language. Because of the problem, I usually do not get the right search results.

I will now click through the sub-forums and hope that I find the right answers.
Welcome to the Forum @MultiMomba. A lot of info on the Forum. Enjoy :smile2: Maybe its a language thing, but I don't understand:
"We have a Pacifica Touring L in velvet-red - which is a total-loss in the US, because frontal damage." ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a Language-thing :) and presumably, my punctuation marks are wrong, so the sentence is also difficult to understand :-D

Our dealer has told us, that the car had a frontdamage accident in the past. He explained us, that the lendig bank has write-off the car as "total-lost" cause inrepairrable.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
We have a Pacifica Touring L in velvet-red - which is a total-loss in the US, because frontal damage...
Welcome to the forum. If you click on the UserCP red letters in the upper right corner of the forum page, you can then edit the "signature line" and put info about your van (year, trim, gas/hybrid, build date (on driver's door edge), etc). Your van info will then show up at the bottom of each post. That helps forum members assist you since there have been some variations as the 2017+ Pacificas have been built.

Has your van been repaired from the total loss damage or will you be working on it with the help from forum members?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hello and wecome, @MultiMomba ! Was your Pacifica shipped to you damaged? Or was it repaired here in the US, and you purchased it after the repair?

Did you know that the Pentastar engine was originally designed with assistance from Mercedes Benz? It happened back when Daimler owned Chrysler.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
American market engines have always been different. Cars are not taxed on engine size and the fuel is cheaper, thus American cars often have large engines. They may seem an "old technology", but they have smooth power delivery and long life. Recently the fuel economy become stricter and many new cars have switched to smaller 4 cylinder turbo engines.

How did you manage to buy Pacifica? Some sort of grey market arrangements?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has your van been repaired from the total loss damage or will you be working on it with the help from forum members?
Hello and wecome, @MultiMomba ! Was your Pacifica shipped to you damaged? Or was it repaired here in the US, and you purchased it after the repair?
Did you know that the Pentastar engine was originally designed with assistance from Mercedes Benz? It happened back when Daimler owned Chrysler.
The car has repaired from total loss damage in america. I dont know in which country. I think, a repair in germany is incredable, because i have to ship every sparepart from US to EU. Most things are well repaired, some things are bad. The paint is pretty 'bad'. But the seller has to judge - the car has to go back anyway, to assamble the trailer hitch.

American market engines have always been different. Cars are not taxed on engine size and the fuel is cheaper, thus American cars often have large engines. They may seem an "old technology", but they have smooth power delivery and long life. Recently the fuel economy become stricter and many new cars have switched to smaller 4 cylinder turbo engines.

How did you manage to buy Pacifica? Some sort of grey market arrangements?
We have a handful of dealers in Germany specializing in US vehicle import. Mostly they are accident vehicles. So these are not official ways we can keep. Thus, it is a gray import.

The funny thing is with the small turbo engines, which are usually sparing only in stop-and-go, but on the highway it makes less difference. For the Pacifica had a MB C280 7-speed automatic (built in 2008) with 3 liter capacity as a station wagon. Relaxed with 75MPH (120KMH), I came just under 9 liters / 100km (26 MPG) ..... on 8 liters (29,4MPG) , I almost never came.
Before that, I had a Golf 5 Combi, also built in 2008, 6-speed manual transmission. 1.4L capacity, 160hp turbocharger and compressor. at 70.000km (43495miles) I had 2 engines and 3 sets of pistons new. Consumption around the 7,4L (32MPG) on the highway. Mostly at 80MPH - 85mph (130kmh-140kmh). That's ok, but for as little displacement actually too much thirst. And the trouble with VW .....

My Old 1.9TDI bj 1999 i can drive between 4.5L at 50MPH and at 90-100MPH with 6.0 - 7L (39MPG - 32MPG). Ok is a diesel. But apart from Dieselgate, nothing has got better in the consumption. A maximum of half a liter less. Solely and alone - the 2010 BMW-1 with the 120hp diesel "Blue efficency" really surprised me. I drove overland as a company car often with 4.5 - 5L / 100km. (50-47MPG)

Of course I have left a lot of blablabla to read :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The car has been repaired from total loss damage in america. I don't know in which country. I think, a repair in Germany is incredible, because i have to ship every spare part from US to EU. Most things are well repaired, some things are bad. The paint is pretty 'bad'. But the seller has to judge - the car has to go back anyway, to assemble the trailer hitch.

We have a handful of dealers in Germany specializing in US vehicle import. Mostly they are accident vehicles. So these are not official ways we can keep. Thus, it is a gray import.
What year and manufacture date (on the driver's door) is your Pacifica? There is some variation in 2017 Pacificas depending on build date. Some Pacificas have ESS (stop start and have an auxiliary battery). The 2018s and later have a different Uconnect touchscreen system with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. Please add the year to the information in the signature line of the UserCP when you get a chance.

At one point it seemed like there were German car dealers that sold new Pacificas.
Does this dealer have a service department or do they just sell used cars? Even if the dealer isn't close to you, it might be easier to work with than having to get parts from the US. Just a thought.
https://www.wittkopp-automobile.de/us-fahrzeug-chrysler-pacifica-a__779_alle.php

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I rented a diesel Golf in Germany over 20 years ago. Probably the slowest car I've ever driven besides Lada. The engine would run out of power at 4000 RPM and the car could keep up with left lane autobahn traffic.
Pacificas are sold in Russia, so you may have a source for parts closer than USA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts