2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a few months back the check engine light came on driving down the interstate at about 67,000 miles. When I got home I hooked up my scan tool and pulled the codes and found "P000B B Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 1". First step was an oil change using a Chrysler filter, but that didn't solve the problem so I took it to my local dealer.

I made an appointment to have the van looked at on a Monday. A week later it still had not even been pulled into the shop. Three days later they said it was an EVAP leak, but they had not found the source and they were still "diagnosing it". Another couple of days and they said a reprogramming of the computer fixed the issue and the check engine light was gone. I asked about the mysterious EVAP leak and she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. Anyway the repair bill was $0, so I knew that they probably didn't actually do anything and were just hoping the check engine light wouldn't come back on. The van is not under warranty.

Fast forward about 12 hours later and the check engine light is back on. Back to the dealer again. It only took a couple of days this time for them to tell me the cam shaft sensor was bad and they would have to order one. They did make a "programming adjustment" again.

It took a couple of weeks for the sensor to come in and another couple of weeks for them to schedule the appointment to have it replaced. During this entire time the check engine light will come on for periods of time and also be off for periods of time. It actually was off for a full week just before this morning's appointment to have the cam sensor replaced.

So when I arrived this morning the same lady I have been dealing with acted like she had never seen the van or myself before. I had to go through the entire thing with her again and explain they had a part waiting for me. When I told her it was a camshaft sensor her exact words were "it probably won't fix it", but we will put it on. I explained to her that this was THEIR idea and they are the ones that diagnosed the van as needing this part. She then proceeded to tell me that it will probably need new camshaft and lifters to actually fix the problem. I said "at 70,000 miles?". She responded, yes that is about the right mileage for them and that they are considered "routine maintenance" on the Pacificas. I told her I had never heard of camshafts being a maintenance item except on exotic sports cars. After arguing for a while she also told me I can expect to replace the transmission every 100,000 miles. She said she has a big customer and all they buy is Pacificas. They supposedly have a standing order with them to replace the camshafts every 70,000 miles and the transmissions every 100,000 miles. She ballparked the camshaft replacement at $4K.

After reviewing my owners manual and checking Google, I can find no mention of camshafts being a maintenance item on the Chrysler 3.6L engines. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

** UPDATE 11-24-21 **
First thank you all for your input to confirm what I believed to be true. I have done a lot of research on the 3rd gen Pentastars since my initial post and they seem to be a solid engine. There is even a teardown video on YouTube of one with over 600,000 miles on it.

The dealer kept the van all day yesterday and never called to say it was ready. I was at work so I told my wife to go there just before closing and get the key, no matter what they tell you. If it's not fixed, I don't care just get the key so we could get the van back. When she arrived they told her the van was ready. The same service writer proceeded to tell her that she was wrong after all and it wasn't the cam sensor. Instead they just needed to reprogram. Keep in mind this is supposedly the same thing they did the last time when they kept the van for a couple of weeks. For good measure they left their dirty shop towels in the floorboard of the van.

So the service writer went from "oh it will take new camshafts to fix it" to reprogramming a 3rd time and it should be fine. On a side note, my wife said that while she was there another guy was there to pick up his Dodge truck. When he went to the truck to leave he discovered that his check engine light was still on even after they had "repaired" and charged him. He wasn't a happy camper.

I am pretty confident that the check engine light will be coming back very soon and when it does I am going to have a little chat with Chrysler about this dealer.

** UPDATE 11-30-21 **
As expected the check engine light is back on.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
214 Posts
Scheduling an appointment and not looking at the van for a week? yikes, you definitely need a new dealer. Where is that, so we know to avoid it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Your service writer is a moron who seems to believe the same is true for all of her customers.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
So a few months back the check engine light came on driving down the interstate at about 67,000 miles. When I got home I hooked up my scan tool and pulled the codes and found "P000B B Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 1". First step was an oil change using a Chrysler filter, but that didn't solve the problem so I took it to my local dealer.

I made an appointment to have the van looked at on a Monday. A week later it still had not even been pulled into the shop. Three days later they said it was an EVAP leak, but they had not found the source and they were still "diagnosing it". Another couple of days and they said a reprogramming of the computer fixed the issue and the check engine light was gone. I asked about the mysterious EVAP leak and she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. Anyway the repair bill was $0, so I knew that they probably didn't actually do anything and were just hoping the check engine light wouldn't come back on. The van is not under warranty.

Fast forward about 12 hours later and the check engine light is back on. Back to the dealer again. It only took a couple of days this time for them to tell me the cam shaft sensor was bad and they would have to order one.

It took a couple of weeks for the sensor to come in and another couple of weeks for them to schedule the appointment to have it replaced. During this entire time the check engine light will come on for periods of time and also be off for periods of time. It actually was off for a full week just before this morning's appointment to have the cam sensor replaced.

So when I arrived this morning the same lady I have been dealing with acted like she had never seen the van or myself before. I had to go through the entire thing with her again and explain they had a part waiting for me. When I told her it was a camshaft sensor her exact words were "it probably won't fix it", but we will put it on. I explained to her that this was THEIR idea and they are the ones that diagnosed the van as needing this part. She then proceeded to tell me that it will probably need new camshaft and lifters to actually fix the problem. I said "at 70,000 miles?". She responded, yes that is about the right mileage for them and that they are considered "routine maintenance" on the Pacificas. I told her I had never heard of camshafts being a maintenance item except on exotic sports cars. After arguing for a while she also told me I can expect to replace the transmission every 100,000 miles. She said she has a big customer and all they buy is Pacificas. They supposedly have a standing order with them to replace the camshafts every 70,000 miles and the transmissions every 100,000 miles. She ballparked the camshaft replacement at $4K.

After reviewing my owners manual and checking Google, I can find no mention of camshafts being a maintenance item on the Chrysler 3.6L engines. Has anyone heard of such a thing?
Customers that believe what they have been told.

They've done studies you know,

·
Registered
86 Posts
Agree - sounds like the service writer up front needs some training or has some other issues.

It's a shame as it seems like the techs in the back diagnosed everything properly. (I agree that the sensor is the first thing to replace for camshaft timing. Other items could be the oil control valve, or cam phasers. Cams usually shouldn't need maintenance unless the car oil hasn't been maintained properly)

I'm all for allowing people to correct their mistakes. How else will people learn? If possible, ask to speak to the sales manager - maybe they're unaware of how their front person is making incorrect statements. If that doesn't work, then I would leave an honest review somewhere with your detailed experience. When I purchased my Pacifica, my sales reps were pushing hard to get a positive reviews so it seems like someone higher up is paying attention - but that could just be my local area.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Agree - sounds like the service writer up front needs some training or has some other issues.
Also agree. She needs some real job training like learning to smile and say, "Would you like fries with that?"

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
That is completely absurd...

·
Banned
291 Posts

Fast forward about 12 hours later and the check engine light is back on. Back to the dealer again. It only took a couple of days this time for them to tell me the cam shaft sensor was bad and they would have to order one.

Yes if you do a little research the 1st and 2nd generation 3.6 pentastar engines that went in 2009 and up Jeeps, Town and countries and other Chrysler vehicles had roller lifter tap issues, valve and camshaft issues. The 3rd generation 3.6 motor starting in all the new '17 Pacificas and up those issues were ironed out and pretty much non existent now because of the new moderately re-designed engine. If you're out of warranty take it to a different mechanic not necessarily a dealer and get a second opinion These new engines are basically bulletproof with millions of tested miles you shouldn't be really having these issues and if you are it's extremely rare now. Jump on YouTube and check out the videos on this you'll see it everywhere..

Do 3 or 4 drain and fills on your transmission with the 8-9 speed Mopar green stuff and you should get more than a hundred thousand miles out of your transmission. They say the fluid is sealed for the life of the transmission but I wouldn't do that, I just did 6 drain and fills on mine over the summer along with a drain and fill on the coolant..

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
738 Posts
Yes if you do a little research the 1st and 2nd generation 3.6 pentastar engines that went in 2009 and up Jeeps, Town and countries and other Chrysler vehicles had roller lifter tap issues, valve and camshaft issues. The 3rd generation 3.6 motor starting in all the new '17 Pacificas and up those issues were ironed out and pretty much non existent now because of the new moderately re-designed engine. If you're out of warranty take it to a different mechanic not necessarily a dealer and get a second opinion These new engines are basically bulletproof with millions of tested miles you shouldn't be really having these issues and if you are it's extremely rare now. Jump on YouTube and check out the videos on this you'll see it everywhere..

Do 3 or 4 drain and fills on your transmission with the 8-9 speed Mopar green stuff and you should get more than a hundred thousand miles out of your transmission. They say the fluid is sealed for the life of the transmission but I wouldn't do that, I just did 6 drain and fills on mine over the summer along with a drain and fill on the coolant..
I agree, especially with the statement regarding changing coolant and tranny fluids. Yes, I know the manual says 100k miles for the coolant, but have you ever looked at coolant that old? It isn't that the stuff is 100% effective until 100,000 miles and then quits. No, it degrades over time; slowly at first and more quickly as time goes on and it becomes more acidic and starts eating at head gaskets.

Tranny fluid degrades over time, too.

But Chryslers are mass-marketed vehicles. The target audience is not the auto enthusiast who has a keen interest in keeping their vehicle for many years. Most mass-market buyers don't want to be bothered. Just make it simple, like 10k miles between oil changes and 100k miles for coolant. And seal the tranny so we never have to worry about it. The auto makers can wash their hands of responsibility once the power train warranty ends, in our case after 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Head gasket shot at 70k miles? Gee, that's too bad. But Chrysler said the coolant was good to 100k miles! No, Chrysler said not to let it go beyond 100k miles. You can flush it out anytime before then.

Reactions: BriPac

·
Banned
291 Posts
I agree, especially with the statement regarding changing coolant and tranny fluids. Yes, I know the manual says 100k miles for the coolant, but have you ever looked at coolant that old? It isn't that the stuff is 100% effective until 100,000 miles and then quits. No, it degrades over time; slowly at first and more quickly as time goes on and it becomes more acidic and starts eating at head gaskets.

Tranny fluid degrades over time, too.

But Chryslers are mass-marketed vehicles. The target audience is not the auto enthusiast who has a keen interest in keeping their vehicle for many years. Most mass-market buyers don't want to be bothered. Just make it simple, like 10k miles between oil changes and 100k miles for coolant. And seal the tranny so we never have to worry about it. The auto makers can wash their hands of responsibility once the power train warranty ends, in our case after 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Head gasket shot at 70k miles? Gee, that's too bad. But Chrysler said the coolant was good to 100k miles! No, Chrysler said not to let it go beyond 100k miles. You can flush it out anytime before then.
Yep I couldn't agree more. On mine Oil gets changed religiously with synthetic 0w/20 ms6395 every 3k miles, transmission fluid completely exchanged every 25k miles and coolant the same. On my '18 gas with 54k Miles I just exchanged all my coolant and it was completely orange like tomato soup when Factory it should be bright purple, Now it's all bright purple again. When that stuff degrades it can affect your water pump bearing to so your water pump goes out quicker and that's no joke to replace... Bottom line people remember fluids are lifeblood and nothing to put on the bottom of any list, treat it accordingly.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Yep I couldn't agree more. On mine Oil gets changed religiously with synthetic 0w/20 ms6395 every 3k miles, transmission fluid completely exchanged every 25k miles and coolant the same.
Thats way overkill, but the point is valid. Carmakers set their maintenance schedules to compete with each other, and everybody tries to have the "lowest maintenance" vehicle. I would absolutely maintain any car you want to keep a long time more than the maintenance schedule requires. Really 10k is fine with a good synthetic oil, but I would do 5K. Definitely don't believe lifetime transmission fluids. I would say 50k on that.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
559 Posts
Thats way overkill, but the point is valid. Carmakers set their maintenance schedules to compete with each other, and everybody tries to have the "lowest maintenance" vehicle. I would absolutely maintain any car you want to keep a long time more than the maintenance schedule requires. Really 10k is fine with a good synthetic oil, but I would do 5K. Definitely don't believe lifetime transmission fluids. I would say 50k on that.
I agree 5K for synthetic oil changes and my oil life monitor seems to roughly agree with me. And I was also planing a 50K transmission fluid job when I get there. I also want a 5 year coolant change.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
I agree 5K for synthetic oil changes and my oil life monitor seems to roughly agree with me. And I was also planing a 50K transmission fluid job when I get there. I also want a 5 year coolant change.
Whats crazy are cars like BMWs that want the oil changed every 25k!

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
BMW also deleted the oil dip stick. You can’t even check the oil.
My Mercedes S560 doesn't have a dipstick either. There's an electronic gauge in the instrument cluster but obviously you can't look at the condition of the oil...

·
Banned
291 Posts
Yeah it is a little Overkill I guess I'm a little neurotic with it but working at dealerships in my teens I got to hear a lot of horror stories.. at 50k miles on my Paci when I saw the coolant was totally Orange when it should be purple concerned me so now it's 25k mi on that. 5k mi for synthetic is the norm I just do it at 3k because in Vegas it's 118 in the summer and breaks it down quicker so it won't hurt. 50k mi on the trans is best but I'm a backyard mechanic semi retired so gives me something to do lol..Harsh dry weather out here is totally brutal...Glad you found the clunk, so the ESS battery was disconnected?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts